Shaka Smart

UCLA just fired a guy who has been to final fours(08 most recently), went 25-10, and won the regular season title of a power conference. UCLA does not exactly have top notch anything either. At VCU Smart could have a statue built of him. Don't discount that aspect of things. Its not like he's making chump change either. One bad year at UCLA and you are on the hot seat, have a bad month and fans are calling for your head. The same fans who don't show up to the games either mind you.

UCLA just fired a guy who has been to final fours(08 most recently), went 25-10, and won the regular season title of a power conference. UCLA does not exactly have top notch anything either. At VCU Smart could have a statue built of him. Don't discount that aspect of things. Its not like he's making chump change either. One bad year at UCLA and you are on the hot seat, have a bad month and fans are calling for your head. The same fans who don't show up to the games either mind you.

I think Howland might have lost his team. IIRC some of his players have had off the court issues. Maybe that had more to do with his firing than his record. If not then the people in charge at Ucla is friggin nuts to fire a coach that has that kind of success.

I think Howland might have lost his team. IIRC some of his players have had off the court issues. Maybe that had more to do with his firing than his record. If not then the people in charge at Ucla is friggin nuts to fire a coach that has that kind of success.

Could be. I think its more of the Shadow of Wooden thing.

Just looked it up to check myself. I don't have the link but there are several player issues that have the higher ups at Ucla unhappy with Howland. On and off the court issues from everything I read. Discipline, drugs and in fighting just to name a few.

Vitale said it best. LA has changed. You have the Lakers, Clippers, and Hollywood to compete with, but yet, the faithful are still stuck in the Wooden years that if you dont cut the nets down, youre gone.

Fired a guy for losing to Minn, so they hire a guy who gave Harvard its first ever NCAA win... And they pay him more than Mora makes.... I'm sure this makes sense to someone, I just don't know him.

Shows ucla is and will always be a Basketball school....no matter what they do on the Football field.

I've also read that his style of play (defensive oriented) was not embraced by players or recruits who wanted to put on more of a show with an uptempo offense.

And just after Alford agreed to a ten year extension. Oops.

In related news, Minnesota is now 0-4 trying to find someone to replace Tubby Smith

I don't know what they expected. Shaka and Stevens were never going to Minny. Everyone wants those guys just like we did last year. They aren't going to get a better coach then Tubby. Best they can hope for is someone similar.

Who says you have to be at a big time school to be happy with yourself? Mark Few has been head coach at Gonzaga for 14 years, an assistant for 12 more, and has never held a position at another school. He has many conference titles, has never missed the tournament, a .803 winning percentage, and 10 WCC coach of the year honors. Is he stupid for not leaving the school and community that he clearly loves? Granted, he has not had the success Smart had in the tournament with his sole freak run to the Final Four, but I'd say he has as much success in his worst years as Smart has had. Maybe he'll turn VCU into that kind of fringe mid-major team that gets associated with the power conference teams that Few has done with Gonzaga. If you're happy somewhere, why leave?