Alabama Recruiting

Blackshirt96

What I think is ridiculous about this whole thing, is that the NCAA purposely waits months after signing day and even after the incoming freshmen arrive on campus to do a head count it allows for these teams to cheat without any real consequences. The NCAA is becoming more of a joke all the time, and its obvious they dont want to go after Alabama or any other team in the SEC for that matter.

Old article on Oversigning in the SEC from SI

I don't remember how many players the SEC is allowed to oversign, but its like 10 I believe, which is ridiculous and you would think it would be a tool others can use against them to get that recruiting edge on some big time players. Why go somewhere and be cut before fall camp? Its ridiculous. I know they are allowed to only give 25 scholarships per year, as of last year's rules, but when you only have 15 available, your still allowed to oversign by 10, as long as your not exceeding that 25 mark?

If the NCAA would just limit offers to the amount of scholarships as it does on playstation xbox, this problem would not exist.

fixed it for ya ;)

but in all reality the ncaa wants to keep these kids safe and claims they want whats best for these young student athletes. Well maybe I'm in the minority but allowing teams to oversign and then cut a bunch of kids who were counting on their schooling to be paid for is not doing whats best. Alot of these kids cant afford to go to a big university and pay out of state tuition and then after they get cut they have to drop out or go into a ton of debt to go to a school they most likely never would have went to if it wasnt for the football scholarship they thought they were receiving.

3 B1G schools on that list of currently oversigned, which is humorous considering the B1G constantly touts the fact that it doesn't oversign. BS. If you want to go into the season with 85, you have to be sitting at 87ish right now. Every team drops a couple guys between now and fall for reasons that don't include the coach cutting a player. We do each year and we're never over. Like last year, if we drop too many more this off season we'll be far short of the max....again.

3 B1G schools on that list of currently oversigned, which is humorous considering the B1G constantly touts the fact that it doesn't oversign. BS. If you want to go into the season with 85, you have to be sitting at 87ish right now. Every team drops a couple guys between now and fall for reasons that don't include the coach cutting a player. We do each year and we're never over. Like last year, if we drop too many more this off season we'll be far short of the max....again.

Michigan at 87 is much different than Alabama at 95.

But we get it, you want us at 90+ and don't want to ever reward a scholarship to a walk on.

But we get it, you want us at 90+ and don't want to ever reward a scholarship to a walk on.

and Michigan being in a one time only situation as opposed to Bama pullin this same old sh#t every year.

and Michigan being in a one time only situation as opposed to Bama pullin this same old sh#t every year.

Not sure how they continue to get by with it. I guess when you are riding the high; kids seem to ignore the obvious! :dunno

I think it is understood in the SEC, meaning the kids know it going in. Does not make it right by any means, but I doubt any are really caught off guard by it.

I would like to see every conference, every team play by the same rules. Certain classes, grade requirements and the same grading system accross college football. A minimum mark that has to be met, if you want to have higher standards, IE Notre Dame, Stanford, Duke, Northwestern fine. But everyone should start on even footing. We had some years where we had a distinct advantage with partial qualifiers, gigantic walk on program and the like. We pushed the rules to the limit, or at least I hope we did. Bama and the SEC are taking advantage of rules that the rest seem to have to abide by.

I think it is tough on the kids and keeps some of them off of other rosters, but overall it does not affect Bama that much.

The Big Ten allows schools to go 3 over the limit in the event of certain circumstances such as career ending injury (and a few others) but the team has to petition the league to allow them to do so.

The SEC lets teams oversign and cut virtually at will.

• Fire 1

If the NCAA would just limit offers to the amount of scholarships as it does on playstation xbox, this problem would not exist.

fixed it for ya ;)

but in all reality the ncaa wants to keep these kids safe and claims they want whats best for these young student athletes. Well maybe I'm in the minority but allowing teams to oversign and then cut a bunch of kids who were counting on their schooling to be paid for is not doing whats best. Alot of these kids cant afford to go to a big university and pay out of state tuition and then after they get cut they have to drop out or go into a ton of debt to go to a school they most likely never would have went to if it wasnt for the football scholarship they thought they were receiving.

This simply lends support to those who call BS when the NCAA claims that they want to maintain the armature status of the sport. If this if the case they need a hard line on scholarships, after all it goes both ways. The school can cut the only thing of value they have to offer a student athlete but if the kid gets a free perk due to his status than the whole world stops. If the kid is locked into getting nothing outside of the value of the Schoie. the school can not take that away unless the kid breaks team and academia rules (Not ending up a great athlete would not count)

I'm surprised this was not brought up in the recent changes to recruiting rules. Maybe it was. I think this is a HUGE advantage in recruiting, and the B1G either needs to raise a stink, or go to a similar system as the SEC. Taking the moral high ground is one thing, but purposefully placing the league at a disadvantage is another.