***Official Weather Thread***

I have some family in Firth, hope it didn't hit them?! Bracing for the storms to hit hear in the Des Moines metro area in a few hours. Same ones that hit Nebraska obviously........

That area has had more than it's share....

We're getting this weather now, dropped a large tornado west of the metro. Scary stuff when you can't see anything because of nightfall.

Amazes me that Lincoln always seems to avoid these.... I was certain that this thing was gonna hit and hit badly.

Norman too (knock on wood). Completely immune except five years ago or so, one weakly F0 tornado. This twister developed in the southern part of Norman, very close to the Severe National Weather Center (OU campus). Damage to some homes and businesses, breaking windows and doors, partially stripping some roofs, and destroying well built wood fences.

In Moore, 5-10 miles north of Norman, three devastating tornadoes, 1999, 2003 and 2013, all F4-F5. In fact, two additional tornadoes in just 15 years....a total of five. 2010 tornado (F1?) touched down in the southern part of Moore. The damage was mostly limited to trees as it tracked across mostly undeveloped land in southeast Moore with a few houses sustaining minor damage.

Screen_Shot_2013-05-21_at_8.38.39_AM.png

Green=2013 F5 Blue=2003 F4 Red=1999 F5

1999 twister caused the fastest wind speed ever recorded on Earth up to that time: 318 miles per hour.

BTW, Oklahoma City has more tornado strikes than any other city in the United States.

Amazes me that Lincoln always seems to avoid these.... I was certain that this thing was gonna hit and hit badly.

It's weird, we always get really severe stuff headed right for us and then it veers north or veers south.

I think there's like theories people have, like Lincoln is in a valley or something, that causes storms to go around... IDK if any of that is true but it's interesting

That storm last night was always drifting north as it moved away from Beaver Crossing. Considering the location of the tornado in the cell and its general tendancy to have a northward shift, it looked to have a slim chance to clip the most northern tip of Lincoln (It missed by literally 10 miles or so, I watched it go by). It never seemed to have any real shot at a head on strike from Beaver Crossing onward.

Lincoln is just relatively small (Omaha is much larger and more spread out) and not a big target. Storms like that don't care if there's a little valley or a city in their way. It's kinda like trying to figure out why trans-Atlantic flights don't crash on islands very often. The obvious answer is the correct one. :)

The damage around Davey isn't bad, at least from what I could tell on my loop through. I saw some downed tree limbs (some large) and all that, pretty typical. An emergency crew was working on one in Davey itself where a very large one had come down across the road. I noticed a fence a few miles outside Davey that had been taken out by the remnants of one of those flimsy sheet metal type sheds or something of that nature.

We'll see what the NWS initial survey says when it goes up this evening (hopefully).