Impressive

Well lets look at current 2013 signees.

Nick Fuller is from Wisconsin. According to ESPN he had offers from Nebraska, Butler, Illinois, Marquette and Minnesota. All, but one of those teams are ranked in the top 25.

Nathan Hawkins out of Texas had offers from Nebraska, K St, Oklahoma St and UTEP. A less impressive list although K St has a very good recent basketball history and OSU landed the one of the best SG in the country in 2012. They can recruit a little.

Tai Webster is overseas so obviously won't have the same recognition. Although he has offers from Pitt, LSU, Larry Brown at SMU and a strong St. Mary's program.

Basically recruiting will have to be a gradual improvement. We aren't going to fight off Ohio St or Michigan for recruits right now. Beating out some of the teams we have is very promising though.

I like the spacing we have on offense and the fact that they are more aggressive offensively. I look forward to the continue development of the players and of the new ones we will be bringing in.

Yes. At least they try to attack to the best of their abilities. It's not Doc ball where they pass is around for 32 seconds and then throw up a prayer.

I don't mean to rain on the parade here cause I'm as big a Miles supporter as there is, but I don't find this that impressive. Doc would have also had very similar results, holding everyone but 3 to under 70 points. He would also be in the neighborhood of 9-9... which is why he got fired. These guys were all recruited to come in and hold teams under 70. We can see some of the Miles effect in the way this team fights and looks to score instead of running clock every possession, but the biggest difference we'll see is in years to come as we watch better players come in and watch players actually develop as they grow in the program.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Doc also have higher caliber players and better athletes? Some of those good players Doc had left when we hired Miles, IIRC.

Your not raining on anyone's parade, but I think your looking at a coach doing the same that our previous coach was doing. Yes, by numbers your right, but doing as much, with less talent and still competing close with big teams, is what I am impressed with.

Doc averaged 61 PPG defensively, while Miles is at 62 PPG. I also believe the competition in the B1G is much tougher this year than last year.

No. He may have had a couple more on the team, but they weren't much better. That's why he didn't win more. They may have had more potential, but as players in the moment they were not much better.

Miles will do great things while here and he is getting tremendous effort out of his guys and I'm astonished at how well they've done. I just didn't want people to forget that Doc's teams also played their asses off and were extremely good on defense.

Well lets look at current 2013 signees.

Nick Fuller is from Wisconsin. According to ESPN he had offers from Nebraska, Butler, Illinois, Marquette and Minnesota. All, but one of those teams are ranked in the top 25.

Nathan Hawkins out of Texas had offers from Nebraska, K St, Oklahoma St and UTEP. A less impressive list although K St has a very good recent basketball history and OSU landed the one of the best SG in the country in 2012. They can recruit a little.

Tai Webster is overseas so obviously won't have the same recognition. Although he has offers from Pitt, LSU, Larry Brown at SMU and a strong St. Mary's program.

Basically recruiting will have to be a gradual improvement. We aren't going to fight off Ohio St or Michigan for recruits right now. Beating out some of the teams we have is very promising though.

I realize they had other offers and reference that in my post. What I don't know was how serious those offers were. Were they contingent on those schools not getting someone else? I couldn't really find much about that. Both Illinois and Okie St. already have other SGs committed and one is a four-star so I have a feeling he was a higher choice for them that the guy we got.

I'm not trying to run our guys down. I'm not saying we CAN'T get any top-shelf recruits. I really hope we do. I'm just afraid we're fighting too much of an uphill battle to do it consistently.

I don't mean to rain on the parade here cause I'm as big a Miles supporter as there is, but I don't find this that impressive. Doc would have also had very similar results, holding everyone but 3 to under 70 points. He would also be in the neighborhood of 9-9... which is why he got fired. These guys were all recruited to come in and hold teams under 70. We can see some of the Miles effect in the way this team fights and looks to score instead of running clock every possession, but the biggest difference we'll see is in years to come as we watch better players come in and watch players actually develop as they grow in the program.

Miles will do great things while here and he is getting tremendous effort out of his guys and I'm astonished at how well they've done. I just didn't want people to forget that Doc's teams also played their asses off and were extremely good on defense.

You have me confused here. Your not impressed, but your astonished at how well they've done??

You give Miles the players that left due to the coaching change, I could almost guarantee he would have a better record this year than Doc had last year, with a stronger competition.

Doc didn't recruit worth a darn. Almost every recruit was NU vs Texas State or Cal Fullerton. Never beating out other major conference teams for players.

And I really hope this changes. But I'm skeptical. Not about Miles. Just anyone trying to recruit to Nebraska.

There's not a bunch of huge schools on the offer list of the commits we have now. A couple decent ones but I'm not sure how strong each was. I know it's still early and I truly am rooting for Miles.

Here's my issue: there are too many competitive division 1 school of which most are a lot closer to 99.9% of the recruits than we are. Take for example the Chicago area - a huge population center that's relatively close to NU. If there is a good prospect in Chicago, he could choose Illinois, Indiana, Ohio St., Michigan St., Michigan, Minnesota or Wisconsin - all of which have a lot more basketball tradition that the Huskers, are as close or closer to Chicago, and all have been or will be in the Top 25 this year. And that's just our conference - with Purdue not far behind. Then you get into Louisville, Kentucky, Notre Dame, Xavier, Marquette, Cincinnati, DePaul or Creighton. Throw in a few wild cards like Pittsburgh, Butler, Missouri and your at about 20 schools that would be "better" basketball schools than Nebraska and are all closer to home.

