***Official Weather Thread***

Honestly, weather forecast 20 years ago was more accurate than today. I trusted my dad's forecast against modern meteorologists. Papa based mainly upon changes in barometric pressure, wind directions, current weather conditions, sky condition, birds and mostly his bones aches and pains.

tumblr_m3gs4cqw0h1rqfhi2o1_400.gif

And I get my weather from here:

metservice.jpg

:ahhhhhhhh

Not to derail the focus of the thread but mostly related and EbylHusker you may find this interesting. Depending on which way it goes, this could be a big deal. I don't follow the whole net neutrality thing closely to know the true effects but this is a legitimate question.

https://www.linkedin.com/groupItem?view=&item=5880422238125043712&type=member&gid=116162&trk=eml-b2_anet_digest_weekly-null-8-null&fromEmail=fromEmail&ut=2hfDMhIBozEmg1

Quoted in the event you can't see the discussion:

James MarusakAvailable Free-Agent Meteorologist

I have to ask something that I have to admit I am not too sure about. But with all the talk about the new proposed net neutrality rules (more like anything but neutrality, but that's just my opinion), I have to wonder here for the weather enterprise.

How would these rules affect the weather community, especially data providers (Unisys, WSI, Allisonhouse, WDT, etc), Universities (model data and analysis data access), even companies that provide weather warnings from the NWS on their cell apps (TWC, Accu-weather, 1Weather, and multiple others)?

honestly I am thinking at the moment that the data directly from the NWS (and its different centers) shouldn't get put on the backburner (lest it cause major problems with the "WeatherReady Nation" program). But then again, you just never know these days what different ISP's like Comcast, Verizon, and others will do, given that they are starting double and triple tolling people and other content providers to go over their networks (aka netflix).

so how do you all think this net neutrality debate will play out in the Weather community?

The first response has some short yet interesting thoughts from both sides.

Shelley Jeltema

Shelley

Shelley Jeltema

PhD student at Michigan Tech

This is a good topic to bring up, but I really don't see this being a major problem for Meteorology as I doubt millions are streaming radar feeds like Hulu and Netflix. In more concise words, I don't think meteorological use will be slowed down for too much traffic. I could be wrong.

I am looking at this from another view point. Because weather data (in general) providers are such a tiny players, they may get crowded out by the big guys who can pay for the advanced speeds, better service. The end result will still be slower data for small fry providers and that could be problematic for weather warnings.

Content provider and content consumers are both paying for a clear and open pipeline for data to flow on. There should not be tiers for the have's and the have not's. The problem is with Verizon, Comcast, and the rest of the mega ISPs. They have failed to keep up with technology, failed to invest in their infrastructure and now are stuck with a crumbling decade old system. If they would only spend the money to modernize their equipment and lines, there would be no need to slow anyone down. But this will cut into profits and shareholders will demand heads on pikes if profits fall even a penny.

Honestly, weather forecast 20 years ago was more accurate than today. I trusted my dad's forecast against modern meteorologists. Papa based mainly upon changes in barometric pressure, wind directions, current weather conditions, sky condition, birds and mostly his bones aches and pains.

Mmmmmm.....no.....sorry.

Back in the early 90s computers were VERY accurate in predicting the weather for the next day. Unfortunately, it took the computers 48 hours to do the calculations.

I don't see this as being an issue in the future.

To start with, we don't really know where net neutrality is going to end up yet. The FCC faced far more backlash than it expected with its proposed rules. So anything going forward would be totally dependent on what the FCC decides to do and how everyone reacts (because that reaction could still prompt further changes, etc).

Even if internet services aren't reclassified (reclassifying is the best possible outcome for everyone except telecom, but it's probably not going to happen yet), weather services aren't really what the big ISP's are "worried" about. And no matter what, the FCC should retain the power to deal with "unjustified" throttlings.

