What is the most important game of the 2013 season TODAY ?

Comish

Here's the 2013 schedule, FWIW.

Wyoming

Southern Miss

UCLA -- Should be a good game. They have plenty of talent, so if we don't come ready to play, we'll see a similar result as last season.

South Dakota State

BYE

Illinois

@ Purdue -- Wouldn't be surprised if we struggle in this one. First road game of the year against a team that has been known to give the big boys fits. (See Ohio St.)

BYE

@ Minnesota

Northwestern -- We nearly went 0-2 against the Wildcats. I'm hoping we can finally put together a complete effort against Northwestern, especially at home. Can't look ahead in this game.

@ Michigan -- Obviously the toughest game of the regular season. Should have major division implications and be a chance for Bo to earn that big time road win that he's been searching for.

Michigan State -- This one shouldn't be too difficult unless we're hungover from a poor showing at the Big House. Sparty lost a lot on defense and that offense isn't getting any faster.

@ Penn State -- It's in Beaver Stadium so it's going to be tough regardless, but we should be a better squad, especially this late in the season.

Iowa

In the fashion of taking it 'one game a time', I think the most appropriate answer to this question is UCLA. Yeah I know Wyoming and Southern Miss are before that, but they are cupcakes and we never lose the opening non-cons at home.

Why do we have two bye weeks? One Saturday without Husker football during the season is too many, two Saturdays without Husker football is torture!

Close call between Meatchicken and UCLA. Gonna go with scUM simply because the division title will most likely be on the line. I pray this budding rivalry stays intact even though it's not likely in the new divisions. Bigger than the development of Devin Gardner is the overall development of Brady Hoke's stockpile of top-notch recruits, which should be now well integrated into the program that they should start validating the hype. Pretty crucial period in their program, we went through the same transition with reasonably good, though not great, results. Since I hate scUM more than any other team in our conference, my negative bias likes to think that Hoke is a schmuck at coaching and will not maximize the talent on his roster. He can recruit, Mattison can recruit, but only one of them can coach/develop to an elite level. I think Hoke will eventually be run out of town. Also very biased, but I think that Bo is a better head coach than Hoke. Hoke has been riding the coattails of Mattison ever since he got there. As long as Mattison is there, they'll give Nebraska hell on Defense, but Bo is going to own Al Borges and ultimately, Hoke. Since we're farther along in Bo's "process" I like to think we're a couple steps ahead of Michigan and will consistently beat them, rarely seeing debacles like Ann Arbor 2011 in the future. They'll most likely top out and stay stagnant like us presently, at 8-10 win seasons with decent florida bowl game appearances as long as Hoke is their coach. We have better odds of maintaining consistent BCS top 10 success.

I'm not so confident making my assessment of UCLA. Jury's still out on Jim Mora as head coach. Great offensive tactician, and great recruiter, but he needs a reliable D. I wouldn't be so quick to say the season's tone would be irreparably damaged if we lost to UCLA respectably. They're underrated a bit, JM is stockpiling some serious talent also. It's flashy and sexy California speed compared to Hoke's comparatively slow midwest plodders One thing we have going for us is JM won't be able to exploit that motion back outrunning our MLB on a crossing pattern or that 6'7 tight end on our safety or LB for mismatches. Compton couldn't keep up with Franklin but Santos and Anderson can, not to mention our other young bucks at LB. Their TE Fauria and Alonzo Whaley/Damion Stafford are both gone. UCLA will most likely own the Pac12 south for a decent stretch. Hundley is good and what is a slight paranoia of mine is their WR Devin Fuller, the kid I wanted so badly for QB here (not so upset anymore, Armstrong and Stanton will be just fine for us). He makes plays and could burn us if he cracks their Depth chart and we're not playing sound on every play.

Before we jump to a scenario of a loss to UCLA ruining a potential national title, we have to start with smaller steps and plan first and foremost to win the conference. scUM is our biggest obstacle, Northwestern a distant but still significant second place. Losing to UCLA, no matter how bad, would do no harm to our Big 10 championship quest, which should be the first goal.

Would be very big if we were to lose it! <-- that is kind of a dumb statement :flush

I guess we could say that with every game hua?

