What is the most important game of the 2013 season TODAY ?

Comish

What is the most important game of the 2013 season TODAY?

Of course, the answer will undoubtedly change as the season progresses. But, picking right now, what is THEE most important?

Normally, I’d go with Michigan or the CCG, but since many are already penciling in an 8-0 start, I will say UCLA.

They are a proven team that has plenty of playmakers and a self-image that believes they can/will beat the Huskers on September 14th.

If we lose THAT game, the perception of the national media concerning Nebraska remains skeptical AND we face the familiar territory of building ourselves back up mentally.

Agree? Or not?

Michigan in the Big House. Here's why. I see five relatively straightforward wins on our conf schedule. Illinois, Purdue, Minny, NW, and Idiots Out Wandering Around. (Of course we *could* drop any of these games though—they're not sure things). The other three games will be tougher: Michigan (away), Mich St (home) and Penn State (away). Seven conf wins will probably win the Legends. Maybe six. (We play 8 conf games, not 9). Of the three toughest games, Michigan State in Lincoln will probably be the easiest win. Since Penn State is a Leaders team, I'd say Michigan in Ann Arbor is the most important game.

Michigan in the Big House. Here's why. I see five relatively straightforward wins on our conf schedule. Illinois, Purdue, Minny, NW, and Idiots Out Wandering Around. (Of course we *could* drop any of these games though—they're not sure things). The other three games will be tougher: Michigan (away), Mich St (home) and Penn State (away). Seven conf wins will probably win the Legends. Maybe six. (We play 8 conf games, not 9). Of the three toughest games, Michigan State in Lincoln will probably be the easiest win. Since Penn State is a Leaders team, I'd say Michigan in Ann Arbor is the most important game.

Screw the National Championship game - its all about the Rose Bowl baby - crap this B1G stuff is invading my mind

I would agree that the UCLA game will set the tone and if we were to drop that game, it could have an ill effect on the rest of the season. Saying that though, if we were to drop that game we could still win the B1G and go to Rose and or better if other things happen in season with other teams. But for now, I would agree with the original poster Comish! :restore

Screw the National Championship game - its all about the Rose Bowl baby - crap this B1G stuff is invading my mind

MSU I don't see a threat. They lost their star DLineman, who was the only person who was a causing havoc for them, they lost Bell and their #1 Receiver (TE). They didn't have an exceptional recruiting class either.

Our big games, IMO, would be Michigan in Ann Arbor, and Northwestern at our home. Northwestern is going to want revenge for what we did last year, and at their home.

UCLA, I don't see them as a threat. That was a game we lost, because of poor tackling and an offense that didn't know what to do without Rex. If we win this game, which I think we will, single handily, it will give our team that confidence to make a great run.

MSU I don't see a threat. They lost their star DLineman, who was the only person who was a causing havoc for them, they lost Bell and their #1 Receiver (TE). They didn't have an exceptional recruiting class either.

Our big games, IMO, would be Michigan in Ann Arbor, and Northwestern at our home. Northwestern is going to want revenge for what we did last year, and at their home.

UCLA, I don't see them as a threat. That was a game we lost, because of poor tackling and an offense that didn't know what to do without Rex. If we win this game, which I think we will, single handily, it will give our team that confidence to make a great run.

Would be very big if we were to lose it! <-- that is kind of a dumb statement :flush

I guess we could say that with every game hua?

No doubt about it UCLA. It's the game that will set the tone-positive or negative-that will follow the team and fanbase throughout the season. All of us have the sense to know the ramifications of this game regardless how it plays out.

It will be a major indicator of so many unknowns that will be discussed throughout the offeseason as Bo's most critical season yet approaches.

Here's the 2013 schedule, FWIW.

Wyoming

Southern Miss

UCLA -- Should be a good game. They have plenty of talent, so if we don't come ready to play, we'll see a similar result as last season.

South Dakota State

BYE

Illinois

@ Purdue -- Wouldn't be surprised if we struggle in this one. First road game of the year against a team that has been known to give the big boys fits. (See Ohio St.)

BYE

@ Minnesota

Northwestern -- We nearly went 0-2 against the Wildcats. I'm hoping we can finally put together a complete effort against Northwestern, especially at home. Can't look ahead in this game.

@ Michigan -- Obviously the toughest game of the regular season. Should have major division implications and be a chance for Bo to earn that big time road win that he's been searching for.

Michigan State -- This one shouldn't be too difficult unless we're hungover from a poor showing at the Big House. Sparty lost a lot on defense and that offense isn't getting any faster.

@ Penn State -- It's in Beaver Stadium so it's going to be tough regardless, but we should be a better squad, especially this late in the season.

Iowa

In the fashion of taking it 'one game a time', I think the most appropriate answer to this question is UCLA. Yeah I know Wyoming and Southern Miss are before that, but they are cupcakes and we never lose the opening non-cons at home.