Nickens to DT

These changes, request to change, is just poor recruiting raising its head again. We have been told that we are set this year, because we redshirted all this talent. That was the reason for the Piss poor showing last year. Now the player is saying we are weak/ at the DT so he has been ASKED to move over. Poor roster management, kids never playing a position becoming starters, walk ons starting over scholarship players. This team needs someone that has a clue about running a program. I know we won 9 games yea! Sorry 10 games again yea!

We need to get our ducks in line in recruiting, and roster management or we have seen the pinacle of Bo's time here it seems to me. We have talented kids leaving the program because they have been jerked around by this staff. No kid is going to tell the coach no whe he is being told it might, and mean might lead to more playing time. That is a loaded question period. No move, no play, and no chance to because you told the coach no. If you believe anything else, I have ocean front property in western Colorado for you.

This literally happens at every school in the country.

Yes I am sure it does, but it is still recruiting failure. The kid stated we are light in the DT position, and last season we were told we redshirted the talent to do the job this year. Alas we are still light, no/less than needed talent here. Now they maybe coming in the fall, but howmany true freshmen start on the Dline?

And my guess is I have far more knowledge about running a team than you imagine. I have ran several very large teams, developed Olympic and World Class athletes. Please give me your credentials as to knowing more about it than me.

Too much is being read into this-per the usual this time of year.

I don't know about that. The defense has so many red flags that we'd have to be the dumbest fan base on the planet not to be concerned when a walk-on OL who (as far as I know) has never even sniffed the field after 4 years in the program all of a sudden switches positions and finds himself practicing w/ the 2nd string. Don't get me wrong, i like the move. I would have liked it more a couple years ago though.

* ... red flags from Nebraska's spring camp:

1. Walk-on Brodrick Nickens, a senior from Alliance, has gone from working with the second-string offensive line to taking reps with the second-string defensive line, despite not having played defense since high school. Guessing that doesn't happen at Alabama.

Too much is being read into this-per the usual this time of year.

I don't know about that. The defense has so many red flags that we'd have to be the dumbest fan base on the planet not to be concerned when a walk-on OL who (as far as I know) has never even sniffed the field after 4 years in the program all of a sudden switches positions and finds himself practicing w/ the 2nd string. Don't get me wrong, i like the move. I would have liked it more a couple years ago though.

* ... red flags from Nebraska's spring camp:

1. Walk-on Brodrick Nickens, a senior from Alliance, has gone from working with the second-string offensive line to taking reps with the second-string defensive line, despite not having played defense since high school. Guessing that doesn't happen at Alabama.

taking reps with the 2nd string DLINE, coming from reps with the 2nd offensive lline.

It's just as logical as anything to say that he's gone from being the #10 Olineman to the #8 d-lineman. At best, he was the #6 olineman moved to the #5 dlineman.

Aren't we running a bunch of teams of defenses to get as many people we can as many reps as we can? Aren't we told to put no weight in 1st - 2nd - 3rd team defenses right now?

To me, it looks like he is just being used to fill out some gaps on multiple teams. Aren't we short with Moss/Curry hurt?

If Nickens starts at DL at Spring Game, then we have reason to be concerned.

Aren't we running a bunch of teams of defenses to get as many people we can as many reps as we can? Aren't we told to put no weight in 1st - 2nd - 3rd team defenses right now?

To me, it looks like he is just being used to fill out some gaps on multiple teams. Aren't we short with Moss/Curry hurt?

You might end up being concerned then....not saying it is a for sure thing though

So youre saying that if Nickens rolls out with the 1st defense at the spring game, that Huskerboard should be avoided for the next 5 months?

How dare you.

taking reps with the 2nd string DLINE, coming from reps with the 2nd offensive lline.

It's just as logical as anything to say that he's gone from being the #10 Olineman to the #8 d-lineman. At best, he was the #6 olineman moved to the #5 dlineman.

I'm not even sure he was 2nd string OL though. This is honestly the first I've heard of him. Maybe since Reeves is out at RG he's been w/ the 2nd string unit this spring? With the OL, and the way they shuffle things around - lets say he was a guard and he was in the mix with Long, Reeves, ARod, Cotton, and Givens-Price - maybe Mike Moudy?

I think ARod has moved to tackle. Reeves is out for the spring. Pensick is back to center. So Nickens essentiallyhas to beat out maybe 1 guy to make the 2 deep at guard?

Now, DT is maybe the same story. You've got Curry, Guy, Okuyemi who's never played, Randle, VV, Kevin Williams. So he had to beat out a few guys there.

Regardless, we're really thin at both I think. More thin at guard right now though. I expect Pensick to move back when Pelini comes back. Poor kid's been jerked around that line his whole career.

I'm not even sure he was 2nd string OL though. This is honestly the first I've heard of him. Maybe since Reeves is out at RG he's been w/ the 2nd string unit this spring? With the OL, and the way they shuffle things around - lets say he was a guard and he was in the mix with Long, Reeves, ARod, Cotton, and Givens-Price - maybe Mike Moudy?

I think ARod has moved to tackle. Reeves is out for the spring. Pensick is back to center. So Nickens essentiallyhas to beat out maybe 1 guy to make the 2 deep at guard?

Now, DT is maybe the same story. You've got Curry, Guy, Okuyemi who's never played, Randle, VV, Kevin Williams. So he had to beat out a few guys there.

Regardless, we're really thin at both I think. More thin at guard right now though. I expect Pensick to move back when Pelini comes back. Poor kid's been jerked around that line his whole career.

