Legends division?

BCS1994

Ohio St. might end up with 1-2 conference losses, but that will probably still be enough too win the Leaders.... The Legends Division is the class of the B1G, depth-wise....

Could be more as well. You never know until the season is over. If Miller gets knocked out early, every game could be a loss. That offense revolves around Miller way too much. No other play makers in the backfield. Michigan knows all to well about relying on that one certain player and having it all fall down (Lincoln last year). They were fortunate enough to have a talented Gardner to excel.

I agree anything can happen, but the talent is on its way at Ohio St..... It won't take Urban long to get it....

Ohio St. might end up with 1-2 conference losses, but that will probably still be enough too win the Leaders.... The Legends Division is the class of the B1G, depth-wise....

Could be more as well. You never know until the season is over. If Miller gets knocked out early, every game could be a loss. That offense revolves around Miller way too much. No other play makers in the backfield. Michigan knows all to well about relying on that one certain player and having it all fall down (Lincoln last year). They were fortunate enough to have a talented Gardner to excel.

I agree anything can happen, but the talent is on its way at Ohio St..... It won't take Urban long to get it....

You can claim they have the talent, but its not been seen on the field. I might sound pro-Miller here, but there isn't a QB in the nation to fill his shoes and do what he does. Even if they have a decent back-up, your asking a lot out of him, hence tOSU needing more than Miller being the play maker. We saw how they fell this year and barely won when Miller got knocked out of a game last year (not sure which one it was, but it was a "horse collar" tackle that sent him to the hospital). I've liked Miller, his attitude and his will/want to be the best, but pressure needs to be brought off him this year for them to have success and him to stay healthy. If its anything like last year, he is done for.

You can claim they have the talent, but its not been seen on the field. I might sound pro-Miller here, but there isn't a QB in the nation to fill his shoes and do what he does. Even if they have a decent back-up, your asking a lot out of him, hence tOSU needing more than Miller being the play maker. We saw how they fell this year and barely won when Miller got knocked out of a game last year (not sure which one it was, but it was a "horse collar" tackle that sent him to the hospital). I've liked Miller, his attitude and his will/want to be the best, but pressure needs to be brought off him this year for them to have success and him to stay healthy. If its anything like last year, he is done for.

nick - are you in one of your modes where you just argue so you can see yourself arguing? anyone who doesn't see Ohio State as the clear favorite is clearly delusional - and anyone that doesn't think they "could" lose a game is also delusional. But the odds are going to be heavily in their favor. If you call out everyone on this board that acknowledges that during the offseason, with a crapshoot argument your post count is going to go through the roof. Taylor Martinez has just as likely a chance to get hurt as Miller does. And he has a history of it. And we have just as inadequate experience behind Taylor as they do behind Braxton. If you base your entire argument on a hypothetical injury then it scares me to think what your opinion of our team is - because we're in even worse shape when it comes to depth.

nick - are you in one of your modes where you just argue so you can see yourself arguing? anyone who doesn't see Ohio State as the clear favorite is clearly delusional - and anyone that doesn't think they "could" lose a game is also delusional. But the odds are going to be heavily in their favor. If you call out everyone on this board that acknowledges that during the offseason, with a crapshoot argument your post count is going to go through the roof. Taylor Martinez has just as likely a chance to get hurt as Miller does. And he has a history of it. And we have just as inadequate experience behind Taylor as they do behind Braxton. If you base your entire argument on a hypothetical injury then it scares me to think what your opinion of our team is - because we're in even worse shape when it comes to depth.

When the hell has my opinion become a statement of an arguing? I thought the forum was meant to discuss what we thought? I am simply giving my reasons on why I don't see why tOSU is as big of a favorite to win as many seem to think. Its a fact, that if Miller gets injured, tOSU could become a very big underdog to win their division, depending on the timing of that happening. I just think its funny how they are declared the winner BEFORE the season even begins. They are a favorite, as long as Miller is healthy. I just don't see that happening. Its funny how people here got the same crap for declaring Nebraska was the favorite for winning our division, but those same people giving them hell, are the same ones doing it with tOSU. You do realize their defense was not good right and they lost majority of their defense? Defense wins the big games, and they will need a defense to beat PSU, Michigan and Northwestern. I said the same thing out Michigan last year, when everyone was claiming they were going to win our division. If D Rob got hurt, they would be done for. I guess I was just watching myself argue then too I guess.

I have also not once said we were going to win our division. Can we? We have a better chance of winning it than anyone else. Not because of Taylor, because of the depth and the talent we have besides just him. If Taylor gets hurt, we are screwed in the sense of experience at the QB position. I can not vouch for a single QB to come in and win, besides statements from the practice field, which are two different ball games. The difference between tOSU and our offense, our QB's are all adjusted to the same style of offense, with the exception of Kellogg. tOSU bases their offense off of Miller's feet. Am I wrong about that? We are no longer that one dimentional. Sure we make Taylor use his feet, but not as much as we use to. We also have an ass load of talent in the backfield (Cross, Heard, Zimmerer, Janovich, Marrow and Abdullah), and a hell of a receiving core, something tOSU does not have. Our offenses are totally different, and we aren't schemed off of one player like we were the Taylor's RS Freshman and Sophomore year.

