North Korea?

North Korea said Tuesday that it had conducted a new, more powerful underground nuclear test using more sophisticated technology, jolting the already fragile security situation in Northeast Asia.

The test probably took place near P'unggye and yielded "several kilotons," according to assessments cited by the U.S. director of national intelligence. It drew condemnation from around the globe and prompted an emergency session of the U.N. Security Council on Tuesday morning.

It is the first nuclear test carried out under the North's young leader, Kim Jong Un, who appears to be sticking closely to his father's policy of building up the isolated state's military deterrent to keep its foes at bay, shrugging off the resulting international condemnation and sanctions.

CNN Article

OK....with the news that broke this morning, it is pretty easy to claim they are close to putting together a nuclear bomb that can go on a missile that can reach the US. I personally don't think you can view the leaders of NK as anything rational which means I would not be shocked if one year or 5 years from now they don't lob one at us.

So, at what point are you willing to support us doing something about it?

Me personally? After the debacle of the middle eastern wars we are just now getting out of, I promised myself that I would not support another military action. Call me a pacifist that still believes there is a need for military actions but understands they will never be carried out to the fullest without our soldiers being caught up in a political battle in Washington and back home.

I'm not worried about NK, but about China because we don't know how they'll react to all this.

China really wants to maintain the status quo in NK. If there are drastic changes . . . there will be a lot of refugees heading north.

I concur with you on that, but if NK keeps acting up, will they take care of it, or let the smurf helmets do so?

Which in turn will come begging for the US military to actually do the dirty work.

Considering that 40 cents of every dollar of global military spending is spent by the US . . . that's probably a safe assumption. Why risk your own troops and money when you can just ask the US to contribute more of each?

Which, brings me back to my original question.

Last possible resort and no boots on the ground in NK.

I agree, last possible resort and no boots on the ground in NK. But if little dick crazy guy does or attempts the unthinkable, then I have no hesitancy for us to bomb every square inch of that nuthouse state known as NK. Somebody suggested "back to the stone age" but, since that could be accomplished after only the first day, I'm thinking maybe further back than that. Howabout back to the Big Bang era?