Omaha Central

Well, the way I understand it is there will need to be some rules changes before many teams can do something like this. I think there is a rule about the maximum number of miles a team can travel to play a game. Omaha had to get a waver from the rule to go to this tournament.

IIRC, the waiver was because they had to travel on the last day of the moratorium to get to the tournament. It didn't have anything to do with where the tournament was located.

This is what happens when you go to open enrollments instead of "neighborhood" schools..........

Are you saying this is a bad thing? Or good thing? I'm being serious, because I'm on the fence. I just dont know what to think of the situation.

I think it's a bad thing. High School recruiting gets out of control, plus you lose that "neighborhood" feel and contiguous pride........

Well, the way I understand it is there will need to be some rules changes before many teams can do something like this. I think there is a rule about the maximum number of miles a team can travel to play a game. Omaha had to get a waver from the rule to go to this tournament.

IIRC, the waiver was because they had to travel on the last day of the moratorium to get to the tournament. It didn't have anything to do with where the tournament was located.

The moratorium was part of it. The big thing was the NSAA limits the number of tournaments a school can be in. It ties in with the number of games Nebraska high school teams can play. There was a bunch of political bs involved.

When the South Sioux City girls were a machine they used to go to national tourneys in Chicago and California

The moratorium was part of it. The big thing was the NSAA limits the number of tournaments a school can be in. It ties in with the number of games Nebraska high school teams can play. There was a bunch of political bs involved.

When the South Sioux City girls were a machine they used to go to national tourneys in Chicago and California

I believe the NSAA used to simply set the number of games and each tournament only counted as one game. I see they've changed that now to be 18 games plus two tournaments. However, I only see two tournaments on their schedule - the Metro Holiday and the City of Palms.

Not disagreeing with you just don't know the details.

Found an article on Omaha.com

The Nebraska School Activities Association board voted 8-0 on Thursday for a waiver of its Christmas moratorium rules to let Omaha Central’s boys basketball team play in the City of Palms Invitational in Fort Myers, Fla., from Dec. 18 to 22.

The five-day moratorium begins on Dec. 22. Central has a 50-50 chance of playing that day and its preliminary travel plan has the Eagles returning home on the 23rd.

It doesn't mention anything other than the moratorium but there could have been more behind-the-scenes.