Mea Maxima Culpa

Debuted on HBO last night. Absolutely chilling.

If you are still Catholic . . . why? The evidence is overwhelming. How is this excused?

https://www.hbo.com/...ulpa/index.html

Muslims are involved in conflicts all over the world. If you are still Muslim...why? The evidence is overwhelming. How is this excused?

Well . . . considering the fact that I'd probably be most accurately classified as an atheist . . . I would agree.

Are you Catholic? I'm not a Muslim . . .

If you are still Catholic . . . why? The evidence is overwhelming. How is this excused?

Muslims are involved in conflicts all over the world. If you are still Muslim...why? The evidence is overwhelming. How is this excused?

Well . . . considering the fact that I'd probably be most accurately classified as an atheist . . . I would agree.

I'm neither, but it really doesn't matter. The fact that you repeatedly make generalizations and often characterize entire groups/organizations by the conduct of few is weak. A catholic individual can believe that want to believe regardless of their leadership. The disgusting behavior of some doesn't diminish what others may/may not believe. Hopefully they have some graphs in the HBO crapumentary that really don't explain anything for you to post.

I think the topic of the Catholic faith is being broached here because the Muslim religion has little to no influence in the governing of this country. Catholics meanwhile, as recently as March 2012, had a semi-legitimate presidential candidate talking about governing the United States based on the idea that all "civil law must comport with God's natural law". Meanwhile fellow religious nuts like Bachmann try to affix a scarlet letter to Muslims working in the US government.

That and there are like 5 threads debating the veracity of the Bible and none on the Qur'an.

• Fire 3

I'm neither, but it really doesn't matter. The fact that you repeatedly make generalizations and often characterize entire groups/organizations by the conduct of few is weak. A catholic individual can believe that want to believe regardless of their leadership. The disgusting behavior of some doesn't diminish what others may/may not believe. Hopefully they have some graphs in the HBO crapumentary that really don't explain anything for you to post.

faith and religion are two different things. you can criticize the institution of the catholic church and those who tacitly condone its behavior as an organization without questioning their faith. the evidence is compelling, yet people continue to be members of a corrupt organization. people boycott and throw fits for much less, but because it is a church it is sacrosanct. but it should not be that way. look at the church as an organization without the religion aspect. people boycotted lowe's because it was going to advertise during a show and then a different group boycotted them because they succumbed to the pressure of that first group. yet, a huge moral and legal scandal that reached the highest levels of the organization's hierarchy should be ignored just because it is a church? it should have far harsher repercussions, not less, because it is a church; it should be held to a higher standard, yet it is forgivable, or just ignored, because of religion.

• Fire 1

The thing is, 99.9% (est) of what the Catholic Church does is good. The child molestations are absolutely heinous. All Catholics would agree with this, unless they are not in denial over whether these things actually happened. (They did—or at least many of them did.)

Funny that the media seldom reports on the 99.9% of good things the Catholic Church does—the schools, hospitals, free clinics, orphanages, universities, day care centers, churches, and so on. Why is that?

/ btw, I am not Catholic. And frankly, don't believe in some aspects of Catholic worship. I just hate to see them get beat up over this when they do so many other good works.

• Fire 2

I think condemning all Catholics because the Catholic church's hierarchy is corrupt is a bit much. It would be the same as condemning all Husker fans if we found out that Tom Osborne was secretly running a drug and prostitution cartel out of Memorial Stadium. He would be bad, we should not revere him any longer, but the fans can still be fans. The ideals that make Husker Football what it is still exist, even if the leadership turns out to be corrupt.

Now, if such a thing were to happen and we, the Husker Fans, put up a statue or otherwise revered Osborne after it came to light, then we would be culpable. But we're not all bad/guilty because of one man's - even a head guy like T.O. - transgressions.

• Fire 2

The thing is, 99.9% (est) of what the Catholic Church does is good. The child molestations are absolutely heinous. All Catholics would agree with this, unless they are not in denial over whether these things actually happened. (They did—or at least many of them did.)

Funny that the media seldom reports on the 99.9% of good things the Catholic Church does—the schools, hospitals, free clinics, orphanages, universities, day care centers, churches, and so on. Why is that?

/ btw, I am not Catholic. And frankly, don't believe in some aspects of Catholic worship. I just hate to see them get beat up over this when they do so many other good works.

The media doesn't report on the good things I do, but if I killed someone or molested a child, you can bet they would report on that.