The big ISP's are looking at things like movie streaming, etc. Anyone downloading any kind of radar data isn't using that much bandwidth in comparison, and the community is relatively small. And considering spotters are actually involved in providing reports that might save lives, just like the watches and warnings, it's hard to believe anything they use could ever get any throttling. If they did (to an extent where it was noticed, which would have to be ridiculously heavy), the sh#t would hit the fan very quickly. Premium providers like AllisonHouse would be included in that, I'm sure - and there's just not that much data being sent anyway.

It doesn't strike me as ever being an issue, no matter what happens, but we'll see.

Edit - And any kind of educational thing, especially high level education and research, isn't going to be throttled or the sh#t will hit the fan quickly. It would be hilarious to see telecom attempt that fight - Japan bombing Pearl Harbor would be the appropriate analogy. I don't even think they could throttle universities, and things like getting model data out to users shouldn't be an issue either.

To be a little more clear, I believe universities sit on internet backbones. Anything going on between them should be above someone like TWC (as an example). Getting information to users beyond that backbone, like if you want to download stuff into your house, requires ISP's like TWC, etc. But I don't think any of that is something to worry about.

I don't see this as being an issue in the future.

To start with, we don't really know where net neutrality is going to end up yet. The FCC faced far more backlash than it expected with its proposed rules. So anything going forward would be totally dependent on what the FCC decides to do and how everyone reacts (because that reaction could still prompt further changes, etc).

Even if internet services aren't reclassified (reclassifying is the best possible outcome for everyone except telecom, but it's probably not going to happen yet), weather services aren't really what the big ISP's are "worried" about. And no matter what, the FCC should retain the power to deal with "unjustified" throttlings.

The big ISP's are looking at things like movie streaming, etc. Anyone downloading any kind of radar data isn't using that much bandwidth in comparison, and the community is relatively small. And considering spotters are actually involved in providing reports that might save lives, just like the watches and warnings, it's hard to believe anything they use could ever get any throttling. If they did (to an extent where it was noticed, which would have to be ridiculously heavy), the sh#t would hit the fan very quickly. Premium providers like AllisonHouse would be included in that, I'm sure - and there's just not that much data being sent anyway.

It doesn't strike me as ever being an issue, no matter what happens, but we'll see.

Edit - And any kind of educational thing, especially high level education and research, isn't going to be throttled or the sh#t will hit the fan quickly. It would be hilarious to see telecom attempt that fight - Japan bombing Pearl Harbor would be the appropriate analogy. I don't even think they could throttle universities, and things like getting model data out to users shouldn't be an issue either.

To be a little more clear, I believe universities sit on internet backbones. Anything going on between them should be above someone like TWC (as an example). Getting information to users beyond that backbone, like if you want to download stuff into your house, requires ISP's like TWC, etc. But I don't think any of that is something to worry about.

Pretty much what I was thinking too from my less informed level. Education and research makes sense. But then again I wonder the effect on the private sector like a forecasting company I used to work for here in MPLS. I am not sure what their connection status is (and like I said, I am not up on all the net neutrality details either) but if it does hit the private sector companies like them, I can see some major issues, depending on the overall affect on them. For instance they forecast (or at least used to) for a MAJOR east coast Energy company. Data issues, lead to forecast issues, lead to blown forecasts, lead to mishandling of energy allowances and then all of NYC loses power.

Okay, so I realize that last sentence was a complete "Direct TV: Get Rid of Cable" commercial kind of slippery slope... :D:LOLtartar

Another big weather day tomorrow (and overnight) in Nebraska, Kansas, and western Iowa. Tornadoes are definitely possible, but there should be some frightening hail and winds again for sure, not to mention a heapin' helpin' of rain. This is another situation where I'd keep an eye on the weather and have some idea of where you can put your car if the 3" hail is going to hit your area.

LOTS of Hastings folks gonna be spending fathers day with a chainsaw. Hard to see bit the first one is s trampoline wrapped around a tree. 2nd there is a small pickup under there somewhere. Spotter clocked consistent 100+ mph winds on west side of town blowin in. Curios to see what nws report says.

post-7430-0-21945900-1402818804_thumb.jpg

post-7430-0-92642200-1402818867_thumb.jpg

post-7430-0-96441800-1402818917_thumb.jpg