Recruiting Misses

Gale Sayers if stories are to be believed spurned NU to go to KU when the Jayhawks gave him a car.

The story I always heard was that he went on a recruiting trip to Nebraska and attended a fraternity party. He was with a friend of his who was also black. Sayers was apparently welcomed at the party, but the friend was asked to hang out in the basement or some other isolated area. Take it for what its worth.

Emmett Smith

I thought I heard on the radio the other day that because NU promise Harrison Beck that he would be the only QB in the class, that we missed a chance on Sanchez? I know that is what 1620 said. I didn't realize that Sanchez wanted to come to NU.

Beck was a bust, and Sanchez sucks in the NFL , but would have been nice to land him out of HS

Still....Emmett Smith

Callahan recruited Sanchez hard but, I don't think he even got him to visit. Sanchez was going to the University of Spoiled Children all the way. Faulk was a big miss and Nebraska took Terry Rogers instead of Barry Sanders. Rogers was a big time recruit, he just got hurt and never recovered.

Dont know how many got my joke about Haloti Ngata in antother thread, so ill explain.

In my mind he was probably the biggest recruiting miss weve ever had. I was watching the All American bowl a few years back and saw a Nebraska commit man-handling everyone. Very cool. If i remember it right he was a solid commit til we got beat by Maimi in the Rose bowl. De-commited and went to Oregon. Probably would have been one of our best ever.

Ngata's story was his nearly 100 year old dad was ill and he wanted to be closer to home in Utah. After a very brief flirtation with U of Utah, he ended up at Oregon. HIs father died shortly there after.

Would Crawford have come here if not for baseball?

And wow on Emmit and Barry. :o Really didn't remember that.

Yes, Crawford was on his way. The Devil Rays gave him a tasty bonus and he decided to play baseball. I remember seeing Solich right afterwards and he was laughing saying 'hey, how am I supposed to compete against a million dollar bonus.'

Coach at Auburn.

Crawford was signed, then got a huge signing bonus(at that time) so I never consider him a miss.

The deal with Faulk ours he was dead set at being a RB. NU wanted him as a CB. Believe it was Tenopir that finally convinced TO to agree that Marshall should get a chance on offense During his visit a defensive coach who was unaware of this decision, ran into Marshall and said something to the extent of "look at that great DB". Well that was a straw that broke the camels back. At least that its the story Milt tells.

Callahan said after signing Beck, he was rated meter than Sanchez on their board so they pursued him over mark.

Ngata was always my biggest one. The guy was strictly breast mode.

Reggie Smith is up there as well. As well as Tom Zibikowski

Crawford was signed, then got a huge signing bonus(at that time) so I never consider him a miss.

The deal with Faulk ours he was dead set at being a RB. NU wanted him as a CB. Believe it was Tenopir that finally convinced TO to agree that Marshall should get a chance on offense During his visit a defensive coach who was unaware of this decision, ran into Marshall and said something to the extent of "look at that great DB". Well that was a straw that broke the camels back. At least that its the story Milt tells.

Callahan said after signing Beck, he was rated meter than Sanchez on their board so they pursued him over mark.

Ngata was always my biggest one. The guy was strictly breast mode.

Reggie Smith is up there as well. As well as Tom Zibikowski

I hate it when they go breast mode....

Gale Sayers if stories are to be believed spurned NU to go to KU when the Jayhawks gave him a car.

Sayers was asked to walk on, not offered a schol by Devaney. Thats what I was told and read about it.

GBR!!!

Sayers was going to Kansas before Devaney got to Nebraska. In the spring of 1962 when Devaney got to NU, Nebraska wasn't all that good. Kansas was actually pretty good at the time. That is why he went to Kansas.

Sayers was asked to walk on, not offered a schol by Devaney. Thats what I was told and read about it.

GBR!!!

Sayers was going to Kansas before Devaney got to Nebraska. In the spring of 1962 when Devaney got to NU, Nebraska wasn't all that good. Kansas was actually pretty good at the time. That is why he went to Kansas.

He still was asked to walk on though, by Bob D. Who knows if he changes his mind, with the offer.

GBR!!!

GBR!!!

Sayers was one of my all time favorite Pro guys - yes I'm that old. If not for his knee injuries, I think it would have been and may still be his running record everyone (Smith, Sanders) would be aiming at. Sanders is the only guy close to his moves IMHO. If I remeber right Sayers had a longer stride but they both could stop on a dime and change directions. More than a few jocks were left on the field trying to tackle both of these guys.