Favorite Moment of the Pelini Era

Hoosker

Hell, even Sam Keller was a better passer than Lee.....I'd even venture to say that as unconventional as he is, Taylor Martinez is a better passer than Lee.

+2. Sam Keller was indeed a better passer than Lee. I wonder what plays might have made Addison feel like Lee was the best passer. He made some pretty good throws, but those were the ones he had to make. Never really made elite throws that I can recall, partially due to the conservative shift of the offensive playcalling. Two of those TD strikes to Niles Paul in the rainy Mizzou game have always struck me as kind of dumb, even despite the positive outcome both times. He threw it into tight double coverage on Niles Paul both times, and outside of that game, Niles gave no indication that he was a Calvin Johnson type who could go up and take it away from two defenders on a consistent basis like against Mizzou. It was more of an outlier performance than the norm and Zac should have played the safer odds and shorter throws. I'd argue out of the 3 in 2010, Cody Green was the best passer, then Lee, then Martinez.

Also in 2010, Bo wasn't blindly in love with Martinez because he saw him shred his defense on the scout team. Just a simple case of picking the guy who he thought gave the best chance to win out of the three viable candidates. He tried the conservative, minimal-risk game manager QB in Zac Lee in 09 with unsatisfactory results and decided to go with an option with much higher volatility; higher risk, but also higher reward. Whether you agree with it or not, he made what he saw as the best available decision. Nothing more than that, like he was obsessed with Taylor and thought he was "super awesome". Even though he'd never say, I wouldn't be surprised to find out if he thinks Armstrong and Stanton have significantly higher upside than Taylor as QB's.

The 2010 season up until Taylor Martinez's injury. It looked as though Nebraska had not only turned the corner, but could go 0 - 60 like a Bugatti Veyron. Washington, Oklahoma State and Kansas State games were just hugely satisfying. Of course I'm pretending the Texas game never happened.

I also thought we turned the corner with the Holiday Bowl shutout against Arizona.

The Henery kick and Suh touchdown back to back have to be the most ball-tingly great moments. Just forget that Colorado should never have been that close, and what a missed field goal would have meant.

I believe it was none other than the loathed Brent Musburger who said Suh vs. Texas in 2009 was the greatest individual defensive performance he'd ever witnessed. In my mind, Suh breaks through on that final play, McCoy panics and throws that ball just 3 degrees higher, and it doesn't land until the clock is decisively at 00:00. That's the difference between legendary and epic.

Call me cynical, but I believe they give Texas another shot NO MATTER WHAT the clock reads at the end.................

Naw. They were clear on the ruling that the clock doesn't stop until the ball hits the ground or seat or railing or whatever. I'm guessing a lot of folks thought it stopped when it crossed the imaginary out-of-bounds plane. One of those folks may have been Colt McCoy. But there was clearly a second left on the clock when that happened. Heartbreaking enough, but we weren't jobbed.

I can't believe I'm going to discuss this topic again, but here goes.

Seeing 1 second on the clock has nothing to due with it being the right call. The offical time is kept on the field. This is why you will see the refs adjust the time on the scoreboard. It was then decided that they were going to review when the ball hits the bleacher and match it to the scoreboard time. The problem with that was the scoreboard time is not the offical time & can be different then the official time that is kept on the field. It is impossible to know if the scoreboard time was exactly lined up with the offical time. So using it to verify when the ball hits out of bounds is meaningless. Even a half of second of difference between the two would have been the difference between a Husker win & a Texas win. This should have been a judgement call by the offical time keeper. If his clock says 0 then the game should be over. If it said 1 Texas gets their shot at a field goal.

The 2010 season up until Taylor Martinez's injury. It looked as though Nebraska had not only turned the corner, but could go 0 - 60 like a Bugatti Veyron. Washington, Oklahoma State and Kansas State games were just hugely satisfying. Of course I'm pretending the Texas game never happened.

I also thought we turned the corner with the Holiday Bowl shutout against Arizona.

The Henery kick and Suh touchdown back to back have to be the most ball-tingly great moments. Just forget that Colorado should never have been that close, and what a missed field goal would have meant.

I believe it was none other than the loathed Brent Musburger who said Suh vs. Texas in 2009 was the greatest individual defensive performance he'd ever witnessed. In my mind, Suh breaks through on that final play, McCoy panics and throws that ball just 3 degrees higher, and it doesn't land until the clock is decisively at 00:00. That's the difference between legendary and epic.

Call me cynical, but I believe they give Texas another shot NO MATTER WHAT the clock reads at the end.................

Naw. They were clear on the ruling that the clock doesn't stop until the ball hits the ground or seat or railing or whatever. I'm guessing a lot of folks thought it stopped when it crossed the imaginary out-of-bounds plane. One of those folks may have been Colt McCoy. But there was clearly a second left on the clock when that happened. Heartbreaking enough, but we weren't jobbed.

I can't believe I'm going to discuss this topic again, but here goes.

Seeing 1 second on the clock has nothing to due with it being the right call. The offical time is kept on the field. This is why you will see the refs adjust the time on the scoreboard. It was then decided that they were going to review when the ball hits the bleacher and match it to the scoreboard time. The problem with that was the scoreboard time is not the offical time & can be different then the official time that is kept on the field. It is impossible to know if the scoreboard time was exactly lined up with the offical time. So using it to verify when the ball hits out of bounds is meaningless. Even a half of second of difference between the two would have been the difference between a Husker win & a Texas win. This should have been a judgement call by the offical time keeper. If his clock says 0 then the game should be over. If it said 1 Texas gets their shot at a field goal.