Talent/experience wise they are no threat. How is that a dumb statement? I think you can keep your little statements to yourself there. They will be starting a LOT of freshman, once again, but no designated leaders like they had coming into last year, Johnathan Franklin. You obviously read only a part of my post, otherwise you wouldn't have been a smart ass. We had no Rex. The offense couldn't produce, our OL was horrible and our defense let them run all over us. They lost their #1 running back, Franklin, who carried them through their wins last year. Their QB is very young, and committs a TON of mistakes. He will be playing in OUR home, with a team that is hungry to put a hurting on them. It would be very big if we were to lose any game.

Please wise one, instead of claiming my statements are dumb, explain on why they are such a threat to us!

Is this game important and the biggest? YES. This game will set the tone for the rest of the season. Do I think we will lose it? Not even close. We have far more talent on the field, a much more experienced offense and its at home.

I think it has to be UCLA. Big wins have that trickle down effect...Team spirit, team confidence, national attention, recruiting...all of these things are effected with a huge win. UCLA will probably be a top 10-15 team when they come to Lincoln and UCLA has a good a shot as any to challenge Oregon or possibly Stanford to win the PAC-12. A win against UCLA keeps getting better as the season progresses as well(BCS Points) Beating UCLA early on could parlay itself into Nebraska being undefeated heading to Ann Arbor.

I think Michigan in Michigan is probably going to be our biggest challenge because its a divisional rival and its on the road but I dont think the Michigan game has the same impact on the overall season as the UCLA game.

On a side note Im glad we play Penn St late opposed to early. With the lack of schollies and the ware and tare of a big ten season playing them late is more beneficial than early.

I also hope we utilize that extra bye week in the season to get more reps for Michigan and to bring in some recruits on OV's.

GBR13N13

Wyoming - the most important game is ALWAYS the next game.

Stole mine. I second that one.

Then wouldn't that make the Spring game the most important?

I figured someone would go that way. It's not a game. It's a scrimmage. ;)

Well It's either 42 days until the next game or 190. The choice(read: my denial) is clear. :)

UCLA will be the game that gets the early season hype for us, and sets the tone for the rest of the season, "if" we win, as far as the rankings go. If we go into the B1G ccg with a high ranking and lose, we still could make our first bcs bowl under Bo. Lose the UCLA game and its an up hill struggle in the polls. Mich is the top game for me this year, win that in their house, and the sky's the limit.

GBR!!!

Would be very big if we were to lose it! <-- that is kind of a dumb statement :flush

I guess we could say that with every game hua?

Talent/experience wise they are no threat. How is that a dumb statement? I think you can keep your little statements to yourself there. They will be starting a LOT of freshman, once again, but no designated leaders like they had coming into last year, Johnathan Franklin. You obviously read only a part of my post, otherwise you wouldn't have been a smart ass. We had no Rex. The offense couldn't produce, our OL was horrible and our defense let them run all over us. They lost their #1 running back, Franklin, who carried them through their wins last year. Their QB is very young, and committs a TON of mistakes. He will be playing in OUR home, with a team that is hungry to put a hurting on them. It would be very big if we were to lose any game.

Please wise one, instead of claiming my statements are dumb, explain on why they are such a threat to us!

Is this game important and the biggest? YES. This game will set the tone for the rest of the season. Do I think we will lose it? Not even close. We have far more talent on the field, a much more experienced offense and its at home.

Simmer Down Nick! (I WAS TALKING ABOUT "MY COMMENT BEING DUMB") Loosing any game would be big so my comment relating to losing to UCLA was just dumb!

Simmer Down Nick! (I WAS TALKING ABOUT "MY COMMENT BEING DUMB") Loosing any game would be big so my comment relating to losing to UCLA was just dumb!

I take it you think larger, bolded text, gets your point across better? You should clarify things like this, since things are said over the internet. Usually when you bold some thing in someone's post, then reply to that, usually means your replying about what they are saying. Next time, just edit it and say what you mean so it doesn't cause confusion ;)

That being said, I am always calm. I don't let the internet ruffle my feathers. I just thought you were saying what I said was dumb, as it wasn't very clear :)