For me:

Most eaten = chicken

most enjoyable to cook = BBQ pork (ribs or pulled pork)

If I want something really special = really good rib eye steak on the grill

meat I am starting to eat more and more of = fish, venison, wild turkey....other wild game. Had some really good elk steaks last night.

You should give wild boar a try sometime, it's not like regular pork. Way leaner, and alot more gamey if you like that.

I would love to go wild boar hunting. I have some friends who have done it and I've seen it on TV. It looks like a lot of fun.

I have thought the same for years but the wife says one of those things will kill you. Not only that but the only way I'm goin is with a 50 cal. and its not in the budget.

T_O_B

Been on a real flat iron kick lately, probably the most tender steak I've ever had.
how do you do that exactly? It never turns out right for me. More of an open flame guy.
I'm thinking maybe you misunderstood his post. It's a cut of steak called a "flat iron". It isn't cooked on a flat iron.
youre right. Major, MAJOR facepalm on that one. But Ive heard of pan fried/seared steaks from a guy I know that turn out great, and the few times i've tried it, it's completely gone to sh#t. That's what came to my mind with flat iron.

Try this http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/63252-pan-seared-flat-iron-steaks-with-shallots-and-compound-butter-and-homemade-fries/

Beyond simple.

When I lived in Cali, I was introduced to "tri tip", and next to the flat iron and rib eye, might be my favorite cut...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-tip

I have a brother-in-law in Bakersfield. He cooks tri tip about once a week.

Thats funny, thats where I lived for about a year and a half...

Had this roach coach that would stop outside our shop during lunch, you could get a tri tip sandwich and a coke for 5 bucks...

Been on a real flat iron kick lately, probably the most tender steak I've ever had.

how do you do that exactly? It never turns out right for me. More of an open flame guy.

I'm thinking maybe you misunderstood his post. It's a cut of steak called a "flat iron". It isn't cooked on a flat iron.

Does it come from a particular part of the beef? The words are too small to read but I've never seen flat iron on one of these diagrams. Girlfriend brought some brisket from Austin business trip. Good stuff.

8158023_orig.jpg

Where's the testicle portion???? Come on, you have to include the mountain oysters as part of the "cow"(actually a bull I know, until they get cut anyway).

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot to post this. A couple of weeks ago I had a bison steak at a restaurant. It wasn't bad but it was difficult to tell how the meat really tasted since they used a coffee rub on it. I like the taste of a good beef steak and prefer no seasoning, maybe salt and pepper.

Wife and I have been considering going vegie two days a week. Sombody put up some favorite recipees for us to try. Thanks.

T_O_B

I tried doing "Meatless Mondays" a while back. I think I made it two or three weeks. I was starving, irritable, and extremely tired on those days. I could see cutting back on your red meat and eating more fish, but cutting out meat altogether was awful.

Wife and I have been considering going vegie two days a week. Sombody put up some favorite recipees for us to try. Thanks.

T_O_B

I tried doing "Meatless Mondays" a while back. I think I made it two or three weeks. I was starving, irritable, and extremely tired on those days. I could see cutting back on your red meat and eating more fish, but cutting out meat altogether was awful.

Eat peanuts, peanut butter, etc. also lemon in your water is known to suppress hunger. I like whole wheat toast in the morning with a light layer of peanut butter. Or use all natural honey. Then I'll have a hard boiled egg instead of a candy bar or bag of chips for a snack(this was really hard cause of my love for chips). Lunches were lean turkey sandwich or a hamburger with no bread. If I want to indulge ill eat a 6oz sirloin with grilled veggies but supper was usually chicken breast and wild rice. This was basically my diet for 2 years when I was really health conscious due to a health scare. Never completely cut out meat but cut down to meat once a day instead of 3.