I don't think that is correct.

From the NCAA Rule Book:

ARTICLE 4. a. Game Clock. Playing time shall be kept with a game clock that

may be either a stop watch operated by the line judge, back judge, field judge

or side judge, or a game clock operated by an assistant under the direction of

the appropriate judge. The type of game clock shall be determined by the game

management.

* emphasis added

I think you are correct that the clock is kept on the field but I think this is a backup. I don't think the officials on the field could properly watch their responsibilities and still get the clock started and stopped at the correct times. They do check it every play and that's why they sometimes call for an adjustment to the game clock but the scoreboard clock is the official clock under normal circumstances.

The biggest thing about the end of that game is that the exact same situation came up at least twice in high profile games (Michigan vs. ND and Miami vs. FSU). In both of the previous games there was more time on the clock that ran off than in the Big XII game, and both those games did not have time put back on for one more play. FSU had something like 2 seconds run off after an incomplete pass in the endzone. That is what was messed up in that situation. I'm all for getting it right to end the game, but the officials throughout the year had shown one way of dealing with a situation like this and the championship officials decided to do their own thing.

My favorite moment of the Pelini era would have to be the Oklahoma game in '09. Even from my house you could feel the electricity. If there's one game I regret missing in Memorial Stadium it would be that one. Watching the tunnel walk on youtube after the game gave me chills.

The biggest thing about the end of that game is that the exact same situation came up at least twice in high profile games (Michigan vs. ND and Miami vs. FSU). In both of the previous games there was more time on the clock that ran off than in the Big XII game, and both those games did not have time put back on for one more play. FSU had something like 2 seconds run off after an incomplete pass in the endzone. That is what was messed up in that situation. I'm all for getting it right to end the game, but the officials throughout the year had shown one way of dealing with a situation like this and the championship officials decided to do their own thing.

My favorite moment of the Pelini era would have to be the Oklahoma game in '09. Even from my house you could feel the electricity. If there's one game I regret missing in Memorial Stadium it would be that one. Watching the tunnel walk on youtube after the game gave me chills.

I don't remember any other specific games but I didn't think it was out of line. When the pass hit the rail I saw :01 left and knew they'd put a second back on.

We did get a second back in the 1994 Orange Bowl and that was before replay.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Joe Ganz would love to argue that fact lol

Zach Taylor

FIFY ;)

Lee was a better passer than both Taylor and Ganz easily. But so was Sam Keller and he never had anywhere close to the same success. Injury certainly derailed his career.

Ganz was great, we all love him, but for a QB he didn't have the deep arm and was a bit INT prone. Taylor had all the intangibles, but also didn't have the arm.

I think what we're getting hung up on is there is more to being a passer than having a strong arm and good passing ability. Certainly of the recent era, Lee was the best passer we had on the roster.

Taylor had all the intangibles.

I agree with that completely.

He was also one of the toughest S.O.B.s ever to QB at NU.

In fact, as a Husker fan, after all those years where we ran the option and heard about how that offense would never work because the QB took too much abuse play in and play out, the Callahan years gave me a new appreciation of the QB position.

Guys who drop to pass 40 and 50 times a game behind a turn-style O-line end up taking a worse beating than any "mobile" QB since pocket passers just stand there and take the hits.

Thinking back now and remembering all the times those 1990s Blackshirts mangled the bodies of pocket passers from see to shining see.

Taylor took many of these hits, rarely came out, maybe just that one time that Beck stunk up the joint against KSU. And Taylor rarely if ever fumbled. STUD and MUCH RESPECT

Taylor had all the intangibles.

I agree with that completely.

He was also one of the toughest S.O.B.s ever to QB at NU.

In fact, as a Husker fan, after all those years where we ran the option and heard about how that offense would never work because the QB took too much abuse play in and play out, the Callahan years gave me a new appreciation of the QB position.

Guys who drop to pass 40 and 50 times a game behind a turn-style O-line end up taking a worse beating than any "mobile" QB since pocket passers just stand there and take the hits.

Thinking back now and remembering all the times those 1990s Blackshirts mangled the bodies of pocket passers from see to shining see.

Taylor took many of these hits, rarely came out, maybe just that one time that Beck stunk up the joint against KSU. And Taylor rarely if ever fumbled. STUD and MUCH RESPECT

He did complete a huge 4th down pass that saved the game, and, probably the season.

For the record, to everyone trashing on Zac Lee, here's his numbers prior to injury.

15/22 (68.2%) - 213 yards - 2 TD - 1 INT

27/35 (77.1%) - 340 yards - 4 TD - 0 INT

Yep. Those were the only two games he was entirely healthy. Just so happened that they were against Sun Belt teams. The point being made here is that you can't definitively say one way or the other, but you especially can't say that he was not a good passer when healthy.

For the record, to everyone trashing on Zac Lee, here's his numbers prior to injury.

15/22 (68.2%) - 213 yards - 2 TD - 1 INT

27/35 (77.1%) - 340 yards - 4 TD - 0 INT

Yep. Those were the only two games he was entirely healthy. Just so happened that they were against Sun Belt teams. The point being made here is that you can't definitively say one way or the other, but you especially can't say that he was not a good passer when healthy.

It's a double edged sword.

Florida Atlantic and Arkansas St.