Braylon Heard Transferring...

Nebraska had one of the most prolific offenses in the nation last year; Heard was just a small part of that so I think we will be fine. I do believe that he has talent and potential and I hate that he is leaving. But having said that... the reality of the situation is that when a team brings in stud recruits every year, in this day and age of college football, it is only natural that some talented people will transfer. Just my take.

Most prolific in the nation? Eh! Maybe the B1G. One of the most prolific would mean top 5-10 IMO.. I don't think we were that high.

I think it's fair to say that the coaches staff completely botched this situation. According to the OWH, over a four-game stretch in the Big Ten after Rex went down, he only recorded 10 carries while Ameer recorded 95. There's no reason to distribute the ball that unevenly, especially considering how fatigued Ameer looked at the end of the season.

I think it's fair to say that the coaches staff completely botched this situation. According to the OWH, over a four-game stretch in the Big Ten after Rex went down, he only recorded 10 carries while Ameer recorded 95. There's no reason to distribute the ball that unevenly, especially considering how fatigued Ameer looked at the end of the season.

Rumors of injury to Heard's leg, though. I have no idea what's true. Everyone is banged up that time of year. You'd think that if he's able to get 10 carries he can get 20, maybe 30. That's a heck of a lot less wear on Ameer, and better "roster management" (at the risk of irritating BRB, sorry).

Everyone should just start praying that these new guys grasp the system immediately. The thought of Ameer going down now makes me cringe. We will be in a world of hurt.

Like when the thought of Rex going down came to fruition? I'm tellin you guys, we would be fine. Ameer did not have much more experience prior to last year than the true freshman will have this year. Rex carried a massive load in 2011. Only thing Ameer really had on them would be the extra year to grasp the system.

I dont think so. Ameer was better. Feed him the ball. Just my opinion of course. As far as being wore down at the end of the season, that's no different than any back in the country. He's your guy. Feed him. You dont take him out at crunch time.

Nebraska had one of the most prolific offenses in the nation last year; Heard was just a small part of that so I think we will be fine. I do believe that he has talent and potential and I hate that he is leaving. But having said that... the reality of the situation is that when a team brings in stud recruits every year, in this day and age of college football, it is only natural that some talented people will transfer. Just my take.

Most prolific in the nation? Eh! Maybe the B1G. One of the most prolific would mean top 5-10 IMO.. I don't think we were that high.

I said... "one of" the most prolific offenses in the nation. I stand by that statement, and the statistics show it to be true.

I'm so sick of the "roster mis-management" argument. The people that use this act like players are never given a chance to see the field. These coaches put out the players they think gives them the best chance to win games. If you want to see the field more, give the coaches a reason to put you out there.

It is almost like we should set the roster using one of two ways or both:

1) Do athletic testing in fall camp and the best athletes are the ones that get on the field no matter if they know the play book or perform the position well.

2) All recruits coming in with more than 3 stars behind their name automatically get the starting roll no matter if someone who has proven to be productive on the field is ahead of them.

I really mean it towards Heard's situation. He was bounced around and then was going to be bounced around at a whole new position. I know that wouldn't make me happy if I was in his position. And I don't mean mis-management necessarily in Heard's lack of carries. This has been discussed a few times before already on the board the justification for not giving him a ton of carries....I still think his situation sucks. I wish he would've stuck it out. This story isn't adding up now....which makes it more interesting....

As far as playing time, I can recall a certain highly talented receiver not getting the ball that often and not seeing playing time. Yeah, you can say he didn't know the playbook, wasn't giving it 100% in practice or what not...but IMO, you need to get that talent on the field and weigh the risks. I'm glad he is now getting the ball in his hands and my qualms about that situation have been laid to rest. Lastly, I do like the points you made though. I don't necessarily disagree with them. Work your tail off, and you'll more than likely see more PT.

I think it's difficult to state that "ameer was better," when we really don't have much tape on Braylon. And when he did carry the ball, he avg something like 8 yards per. That's a pretty big number to refute.

I'll defer to Ron Brown's analysis of who is better and trust that he is not throwing games.

• Fire 1

I think Braylon could've possibly won the starting job...

I think that is a fair statement, and I think the coaches would have given him a fair shot and picked the better player. If he doesn't want to compete or contribute in other ways, I respect his decision. Good luck.

I think it's difficult to state that "ameer was better," when we really don't have much tape on Braylon. And when he did carry the ball, he avg something like 8 yards per. That's a pretty big number to refute.

If Ameer was getting drastically more carries than Braylon, then it is safe to say that he was that much better. We're not at practice. We do not see these work every day. All we have as fans is the 3 1/2 hours every saturday. I will take the coaches' words over my speculation. I dont believe in the doghouse theory (I'm bringing it up-not accusing you or anyone else of bringing it up). It doesnt exist. The coaches put the best players on the field based on their evaluations in practice and previous performances. I will take their word that Ameer is drastically better based on their distribution of carries for granted. They are in the know. I am not.

As far as the YPC speculation goes. Lets say Kellogg completes a pass for 26 yards, and another for 38 yards. He's averaging 32 yards per completion. Do we put him in now over Martinez. Kind of a dumb comparison I know. But, Braylon gets put in in special situations to get the ball on certain play calls in an attempt to break him loose. it worked well. He averaged a great amount of yards per carry. But when your not carrying the load like Ameer, your chances of having negative or low production plays goes way down, hence not doing any harm to your average. Obviously, having a sh#t-ton more carries will water down your average a bit.

• Fire 2

I can refute that number pretty easily. Those yards came mostly in garbage time correct? AA seemed to have gained some shiftyness that was almost...dare I say very Rex like in the 2012 season. He was gaining yards when he looked dead in the water. Like others have said, the coaches were playing their best option.

I think Braylon could've possibly won the starting job...

I'll agree with this much. Maybe so for this year. No argument here. The statements I'm making in regards to playing time are referring to last season-which yes is in the past. But is my argument that at that point Ameer was better. It is the way I saw it anyway. No to mention, it was obviously the way the coaches saw it everyday, so it's what I'll believe.