Right now, at this time, to me, all the players in the red could get a starting position, and/or adds great depth. OL does not look to be thin at all. All the black are kids that haven't been talked about at all, or very little, with the exception of Knevel and Hannon, with them being true freshman. They both will likely RS, but you never know. Especially with Knevel. If he can understand the offense fully after fall camp, you could see him as a front runner. 5 spots, with 15 possible starters, who have experience or are raved about by the players, media and/or coaches.

OL

----

Matt Finnin

Zach Hannon

David Knevel

Chongo Kondolo

Jake Cotton

Spencer Long

Mike Maudy

Mark Pelini

Cole Pensick

Givens Price

Brent Qvale

Ryan Reeves

Andrew Rodriquez

Jeremiah Sirles

Zach Sterup

Paul Thurston

Corey Whitaker

Chris Long

Dylan Utter

Brandon Thompson

Bobby Painter

Nick Ash

Brandon Chapek

Scott Chris

Garret Johns

Adam Kucera

Will Sailors

Landen Kubicek

Dustin Glaser

For DT, we are thinner, but you will only have 2 starters out of this whole group, while the remaining are backup players for relief or if they are having troubles. There was a lot of talk about Okuyemi last year, as well as Guy and Uher. Its not even fall camp yet and those guys can emerge to be a valuable players. Greg McMullen, I added, is because there has been talk, from him, about playing DT, as well as DE, because of his size and athleticism. If Randle becomes healthy by game time, it just puts us in better shape. Collins and Maurice could also pull starting positions, if they are healthy after fall camp.

DT

-----

Maleik Collins

Kevin Maurice

Broderick Nickens

Aaron Curry

Jay Guy

Tobi Okuyemi

Jeff Uher

Thad Randle

Kevin Williams

Vincent Valentine

Greg McMullen

Jason Ankrah, Randy Gregory, Greg McMullen Walker Ashburn, Donovan Vestal, Avery Moss, AJ Natter and Dimarya Mixon could be key on the defense as well. I am sure Natter and Mixon will RS, but we are pretty stacked on DE.

Right now, at this time, to me, all the players in the red could get a starting position, and/or adds great depth. OL does not look to be thin at all. All the black are kids that haven't been talked about at all, or very little, with the exception of Knevel and Hannon, with them being true freshman. They both will likely RS, but you never know. Especially with Knevel. If he can understand the offense fully after fall camp, you could see him as a front runner. 5 spots, with 15 possible starters, who have experience or are raved about by the players, media and/or coaches.

OL

----

Matt Finnin

Zach Hannon

David Knevel

Chongo Kondolo

Jake Cotton

Spencer Long

Mike Maudy

Mark Pelini

Cole Pensick

Givens Price

Brent Qvale

Ryan Reeves

Andrew Rodriquez

Jeremiah Sirles

Zach Sterup

Paul Thurston

Corey Whitaker

Chris Long

Dylan Utter

Brandon Thompson

Bobby Painter

Nick Ash

Brandon Chapek

Scott Chris

Garret Johns

Adam Kucera

Will Sailors

Landen Kubicek

Dustin Glaser

For DT, we are thinner, but you will only have 2 starters out of this whole group, while the remaining are backup players for relief or if they are having troubles. There was a lot of talk about Okuyemi last year, as well as Guy and Uher. Its not even fall camp yet and those guys can emerge to be a valuable players. Greg McMullen, I added, is because there has been talk, from him, about playing DT, as well as DE, because of his size and athleticism. If Randle becomes healthy by game time, it just puts us in better shape. Collins and Maurice could also pull starting positions, if they are healthy after fall camp.

DT

-----

Maleik Collins

Kevin Maurice

Broderick Nickens

Aaron Curry

Jay Guy

Tobi Okuyemi

Jeff Uher

Thad Randle

Kevin Williams

Vincent Valentine

Greg McMullen

Jason Ankrah, Randy Gregory, Greg McMullen Walker Ashburn, Donovan Vestal, Avery Moss, AJ Natter and Dimarya Mixon could be key on the defense as well. I am sure Natter and Mixon will RS, but we are pretty stacked on DE.

We have some dead weight on the DL that is for sure. Guy, Okuyemi and Ashburn are sucking up schollies and getting passed by every class that comes in.

Any chance we see more 3-4 this season?

Probably not. We have 4-3 personnel and Bo is a 4-3 guy. 310 isn't huge for a DT, it just seems that way since our DTs have been undersized the last couple years. 325 is big for DT, but certainly not rare.

Once we start converting our DEs to OLB, and our DTs to DE, I'll start buying into the 3-4 hullabaloo. Until then it seems like wishful thinking.

I respectfully disagree The Dude. I don't think 3-4 will be our primary package, but I do believe we will see more of it. They have already been talking about having DE play DT (McMullen for example) and being more hybrid. Do I think we will see a lot of it? No, but we could see a fair share, or more than last year. We are stacked on LB for a reason, and depth chart is slim for DT. We could have recruited a couple more mid grade DT's if we weren't looking to mix it up more. Just my opinion though :)

How does having McMullen playing inside translate to more 3-4?

Stacked at LB? What's the basis for a statement like that? We don't have a single guy at the position who has proven anything significant. Not one guy, let alone enough guys to consider the position "stacked".

Yes, the depth chart is thin at DT, but that's been the case since Bo has been here.

We recruited tons of DTs, just struck out the first half dozen times or so. It certainly wasn't from a lack of trying.