Nickens to DT

I hope they try this out and if it doesnt look like it will work immediately move him back to OL and let him work on getting higher on the depth chart there, I dont think it is a good idea to keep trying to make a player into something their not, or to keep switching players back and forth, seems to be extremely detrimental to the players attitude. I think that is a big reason why Heard is leaving.

I don't think the coaches made him do it. They are short on DT's and asked him if he would be willing to switch and give it a shot. He did the unselfish thing and said ok. He has the size and the coaches probably saw that having a veteran guy over there would help.

See, Nickens has the choice, and he obviously isn't against the switch. Heard was ok with moving to defense the first time. The second position change, wasn't a change at all. They were going to keep Heard at RB, but have him take reps as a WR to get him more playing time, while distributing the ball according to the game.

Every player has the choice to switch positions, the coaches, nor Bo, force them to play something they don't want.

I hope they try this out and if it doesnt look like it will work immediately move him back to OL and let him work on getting higher on the depth chart there, I dont think it is a good idea to keep trying to make a player into something their not, or to keep switching players back and forth, seems to be extremely detrimental to the players attitude. I think that is a big reason why Heard is leaving.

I don't think the coaches made him do it. They are short on DT's and asked him if he would be willing to switch and give it a shot. He did the unselfish thing and said ok. He has the size and the coaches probably saw that having a veteran guy over there would help.

See, Nickens has the choice, and he obviously isn't against the switch. Heard was ok with moving to defense the first time. The second position change, wasn't a change at all. They were going to keep Heard at RB, but have him take reps as a WR to get him more playing time, while distributing the ball according to the game.

Every player has the choice to switch positions, the coaches, nor Bo, force them to play something they don't want.

Yeah, ok. When these players are asked to switch, how much of a "choice" do you think they actually have? For one, I'm sure they're worried about defying what, in the coaches' minds, is the correct position move. Also, it's kinda implied that "hey, you may have more opportunity at this other position than you do here; may be in your best interest to move."

I don't think we have the depth at LB just yet to play a 3-4 base, and I don't think the 3-4 will ever be our base D with Bo here. We will always see a 3-4 look out of this D in different situations such as 3rd and 7+ but that's pretty much the extent of it.

Yeah. The guys who graduated had about 90% of our PT. We're gonna have a lot of learning to do in those first few nonconf games.

Any chance we see more 3-4 this season?

Probably not. We have 4-3 personnel and Bo is a 4-3 guy. 310 isn't huge for a DT, it just seems that way since our DTs have been undersized the last couple years. 325 is big for DT, but certainly not rare.

Once we start converting our DEs to OLB, and our DTs to DE, I'll start buying into the 3-4 hullabaloo. Until then it seems like wishful thinking.

• Fire 1

Yeah, ok. When these players are asked to switch, how much of a "choice" do you think they actually have? For one, I'm sure they're worried about defying what, in the coaches' minds, is the correct position move. Also, it's kinda implied that "hey, you may have more opportunity at this other position than you do here; may be in your best interest to move."

They have the choice to say they are or aren't interested. They aren't going to be kicked off the team if they choose not to, or have their scholarship pulled. This isn't Alabama. So YES they do have the choice to stay, or move to a better suited position, that they will either excel better at, or have more playing time. Again, they are ASKED. They can say no, you know? Each player asked about their position change has stated (to a degree) "The coaches said I could have more playing time at XXXXX position and they thought I would do well there, so I said yes"

""Hey Nickens, you may have more opportunity at this other position than you do here; may be in your best interest to move, and if you don't, we are kicking you off the team" Basically what your saying if they don't have a choice.

Any chance we see more 3-4 this season?

Probably not. We have 4-3 personnel and Bo is a 4-3 guy. 310 isn't huge for a DT, it just seems that way since our DTs have been undersized the last couple years. 325 is big for DT, but certainly not rare.

Once we start converting our DEs to OLB, and our DTs to DE, I'll start buying into the 3-4 hullabaloo. Until then it seems like wishful thinking.

I respectfully disagree The Dude. I don't think 3-4 will be our primary package, but I do believe we will see more of it. They have already been talking about having DE play DT (McMullen for example) and being more hybrid. Do I think we will see a lot of it? No, but we could see a fair share, or more than last year. We are stacked on LB for a reason, and depth chart is slim for DT. We could have recruited a couple more mid grade DT's if we weren't looking to mix it up more. Just my opinion though :)

They have the choice to say they are or aren't interested. They aren't going to be kicked off the team if they choose not to, or have their scholarship pulled. This isn't Alabama. So YES they do have the choice to stay, or move to a better suited position, that they will either excel better at, or have more playing time. Again, they are ASKED. They can say no, you know? Each player asked about their position change has stated (to a degree) "The coaches said I could have more playing time at XXXXX position and they thought I would do well there, so I said yes"

""Hey Nickens, you may have more opportunity at this other position than you do here; may be in your best interest to move, and if you don't, we are kicking you off the team" Basically what your saying if they don't have a choice.

