Pretty Good Read

mwj98

I don't know last year didn't really know until the Ohio St for sure. UCLA was a winnable game down to the end even though we gave up a bunch of yards.

So was Ohio St if we take out the pick 6 and punt return TD and additional turnovers even though we gave up a bunch of yards and points.

We'll know. We saw plenty of things (if you were watching subjectively) against Southern Miss (who wound up winless by the way) that suggested there could be some issues.

Why is that when people point this out during the season that we all get jumped on and not until we get blown out does everybody start saying we have problems?

Because it's blind hope. Human nature. I do it too. I'll do it again if we see problems early this year.

I understand that but you eventually need to find horses that can drink. not sit there and think things are going to get fixed if you keep doing the same thing.

I think we have been doing that. The last two recruiting classes are full of what sure seems to be horses that are able to drink. I don't think anyone in our program has been sitting around.

I don't know last year didn't really know until the Ohio St for sure. UCLA was a winnable game down to the end even though we gave up a bunch of yards.

Didnt' the defense only give up like 3 points all of the 2nd half until the touchdown at the very end (which came off an INT, right?)

Everyone keeps asking these questions, "well why didn't they get fixed?" without actually looking at the evidence that at times, they were fixed. We got trounced in the Ohio State game, okay, looks like we need to fix some things. Hey, what do you know? We won out the rest of the regular season. But I'm sure they didn't fix anything in that stretch.

• Fire 1

To some degree I think by the time Bo realized his defense wasn't going to pull its weight, it was also late enough in the year that he would have taken flak for pulling redshirts. By the last two games that defense was held together with baling wire and duct tape. By then you just ride out the storm and thank the kids for playing hard. No need to trash them now.

• Fire 3

IMO, Bo has never called out a player and will not. The fixes, again IMO, have to do with personnel over scheme. When we had the horses (2009 and 2010) we looked like world beaters on D. The first 2 "poor" recruiting classes hurt on D. Bo had to play guys who "knew" the system over guys who did not. Looking at our roster, in 2011 and 2012 were the younger guys really athletically much better? Did they step up and improve our D? Obviously not. Seems a lot, myself included, are hoping that true Fresh and Red Shirt guys can step up this year.

Maybe Raymond was more correct than any of us when he said to "look at them and look at us". Bo calls a complicated scheme that takes smarts and athletic ability. We are kidding ourselves to think the past two years we were deep with talent. Look at how many walk-ons have been starting on both sides of the ball. How many DL we had on schollie, yet Cam had to move inside when Stein went down or a converted DL to center etc.......

The past 2 years, we have been so devoid of quality depth and it shows.

Bo's comments also show a man who realizes his stubbornness has possibly cost us as many games as the lack of fundamentals and fumbles. From the "should have played some guys" to the "starters on special teams" etc.... Show a coach who, again IMO, gets it and what needs to be done. Throw in basically brand new staff with little to no experience and lack of talent and depth and you get what we had the past two years (well actually 4 if you count our pathetic O in 2009 and 2010.

IMO, Bo has never called out a player and will not. The fixes, again IMO, have to do with personnel over scheme. When we had the horses (2009 and 2010) we looked like world beaters on D. The first 2 "poor" recruiting classes hurt on D. Bo had to play guys who "knew" the system over guys who did not. Looking at our roster, in 2011 and 2012 were the younger guys really athletically much better? Did they step up and improve our D? Obviously not. Seems a lot, myself included, are hoping that true Fresh and Red Shirt guys can step up this year.

Maybe Raymond was more correct than any of us when he said to "look at them and look at us". Bo calls a complicated scheme that takes smarts and athletic ability. We are kidding ourselves to think the past two years we were deep with talent. Look at how many walk-ons have been starting on both sides of the ball. How many DL we had on schollie, yet Cam had to move inside when Stein went down or a converted DL to center etc.......

Bo's comments also show a man who realizes his stubbornness has possibly cost us as many games as the lack of fundamentals and fumbles. From the "should have played some guys" to the "starters on special teams" etc.... Show a coach who, again IMO, gets it and what needs to be done. Throw in basically brand new staff with little to no experience and lack of talent and depth and you get what we had the past two years (well actually 4 if you count our pathetic O in 2009 and 2010.

I'm not convinced it's fixed. A lot of that void isn't for a lack of recruiting, its for a lack of retention of those recruits (peat/rome, etc) - and moving others to the OL - Pensick. 2 offseasons ago we were talking about our young talent on the DL exactly like we are talking about this years. Those guys are no long here - we'll have to wait and see if these guys are a year or two from now when we finally need them.

I'm not convinced it's fixed. A lot of that void isn't for a lack of recruiting, its for a lack of retention of those recruits (peat/rome, etc) - and moving others to the OL - Pensick. 2 offseasons ago we were talking about our young talent on the DL exactly like we are talking about this years. Those guys are no long here - we'll have to wait and see if these guys are a year or two from now when we finally need them.

