Skeptic/Believer

And here we have the great divide between Bolievers and the opposition: whose fault is that? The young, inexperienced defense this year is largely a reflection of poor roster management and awful recruiting a few years ago. I understand there are naturally going to be up and down years, and we still have a lot of talent on defense, but there's going to be way too many growing pains this year for what there should be in a coach's 6th year.

Is it the 60's again? Or maybe the 70's or 80's? Even the early and late 90's had the fans saying pretty much the same sentiment. The more things change the more they stay the same.

What I've learned is that no matter what happens, fans are going to believe what they always believe. Some are eternally thinking that "this is the year!" Others are still trying to figure out how last season could have gone the way they wanted. Some others don't think coach A or B is "getting it done". Recently a large faction has blamed/praised recruiting hits and misses.

The older I get, the more I realize that fans=fanatics. I used to naively think I could convince another fan of a differing viewpoint or that I could learn something from a debate. But really there are very few open-minded fanatics. I'd like to think I'm one of the open-minded ones, but based on what I've seen in others that doesn't seem likely. Mostly what I've learned is that whether you're considered a "skeptic/realist/negative nancy" or a "believer/sun shine pumper/etc" is apparently more important than being a fanatic for your team. I'm not sure if I've got a point other than to just share that opinion with everyone.

As for myself, I usually start out thinking we'll have a poor year and slowly convince myself we'll go undefeated by the opening kickoff.

Right. Because we were contending for super bowls when taylor took over. You are muddling the line between being on the field taking snaps and being successful. What was your original point again?

Because we have ever contended for a Super Bowl? Man that would be the day when Nebraska plays in one of those things!!! I think you meant BCS Bowls? If so, I think every year we are contending for them. In order to be successful, you need to take snaps right? What is your point? I think I made mine completely clear. If not, I can break it down further for you.

I believe we won't skip a beat on offense when Taylor leaves.... Why? We are surrounded with PURE talent. From the RB position, to our WR's. Also, I believe Armstrong and Stanton, overall, are more talented than Martinez, in a QB stance.

Armstrong= has a MUCH better arm and far better accuracy than Taylor, 2 years under Beck's system, learning plays. RS Freshman year he will take snaps under center, gaining the on field experience he will want/need. He is a great leader in practice drills with the 2nd team. You wouldn't have seen him taking a RS last season if it wasn't due to him having his knee cleaned out and redone.

Stanton- If Armstrong falls short on starting role, it will come down to Stanton being far more talented. Stanton, once again, has a better arm and accuracy than Martinez. The kid can run, and YES this is something you can judge off his HS films. The kid is also a leader, something that doesn't go away just because you go to college.

Both of these kids were superior players, playing in TOUGH divisions in HS and have won state as their JR year. Stanton would have taken his team again most likely, if it wasn't due to an ACL tear, which is recovering and ahead of schedule.

I agree. I think both of these kids will excel in Becks offense. With the weapons we have, we don't need a Tommy Frazier, or a Taylor Martinez to be successful. Give Beck a guy like Ganz, with a little more speed (which both of these kids have) and they'll play within the offense putting up a boatload of points. It might not be flashy - but it will be consistent and efficiently executed - something we don't see very often with Taylor.

• Fire 1

I agree. I think both of these kids will excel in Becks offense. With the weapons we have, we don't need a Tommy Frazier, or a Taylor Martinez to be successful. Give Beck a guy like Ganz, with a little more speed (which both of these kids have) and they'll play within the offense putting up a boatload of points. It might not be flashy - but it will be consistent and efficiently executed - something we don't see very often with Taylor.

This doesn't happen much here! Lol jk jk. I agree, we don't need flashy. From Armstrong and Stanton's film, they remind me of Russell Wilson. They don't feel the need to run first, and when they do, they seem to time it right. I understand this is in HS football, but they played in very tough divisions. Texas and California are not easy places to win State Titles. In a way though, Stanton and Armstrong are flashy, in other things that Taylor is not. Like passing. Taylor is a great player, and has done a lot for us, but with those two kids, I think it opens up our abilities to make bigger plays through the air and utilize the talent and speed we have on the outside, something we have not done since Taylor has been our QB (minus the Okie St game), but receivers were still under thrown.