Nick, not to argue here, but to point out a contradiction. You state that Ohio State is losing a lot of seniors on the defensive side, their defense will be questionable until they see the field, no one knows. But I think, not reading back through, you seem to think our defense will be better with a lot of freshman seeing the field. Theirs have seen the field, most of ours that we are banking so heavily on have never played a down.

Just curious as how you come to the conclusion theirs is questionable and ours will be better.

• Fire 1

Nick, let's look at the Leaders division...

Ohio State - Has Miller coming back, the whole offense minus a couple offensie tackles. Defense loses some, but they have depth.

Wisconsin - New coach, they lose RB Ball. It will be a transition year for them. I don't think they will be too succesful under the first year of this new coach out of Utah State.

Purdue - New coach, and they are Purdue...they won't contend for a Leader title.

Illinois - I don't know if their coach got fired...but they are the worst team in the B1G.

Penn State - Ineglibile, plus they lost their starting QB. They are very reliant on the throwing game. and the recruiting sanctions will really start to show now. They will be hurting.

Indiana - They are on the up swing, but they are not on the same level as Ohio State.

Ohio State always has the talent.

When the hell has my opinion become a statement of an arguing? I thought the forum was meant to discuss what we thought? I am simply giving my reasons on why I don't see why tOSU is as big of a favorite to win as many seem to think. Its a fact, that if Miller gets injured, tOSU could become a very big underdog to win their division, depending on the timing of that happening. I just think its funny how they are declared the winner BEFORE the season even begins. They are a favorite, as long as Miller is healthy. I just don't see that happening. Its funny how people here got the same crap for declaring Nebraska was the favorite for winning our division, but those same people giving them hell, are the same ones doing it with tOSU.

Just a quick statement about OSU, there is a very good chance they drop at least one game next year. I highly doubt they go 24-0 over a two year span during regular season. However, if Miller does get hurt, Kenny G is a very capable backup and can win the majority of the games in the B1G. He has come into games when Miller went to the bench/hospital and filled in very well. He isn't as dynamic as Miller but the offense can still move the ball with him behind center (at least that was the case last year). The backfield isn't the problem on the offensive side at OSU, it is the receiving talent. That is one area that I see Nebraska having an advantage over OSU. The other areas are up in the air if you ask me.

Nebraska and OSU, I think, have the fewest question marks coming into the season in the B1G. Hopefully that is the game we see in the championship game.

Nick, not to argue here, but to point out a contradiction. You state that Ohio State is losing a lot of seniors on the defensive side, their defense will be questionable until they see the field, no one knows. But I think, not reading back through, you seem to think our defense will be better with a lot of freshman seeing the field. Theirs have seen the field, most of ours that we are banking so heavily on have never played a down.

Just curious as how you come to the conclusion theirs is questionable and ours will be better.

I am not here to argue either, just like to voice my opinion. Obviously Chris thinks that's called arguing.

I seem to think our defense is going to do good, because I follow our team, review practices just like many do here. Do I think we will come out and dominate right away? No. I also don't think we will be excellent, but we will be better than we were this year. We have more talent, just less experience. Its good in its own ways, but it has its flaws as well (meaningless penalties for example). tOSU had a load of talent, far more than ours and their defense wasn't good at all, in my opinion. I have a couple friends that are tOSU fans, and they follow their team and they have told me that they are skeptical of how their defense is going to look. Not promising on their end if you know what I mean. I am just not going to count any teams out, until I see the first 4 games of next year. No one knows how Iowa nor Wisconsin are going to look. Northwestern, Penn State and Michigan are all legitimate threats on beating tOSU. That is all I am saying. Those 3 losses could make it a race on that side of the map. If Miller stays healthy, they have a good chance, but without him, its going to be hard.

Jaws, I agree with you that Kenny G is a good back up, but he needs to have other play makers to be able to win. That is all I have been trying to say.

I just find it hard to believe that Ohio State's talent is not superior to ours. I think we will see them march through the division. Michigan may give them a fight. I was very impressed with Michigan's play in their bowl game. Bad for the Big that they lost in the final seconds.

I will really wait until the UCLA game this year. I think there are more questions to be answered. I think our offense is good, but against top teams we really did not score as easily as some seem to think.

I'm going to say that next year, it'll have to be us, with the more experienced team and softer schedule.

Now if Michigan has a ridiculous recruiting class and everyone on that team plays out of their minds, then that could change.

I only see Northwestern being a stumbling block for either team. They might beat us or Michigan, but not both...

I think you're cutting Michigan a bit short. I think they'll be a much improved team next year on both sides of the ball. Other than us and OSU, where is the conference game that Michigan will be the underdog? As of today, I'd give the edge to Michigan @home over NU. I agree that I think NW is a notch below both UM and NU.

Despite our easier schedule, I forsee the same record (perhaps a game worse) as last year. On D, I think what we percieve to potentially gain in talent gets offset with lack of experience. The O was pretty good last year. Can it really get THAT much better? I'll buy it if Taylor can make the same leap made from his soph to junior season.

Considering Bo's track record (not a knock, just basing on past performance) I'm unsure how we do better than a 10-2 regular season. If that means only one conference loss (prob Michigan) we have a pretty good shot at the division. I think a loss to Michigan and one other, in conference, ends our division championship hopes.

Well, if I'm wrong and I end up looking like an ass, it won't be the last time it happens...

But, it's going to come down between us and Michigan, and it'll be that way for the next couple years at least