ATH Jacquille Veii [Maryland - Signed NLI]

Amac3309

It isn't that I don't like his film, I just feel that the scholarship could be used elsewhere, at a position of greater need, even if that means waiting until next year too use it. I would have less problem with it if we put him at CB, but if he is going too be a WR, then it would seem pointless to bring him in. Looking at his film, I am confident we could get someone better with the schollie next year....

If he commits, I'll welcome him with open arms, and wish him the best.... It is nothing against the kid at all....

It isn't that I don't like his film, I just feel that the scholarship could be used elsewhere, at a position of greater need, even if that means waiting until next year too use it. I would have less problem with it if we put him at CB, but if he is going too be a WR, then it would seem pointless to bring him in. Looking at his film, I am confident we could get someone better with the schollie next year....

If he commits, I'll welcome him with open arms, and wish him the best.... It is nothing against the kid at all....

Agreed man. I like him better at CB too. Our WR corps is pretty stocked right now. The last two guys we took that could've been on either side of the ball are both gonna be there anyway (Moore and Dixon)...

CB is one position where if you're physical and smart you can make up for a lot of deficiencies in speed IF you have a good safety behind you. I wouldn't mind bringing this kid into the fold to further restock the D backfield along with Martinez.

I guess I agree with you though. Could we do better next year? Yeah, probably. I guess for me a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Especially since you never know what's going to happen or who will bust. Look at Aaron Green, Klach, TyMoore...

I think we are recruiting guys like him, gage, etc is b/c of our poor special teams last year. I really think we are looking at a few guys to be used as ST players primarily. He could be a good punt returner imo.

Understandable. I have no problem if this move is to have Veii play slot or ST, but I would be very confused if we recruited him as a DB.

This is what I don't get - why did we stop recruiting hunt as a DB because he was "too small", but are now going after Veii as a possible DB if he is 5'10" & weighs 173?!

I'm not sure there wasn't more to the Hunt situation than just us voluntarily stopping recruiting him. Almost seems like there has to be more there.

I hope so. I a year where we need CBs, I thought it was pretty strange to stop recruiting Hunt.

I think we are recruiting guys like him, gage, etc is b/c of our poor special teams last year. I really think we are looking at a few guys to be used as ST players primarily. He could be a good punt returner imo.

Understandable. I have no problem if this move is to have Veii play slot or ST, but I would be very confused if we recruited him as a DB.

Exactly, this is why he won't start as a CB. He may prefer to play CB but he said he will do what's best for the team.

I don't understand what people are seeing that makes them believe that he can't play either position. Of the attributes that we can assess from the film we have he has all the skills needed to excel at cb or slot. Great speed, great change of direction, physicality, plays the ball well in the air, diagnoses plays well, etc. There are obviously some things we can't see on this film, but that doesn't mean the coaches don't get to see it. Character, work ethic, intellegence and other intangibles are things our coaches weigh greatly and I'm sure they have seen it one way or another. I'm guessing the coaches have even got a chance to view film of him doing different drills and testing. For example we never get a chance to see his coverage skills in his film, but that doesn't mean the coaches haven't seen what they want in that regard somewhere during this process. Seems like a great offer to me.

Agreed man. I like him better at CB too. Our WR corps is pretty stocked right now. The last two guys we took that could've been on either side of the ball are both gonna be there anyway (Moore and Dixon)...

CB is one position where if you're physical and smart you can make up for a lot of deficiencies in speed IF you have a good safety behind you. I wouldn't mind bringing this kid into the fold to further restock the D backfield along with Martinez.

I guess I agree with you though. Could we do better next year? Yeah, probably. I guess for me a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Especially since you never know what's going to happen or who will bust. Look at Aaron Green, Klach, TyMoore...

One of my all-time favorite sayings....

Exactly, this is why he won't start as a CB. He may prefer to play CB but he said he will do what's best for the team.

Also, not every "CB" is a true corner. Ciante Evans has carved out a nice spot as our nickel back and he's only 5-11, 185. We definitely would rather have bigger guys but so would everyone else. Of Rivals' Top 75 corners this year, only 14 are taller than 6-0.