Nickens to DT

"Effort is something we can all control. I'm going to make mistakes. I'm going to make a lot of mistakes. But I promise you I'm going to give 110 percent while I'm making those mistakes. As along as you're making those mistakes at 110 percent, we can fix the mistakes. Coach can't coach your effort. That's on you. That's your own heart."

:wasted

That was my favorite part of the whole story. In so many ways, its true. Effort is something we didn't have defensively last year. Starting with Rome.

• Fire 2
  • 3 months later...

*bump*

Nickens may be someone to keep an eye on. Might be a more natural fit on the D-line than on offense. And we surely need help on D.

Given our situation at DT, if we have a large local walk-on we should move them all to DT. We need bodies at the position, and maybe we hit on something special.....

With another huge guy (6'5", 310) shifting over to DT to join VV (6'3, 325) - it looks like we're heading towards more of a run stuff DT than our typical years. Any chance we see more 3-4 this season? We talk about it here and there and people quickly shoot it down, attributing their opinion to either Bo's stubbornness to change his scheme or our success under Suh. Well, Suh's gone - and Bo's certainly searching after last year. We aren't playing guys like 285 Rome, or 6'6 290 Baker anymore. We're going 30-40 pounds heavier adding our speed at LBer and end. Seems to me there's a shift beginning. Even if it's still 4-3, we're getting big in the middle, and quick on the ends. That's different than the last few years.

I was hoping to see more, but after Brown being kicked off the team & Roach out for the season I think that may have killed that dream.

I've never understood the desire to make a specific switch to the 3-4 from the 4-3 (or vice versa). Both can be very effective at base defenses, depending on personnel, but you see so many teams (especially at the NFL level) specifically hiring a defensive coach with the goal of making the switch without proper personnel. It just makes no sense to me. It probably won't work, the coach will get fired in a couple of years, and you'll want to make the switch back to the 4-3 now that you've made the partial switch to the 3-4.

With another huge guy (6'5", 310) shifting over to DT to join VV (6'3, 325) - it looks like we're heading towards more of a run stuff DT than our typical years. Any chance we see more 3-4 this season? We talk about it here and there and people quickly shoot it down, attributing their opinion to either Bo's stubbornness to change his scheme or our success under Suh. Well, Suh's gone - and Bo's certainly searching after last year. We aren't playing guys like 285 Rome, or 6'6 290 Baker anymore. We're going 30-40 pounds heavier adding our speed at LBer and end. Seems to me there's a shift beginning. Even if it's still 4-3, we're getting big in the middle, and quick on the ends. That's different than the last few years.

I was hoping to see more, but after Brown being kicked off the team & Roach out for the season I think that may have killed that dream.

That would actually make it even more likely, since a 3-4 only requires 2 traditional LBers. The 2 outside LBers are a DE hybrid type of player. 3-4 is...1 NT, 2 DT, 2 DE, 2 LBer.

That would actually make it even more likely, since a 3-4 only requires 2 traditional LBers. The 2 outside LBers are a DE hybrid type of player. 3-4 is...1 NT, 2 DT, 2 DE, 2 LBer.

Agreed. But I'm not sure we have three DTs (or probably 5 to rotate).

I've never understood the desire to make a specific switch to the 3-4 from the 4-3 (or vice versa). Both can be very effective at base defenses, depending on personnel, but you see so many teams (especially at the NFL level) specifically hiring a defensive coach with the goal of making the switch without proper personnel. It just makes no sense to me. It probably won't work, the coach will get fired in a couple of years, and you'll want to make the switch back to the 4-3 now that you've made the partial switch to the 3-4.

Switching to a 3-4 is also more difficult than switching to a 4-3. Particularly trying to convert defensive ends to outside linebackers. Speaking generally of course, they usually retain much of their DE duties but have to learn a whole lot of LB responsibilities.

Switching from OLB to DE is usually a smoother transition since you have less responsibilities.

I'm of the opinion you should never switch to a 3-4 unless you plan on bringing in guys willing and able to take on those OLB roles. Guys who excel at that position aren't exactly a dime-a-dozen, and if you want to be really successful with a 3-4 defense you need solid OLBs.