Best Defensive Back in NU History

TGHusker

Matt O'Hanlon - great at run support and also the unexpected blitz

I don't disagree with O'Hanlon's inclusion in this list, but it's funny to see after he was ripped to shreds - exceedingly harshly by some - early in the 2009 season. I never agreed with the grief he got, and I never respected the choice people made to rip on a player like that.

O'Hanlon wasn't the greatest athlete to play in the secondary for Nebraska, but you won't find a kid with more heart, and you won't find a kid it meant more to throughout Nebraska's long and gloried past.

History remembers O'Hanlon better today than when he was playing, and he deserves that. He did not deserve the vilification he received from some fans.

I don't disagree with O'Hanlon's inclusion in this list, but it's funny to see after he was ripped to shreds - exceedingly harshly by some - early in the 2009 season. I never agreed with the grief he got, and I never respected the choice people made to rip on a player like that.

O'Hanlon wasn't the greatest athlete to play in the secondary for Nebraska, but you won't find a kid with more heart, and you won't find a kid it meant more to throughout Nebraska's long and gloried past.

History remembers O'Hanlon better today than when he was playing, and he deserves that. He did not deserve the vilification he received from some fans.

Couldn't agree more, I never understood the complaints. He kind of got lost in the shuffle, when we had the likes of Asante, Hagg, Gomes, Amukamara, and Dennard playing around him, but how much would we all want him now? If Huskerville could, they would welcome him back now with open arms....

As for the list....

1. Ralph Brown

2-5 Mike Brown, Amukamara, Minter, Washington, Dennard.... They could all squeeze into that top 5 list somewhere.

I would also throw Hagg's name into that list for top 5 contention.... His role was a difficult one, and he filled it about as well as you possibly can.... Hagg was one of the more versatile athletes we've had at NU....

I was not a member of this board when Ohanlon was catching hell after that '09 Virginia Tech game, so I do not know how it was on here, but I remember sticking up for him on facebook in numerous racial discussions, which totally pissed me off. Of course, I'm sure it wasnt allowed to become a disussion here, which is good.

Well stated. I remember the harsh treatment he had early on. But he sure turned things around and showed more effort and results than a lot of players with much more talent. He was an overacheiver in my book. That is why I put him on the list.

I don't disagree with the bolded comments. However, these things by themselves don't qualify him as one of the best DB's. His performance would not rank him up there with the others mentioned. My personal choices would be Fabian, the Brown Boys, Bowman and Pat Fischer

I don't disagree with the bolded comments. However, these things by themselves don't qualify him as one of the best DB's. His performance would not rank him up there with the others mentioned. My personal choices would be Fabian, the Brown Boys, Bowman and Pat Fischer

He was good. Maybe great. But not sure if he was among the best to ever play the position at NU.

As for ripping on him, I try to avoid ripping on our own guys. And while I didn't go so far as to rip on O'Hanlon, I may have called him Slow'Hanlon a time or two that fall. :lol:

He was good. Maybe great. But not sure if he was among the best to ever play the position at NU.

As for ripping on him, I try to avoid ripping on our own guys. And while I didn't go so far as to rip on O'Hanlon, I may have called him Slow'Hanlon a time or two that fall. :lol:

I ripped on him in the Woodshed after the Va Tech game....................god I was mad we lost that game. I've apologized before for it.............