This doesn't happen much here! Lol jk jk. I agree, we don't need flashy. From Armstrong and Stanton's film, they remind me of Russell Wilson. They don't feel the need to run first, and when they do, they seem to time it right. I understand this is in HS football, but they played in very tough divisions. Texas and California are not easy places to win State Titles. In a way though, Stanton and Armstrong are flashy, in other things that Taylor is not. Like passing. Taylor is a great player, and has done a lot for us, but with those two kids, I think it opens up our abilities to make bigger plays through the air and utilize the talent and speed we have on the outside, something we have not done since Taylor has been our QB (minus the Okie St game), but receivers were still under thrown.

I'd take a Russell Wilson, or a Kerry Meier. Taylor is a great passer when we play 100+ ranked passing defenses (Okie State / Southern Miss). Remember us all thinking that coach in Cali had taught him up to Tom Brady levels over the summer after Southern Miss? That quickly faded. Still better, but still barely average. I think he'll have a good season this year though. Replacing junior Taylor I'm not worried about, but if a few things click...replacing senior Taylor might be more difficult.

I'd take a Russell Wilson, or a Kerry Meier. Taylor is a great passer when we play 100+ ranked passing defenses (Okie State / Southern Miss). Remember us all thinking that coach in Cali had taught him up to Tom Brady levels over the summer after Southern Miss? That quickly faded. Still better, but still barely average. I think he'll have a good season this year though. Replacing junior Taylor I'm not worried about, but if a few things click...replacing senior Taylor might be more difficult.

The only way I see Taylor having a better year on passing the ball, is going to be based on how much better our pass protection is. Johnny Football would have a tough time passing with our protection, but then again, we have those speedy talented receivers that could get that long ball, without having to slow down, or backtrack. Taylor's mechanics have gotten significantly, better, when his feathers aren't ruffled. As long as he comes out his Senior year, with the attitude he had when we played Georgia, I can only see him having a wonderful season, and I do think we will have a better pass protection. I just hope A-Rod improves a lot to help this problem, or we replace him.

I guess I'm a believer, probably even a Bo-leiver. Maybe because I don't think like many here that consistantly winning "only" 9 or 10 games is a failure. Somewhere earlier in this thread someone said "I understand there will be ups and downs", well, newsflash, in most places those "downs" are losing seasons, not 4 loss seasons.

I'm usually a skeptic but this year i'm a believer the defense cant get any worse and the offense should be just as good if not better if Bo & Co cant get it done with this schedule then i'll be very disappointed

Get what done?

You know "it"!!! Don't tell me you don't know what "it" is!!!! Ugh, get with the times! LOL

• Fire 1

I am not sure how Husker fans can't be a little optimistic about the potential we have in front of us. Yes, we need to shore up on some issues and I believe this year we will in fact improve on the turn over plague as well as penalties. If we were to fix these two areas alone, it would go a long way towards a very successful season in the wins/loss columns as well as fiasco's like the B1G Championship showing last year. So many drives stopped by self inflicted foopaa's which in turn causes our "D" to have less rest between series and countless other affected areas of the game. Our leaders should have a good understanding of the playbook, we will have more athletic ability on the field than we did last year so it is up to Bo and Co to develop our lines to be formidable and then all should be good to go! (I hope) GBR

bp-590x900.jpg

I'm usually a skeptic but this year i'm a believer the defense cant get any worse and the offense should be just as good if not better if Bo & Co cant get it done with this schedule then i'll be very disappointed

Get what done?

What was that thing we used to do back in the day? What was it. . . oh yeah, win championships.

Get what done?

What was that thing we used to do back in the day? What was it. . . oh yeah, win championships.

quote191_zps4f52df29.jpg

:thumbs

Get what done?

What championship? Division? Conference? National?

Hate to say it, but Divisional is probably going to be the peak for the team next year as well, simply because of the probability of an elite level Ohio St team out of the other division. I'm seeing 2-3 losses right now, including a bowl game.

Damn it. See? Now some of you have turned me into a skeptic. a$$hole$.