Since 2008, Nebraska ranks 9th in most wins

Northwestern went 2-0 against the SEC. What is your point? Michigan went 0-2, and Nebraska went 0-1.

The simple point that they overglorify the entire SEC as this unstoppable juggernaut. Bottom-feeders or not, our Northwestern beat 2 SEC teams on the field. End of story. SEC is the best. That's not the argument. They are not nearly as far ahead as ESPN and the talking heads want you to think. That is the actual point.

ESPN does glorify the SEC and I will take nothing away from Northwestern's wins but neither Mississippi State nor Vanderbilt beat a team in the FBS that finished with a winning record.

So the SEC's middle to bottom teams are not world-beaters as the whole conference is made out to be? Shocking. Isnt that the point we're all trying to agree on?

Probably. I think they have 2 great teams, 4 strong teams and then a bunch of teams closer to the bottom than the top

Northwestern went 2-0 against the SEC. What is your point? Michigan went 0-2, and Nebraska went 0-1.

The simple point that they overglorify the entire SEC as this unstoppable juggernaut. Bottom-feeders or not, our Northwestern beat 2 SEC teams on the field. End of story. SEC is the best. That's not the argument. They are not nearly as far ahead as ESPN and the talking heads want you to think. That is the actual point.

ESPN does glorify the SEC and I will take nothing away from Northwestern's wins but neither Mississippi State nor Vanderbilt beat a team in the FBS that finished with a winning record.

So the SEC's middle to bottom teams are not world-beaters as the whole conference is made out to be? Shocking. Isnt that the point we're all trying to agree on?

Probably. I think they have 2 great teams, 4 strong teams and then a bunch of teams closer to the bottom than the top

Same here. 2-3 great programs above the rest, but the rest are equivalent to any other conference's equal. This is where the media drives me nuts. They legitimately act as if every team in the SEC is better that everyone else. You have 14 SEC teams, then the rest of the country. And that is complete garbage.

They were thought of highly enough to almost crack the top ten in the BCS before for their losses and only drop out of the top 25 after three consecutive loses...

They were thought of highly enough to almost crack the top ten in the BCS before for their loses and only drop out of the top 25 after three consecutive loses...

Never said they were a bad team

Didn't say you did, it was more a a rhetorical point about how messed up I think things are.

I see. I always thought they should do away with pre-season rankings. All rankings should come out after the 4th or 5th game so we can see what teams are really made of.

Do away with rankings alltogether. No rankings whatsoever. We'll decide #1 and #2 after the last game of the regular season. That's all that really matters. The rest is 100% irrelevant.

Didn't say you did, it was more a a rhetorical point about how messed up I think things are.

I see. I always thought they should do away with pre-season rankings. All rankings should come out after the 4th or 5th game so we can see what teams are really made of.

Do away with rankings alltogether. No rankings whatsoever. We'll decide #1 and #2 after the last game of the regular season. That's all that really matters. The rest is 100% irrelevant.

That too

SEC is all about perception. They put up the National Champion year in and year out. They have 1-3 great teams every year, so that in turn gives a free pass to the rest of the conference as well. But I dont get it. In the nineties, when it was Nebraska, Colorado and Kansas St running the big 8, the Iowa St's and Okla St's and Missouri's didnt get any of the credit that the Ole miss's, Miss St's and Vanderbilts get. "Oh they play in the SEC against such and such, theyre good".

I think the Big XII might have got a little bit of this effect, but it wasn't as obvious. In 1995, the Big 8 had HALF of its members in the Top-10 at the end of the season (add: Kansas). Throw in how much media has changed in the last 20 years, and two BILLION other reasons, and you can see how that bias is a little more noticeable now.

• 2 weeks later...

SEC is all about perception. They put up the National Champion year in and year out. They have 1-3 great teams every year, so that in turn gives a free pass to the rest of the conference as well. But I dont get it. In the nineties, when it was Nebraska, Colorado and Kansas St running the big 8, the Iowa St's and Okla St's and Missouri's didnt get any of the credit that the Ole miss's, Miss St's and Vanderbilts get. "Oh they play in the SEC against such and such, theyre good".

I think the Big XII might have got a little bit of this effect, but it wasn't as obvious. In 1995, the Big 8 had HALF of its members in the Top-10 at the end of the season (add: Kansas). Throw in how much media has changed in the last 20 years, and two BILLION other reasons, and you can see how that bias is a little more noticeable now.

Even in the 90s it was mostly local newspapers, some magazines, and sports talk radio. Their interest was promoting the local team not the best conference. (I had never heard of the Big8 living on the east coast).

Now the media coverage is done by the company with interests in broadcasting the games. I think its interesting that espn works so hard to promote their rival CBS's product.

Tom Osborne: 12.3 games per season

Bo Pelini: 13.6 games per season

It's not "13 vs 11"

Tom Osborne: 0.1 Conference Championship games per season

Bo Pelini: 0.6 Conference Championship games per season

People who mention that 9 wins is much easier now always fail to mention that the level of difficulty of one of those games is much higher than the rest. If Osborne had been forced to play a conference championship game every other year his winning % would be a lot closer to Pelini's.

If we take away their conference championship games:

Osborne: 12.2 games per season

Pelini: 13.0 games per season