So the implication here would be if a player said no. "The coaches said I could have more playing time at XXXXXX (sic) position and they thought I would do well there. I really wasn't very interested in playing a lot am I'm not really too interested in playing well so I said no."

Who is gonna say no? Yeah, the technically have a "choice" but I also have the choice not to go in to work obliterated drunk every day.

So the implication here would be if a player said no. "The coaches said I could have more playing time at XXXXXX (sic) position and they thought I would do well there. I really wasn't very interested in playing a lot am I'm not really too interested in playing well so I said no."

Who is gonna say no? Yeah, the technically have a "choice" but I also have the choice not to go in to work obliterated drunk every day.

Yeah it isn't a you pick it is more of a subtle if you want to have a chance to play you are switching positions. On another note how many players have you heard of that say no? That should sum up if it really is a choice or not

If a player would say no, which I am sure there are some, you just don't hear about it because the position change never happened. Ever think of that at all? Some players I am sure have denied position change.

Your point is what? You went from "Yeah, ok. When these players are asked to switch, how much of a 'choice' do you think they actually have?" to saying "Yeah, the technically have a "choice" but I also have the choice not to go in to work obliterated drunk every day."

If one has the option to accept or decline, I was almost sure that meant they had the choice, unless one of the choices caused you to be dropped from the team, but again, I am wrong.

These changes, request to change, is just poor recruiting raising its head again. We have been told that we are set this year, because we redshirted all this talent. That was the reason for the Piss poor showing last year. Now the player is saying we are weak/ at the DT so he has been ASKED to move over. Poor roster management, kids never playing a position becoming starters, walk ons starting over scholarship players. This team needs someone that has a clue about running a program. I know we won 9 games yea! Sorry 10 games again yea!

We need to get our ducks in line in recruiting, and roster management or we have seen the pinacle of Bo's time here it seems to me. We have talented kids leaving the program because they have been jerked around by this staff. No kid is going to tell the coach no whe he is being told it might, and mean might lead to more playing time. That is a loaded question period. No move, no play, and no chance to because you told the coach no. If you believe anything else, I have ocean front property in western Colorado for you.

Yeah it isn't a you pick it is more of a subtle if you want to have a chance to play you are switching positions. On another note how many players have you heard of that say no? That should sum up if it really is a choice or not

Lol. It certainly is a choice. Players have said no more than you think over the last couple years.

It's just not reported because nothing changes when they are asked and say no, for reasons such as "I'm more comfortable in my current spot" or "I'd rather not". I think you'd be surprised.

These changes, request to change, is just poor recruiting raising its head again. We have been told that we are set this year, because we redshirted all this talent. That was the reason for the Piss poor showing last year. Now the player is saying we are weak/ at the DT so he has been ASKED to move over. Poor roster management, kids never playing a position becoming starters, walk ons starting over scholarship players. This team needs someone that has a clue about running a program. I know we won 9 games yea! Sorry 10 games again yea!

We need to get our ducks in line in recruiting, and roster management or we have seen the pinacle of Bo's time here it seems to me. We have talented kids leaving the program because they have been jerked around by this staff. No kid is going to tell the coach no whe he is being told it might, and mean might lead to more playing time. That is a loaded question period. No move, no play, and no chance to because you told the coach no. If you believe anything else, I have ocean front property in western Colorado for you.

Do you forget how many players we pulled in on the OL this year, as well?

Also, every team has players change positions. Johnny Manziel almost played WR, for instance.

Position changes occur because younger players can be more talented, develop at a faster rate than expected, or because the recruit doesn't turn out develop as we expect.

In the SEC, these players are released from scholly. This is not true for Nebraska.

Isn't Nickens a walk-on? Yeah he got into the discussion about playing time on the OL, but there are other guys ahead of him. His moving position is probably a combination of needing bodies at DT and the fact that the coaches think Nickens has what it takes to play the position. Jackson jumped sides of the ball every camp it seemed and he ended up being great at Center last year.

How many starters or 2nd teamers have changed position as significantly as Nickens just did? Baptiste is the only one that comes to mind off the top of my head that's still on the team. Then there's Jackson. Turner was a QB coming out of HS, but I don't think after his first camp he was anything other than WR.

The only contributor that has left the program has been Heard. Every single other member of the 2011 class that has left had either played very little and were sitting behind someone in the depth chart (Green and Moore after the line got healthy) or hadn't contributed at all, heck Klachko has already stopped playing football all together.

• Fire 1

You're so naive about how a team is run.

Plain and simple.

Players change position, all the time. ALL THE TIME