I really hope I'm wrong. Maybe a couple good pickups and some good coaching will change momentum but we have a lot to overcome.

:boxosoap Sorry, I'm done now.

We aren't going to go from perennial bottom dweller to Duke in 1-2 seasons. I would say, with the exception of 5-10 teams, that most teams in the tournament every year aren't composed of mostly blue chip recruits. You pick up a solid cast of players, coach them up, and hope to pull 1 or 2 guys every couple years that are next level type of players. Nebraska does have enough solid players in close proximity to fill several roster spots (Biggs, Agau, Gassell, etc.) We just need to win those recruiting battles. Amazing (NBA Quality) facilities and an extremely likable coach are great steps. Winning is the next step. Before you know it, we have 5-10 solid players that want N each year and we can be selective.

Remember, we are talking basketball here. It doesn't take near as much time, nor near as many studs, to make a solid team.

• Fire 1

At the end of the day, the only thing that impresses me is wins....

That doesnt mean that I cant have hope... and I will tell you, Miles is giving me a lot of hope.

And the future is a lot to be excited for.

I wouldnt be shocked to see this team dancing in 3 years.

Next year we have 6 guys coming in who can make an impact.

We keep Gallegos.

The guys we lose are Almeida=lazy, bad stamina at time.

Talley=wants to be a super star but doesnt seem to have the focus to achieve that...

Ubel=Hate this loss but isnt a killer.

This team will be leaps and bounds better next year

We aren't going to go from perennial bottom dweller to Duke in 1-2 seasons. I would say, with the exception of 5-10 teams, that most teams in the tournament every year aren't composed of mostly blue chip recruits. You pick up a solid cast of players, coach them up, and hope to pull 1 or 2 guys every couple years that are next level type of players. Nebraska does have enough solid players in close proximity to fill several roster spots (Biggs, Agau, Gassell, etc.) We just need to win those recruiting battles. Amazing (NBA Quality) facilities and an extremely likable coach are great steps. Winning is the next step. Before you know it, we have 5-10 solid players that want N each year and we can be selective.

Remember, we are talking basketball here. It doesn't take near as much time, nor near as many studs, to make a solid team.

Agreed with you about being a top recruiting school in 1-2 years, but we will get there like you stated.

I think recruiting for basketball is much easier than football. Weather doesn't really become a factor, as its played indoors, unlike football.

You have a ton of kids to pick from for basketball as well. You would think Miles would try to recruit instate more as well. I remember when I was in highschool, we had a few good kids at Burke. One of them came to play, Jason Dourisseau. Starting with strong instate recruiting might be a good first step, and surrounding areas. Might be our best luck to get decent kids. Then again, I am not a coach or a recruiter, so I am not sure whats good enough. Lol

what are your expectations for Nebraska basketball? what would you guys consider a success for Miles? is getting to the NIT in a couple years good enough appearing in the tournament every 4 years good enough? i dont follow college basketball that much amd oly really watch march madness but if Nebraska can get into the NIT with an appearance in march madness every 4-5 years and i would be happy i just dont ever see nebraska ever getting deep into the tournament like sweet 16 or elite 8

I like the spacing we have on offense and the fact that they are more aggressive offensively. I look forward to the continue development of the players and of the new ones we will be bringing in.

Yes. At least they try to attack to the best of their abilities. It's not Doc ball where they pass is around for 32 seconds and then throw up a prayer.

I think you touched on a good point. The players can use their abilities a bit more with the current philosophy. Miles can allow more freedom within this offense so a player can create or find 'a good shot' for themselves easier with their talents. I also think Miles is a little more tolerant when players don't recognize what a good shot is in that he lets them play through it as he doesn't want to make them gunshy.

what are your expectations for Nebraska basketball? what would you guys consider a success for Miles? is getting to the NIT in a couple years good enough appearing in the tournament every 4 years good enough? i dont follow college basketball that much amd oly really watch march madness but if Nebraska can get into the NIT with an appearance in march madness every 4-5 years and i would be happy i just dont ever see nebraska ever getting deep into the tournament like sweet 16 or elite 8

NCAA Tourney every 2-3 years... Win a game or two

Be a top 6 team in the B1G.

Basically Danny Nee era expectations. I agree. We're not going to become some basketball superpower, but it will be nice to be in that 20-25 win range every year with a postseason to look forward to. Something to give us something to get behind after football.

Basically Danny Nee era expectations. I agree. We're not going to become some basketball superpower, but it will be nice to be in that 20-25 win range every year with a postseason to look forward to. Something to give us something to get behind after football.

I just wanna be worth a damn. Going into the Conf tourney I want to be able to say "man we have a shot at this" I wanna see a few all B1G players every few years. If Shields and Rivers progress like they have this season into next season we will have a couple guys that can play ball with the transfers and the more highly ranked recruits we have coming in.

I really think Miles will do some good things here at Nebr. The schedule didn't do us any favors this year with MSU, OSU, Minn and Wisc twice each. Plus single games vs Indy and Mich. I expect we can split with Purdue, Iowa and Illinois. NW and PSU are home games so 2 wins there. That would be 6 wins in the Big 10. That would make us 14-17 this year plus whatever we do in the tournament. Next year with a lot more help on offense we could go 18-13 or maybe 19-12. After that I hope we can do 10-8 in the Big 10 and 11-2 in the non con games for a nice 21-10 record.

I think that would give fans something to be excited about and get people in the stands. If most games are competitive and we knock off a few big teams the excitement will be electric.