Agree with you on that. Retention has proven an issue as has player development. The staff seems,IMO, to do a poor job in getting younger guys ready to play. QB is a prime example. No back up with any playing time.

I hope that Bo admitting he was wrong not playing the our younger guys last year will translate to playing more guys this year. Retention will be better if more guys get reps and actually see themselves getting meaningful snaps. ie Heard, Green, come to mind on the O side.

At least Bo has admitted some issues and will hopefully figure something out. Avoid blow out losses and I will believe it. We get curb stomped again, I am done and realize that it is the staff.

I understand that but you eventually need to find horses that can drink. not sit there and think things are going to get fixed if you keep doing the same thing.

I think we have been doing that. The last two recruiting classes are full of what sure seems to be horses that are able to drink. I don't think anyone in our program has been sitting around.

Didnt' the defense only give up like 3 points all of the 2nd half until the touchdown at the very end (which came off an INT, right?)

Everyone keeps asking these questions, "well why didn't they get fixed?" without actually looking at the evidence that at times, they were fixed. We got trounced in the Ohio State game, okay, looks like we need to fix some things. Hey, what do you know? We won out the rest of the regular season. But I'm sure they didn't fix anything in that stretch.

well i know they didn't fix anything because we were barely winning against the more terrible teams. a field goal or td we would of lost an extra 3-5 games last year.

So was Ohio St if we take out the pick 6 and punt return TD and additional turnovers even though we gave up a bunch of yards and points.

We'll know. We saw plenty of things (if you were watching subjectively) against Southern Miss (who wound up winless by the way) that suggested there could be some issues.

Why is that when people point this out during the season that we all get jumped on and not until we get blown out does everybody start saying we have problems?

Because it's blind hope. Human nature. I do it too. I'll do it again if we see problems early this year.

blind hope is not human nature.

blind hope is not human nature.

Is for me. Guess i'm an alien. I'm still hopin gas and taxes will go down some day.

Whatevs.

Agree with you on that. Retention has proven an issue as has player development. The staff seems,IMO, to do a poor job in getting younger guys ready to play. QB is a prime example. No back up with any playing time.

I hope that Bo admitting he was wrong not playing the our younger guys last year will translate to playing more guys this year. Retention will be better if more guys get reps and actually see themselves getting meaningful snaps. ie Heard, Green, come to mind on the O side.

At least Bo has admitted some issues and will hopefully figure something out. Avoid blow out losses and I will believe it. We get curb stomped again, I am done and realize that it is the staff.

If we keep getting blown out i don't know how Bo can say he's fixing things and he knows how to play D. It would be Callahan all over again except with a higher winning percentage.

If Bo wouldve pulled the redshirts of guys like McMullen, Valentine, and some of them linebackers, there wouldve been HOWLS, regardless of the outcomes. Nobody act like there wouldnt've been.

I dn't know about that. 5th year seniors are becoming more and more rare. Most of us are beginning to expect the freshmen to get in there. I'd be feeling a lot better about this season if McMullen, Valentine, and some of those linebackers had 100 snaps under their belts.

What's concerning to me are the redshirt freshman / sophomores that still aren't able to make their way onto the field. Guys like Jackson, Cooper, etc. And Santo's all but disapeared through conference play.

Hopefully last year was just a anomaly. I think Bo knows he managed the roster incorrectly on the defensive side of the ball last year. Unfortunately that will cost us this year too though.

If Bo wouldve pulled the redshirts of guys like McMullen, Valentine, and some of them linebackers, there wouldve been HOWLS, regardless of the outcomes. Nobody act like there wouldnt've been.

I dn't know about that. 5th year seniors are becoming more and more rare. Most of us are beginning to expect the freshmen to get in there. I'd be feeling a lot better about this season if McMullen, Valentine, and some of those linebackers had 100 snaps under their belts.

What's concerning to me are the redshirt freshman / sophomores that still aren't able to make their way onto the field. Guys like Jackson, Cooper, etc. And Santo's all but disapeared through conference play.

Hopefully last year was just a anomaly. I think Bo knows he managed the roster incorrectly on the defensive side of the ball last year. Unfortunately that will cost us this year too though.

He said he did.

what changes if any did the coaching staff make on defense to compensate for the lack of talent? i'm not an X's and O's guys so i have no idea and am just asking but watching the UCLA, OSU, second wisconsin game and parts of the georgia game some of the defenders just looked out matched by the guys on the other team was the front 7 that bad or was there something the coaching staff could have done i have a hard time believing it was just a personnel problem when plenty of teams didnt give up 70 to wisconsin or 63 to OSU