2013 starting lineup guesswork

• 2 weeks later...

Well here is my post-spring practice starters (IMO).

QB - Martinez

RB - Abdullah

FB - Zimmerer

WR - Bell/Moore

WR - Enunwa

WR - Turner/Westerkamp

TE - Long/Cotton

LT - Qvale/Finnin

LG - Cotton

C - Pensick

RG - Long

RT - Sirles/Finnin

RE - Gregory

DT - VV

DT - Curry

LE - Ankrah

WLB - Anderson

MLB - Santos

SLB - Aflava

NB - Evans

CB - Green/Mitchell

FS - HJackson

SS - Cooper

CB - Seisay/Jean-Baptiste

Edit: Forgot about Gregory...I pencil him in ahead of Moss.

Mine are the same, except I'd put Mitchell ahead of SJB. Other than the defensive line, I don't think there's really that much guesswork here. The defensive line might be like the cornerbacks from last year, where they'll rotate so much it won't really matter who starts.

QB - Martinez

RB - Abdullah

FB - Zimmerer

WR - Bell

WR - Enunwa

WR - Turner

TE - Long

LT - Qvale

LG - Cotton

C - Pensick

RG - Long

RT - Sirles

RE - Moss

DT - Williams

DT - Curry

LE - Ankrah

WLB - Anderson

MLB - Santos

SLB - Aflava

NB - Evans

CB - Jean-Baptiste/Mitchell

FS - Jackson

SS - Cooper

CB - Seisay/Green

As several have mentioned there will be lots of guys playing the first couple of games to see who steps up. I'm hoping that whomever does is capable of getting the other teams O off the field on a regular basis. The more we can keep our O on the field the more they can score with all their weapons. I think speed and understanding the schemes will be crucial to how good our record is. I hope they have a great summer and show up in the fall ready to knock some heads .... just not hard enough to get a flag however.

I keep hearing mixed reviews about Valentine. If he's not in shape, that is concerning. There's a lot of "want to" involved in defense, particularly Bo's defense, and if you don't bother getting into shape after being here over a year, what else aren't you going to do?

This has been stated already, but I think the starting lineups won't mean much, because there will be alot of individuals rotating in and out; both on offense and defense. The only player I see staying in for just about every play is Martinez.

Randy Gregory

Gotta wait and see with him. If he's on fire in fall camp that will be a bonus, but I'm expecting his assimilation to be gradual.

He was recruited to be a starting DE, not come off of the bench.

There is a reason he was the top juco DE in the nation and he is getting NFL looks, supposedly.

He is probably already our best DE, even without knowing the scheme. Similar to how Lavonte didn't really know the scheme but was clearly our best player.

I'd be shocked if Randy wasn't starting by conference play, unless his injury is worse than we've been led to believe.

Randy Gregory

Gotta wait and see with him. If he's on fire in fall camp that will be a bonus, but I'm expecting his assimilation to be gradual.

There is a reason he was the top juco DE in the nation and he is getting NFL looks, supposedly.

He is probably already our best DE, even without knowing the scheme. Similar to how Lavonte didn't really know the scheme but was clearly our best player.

I'd be shocked if Randy wasn't starting by conference play, unless his injury is worse than we've been led to believe.

A ton goes into recruiting. I'm going to assume our training staff made damn sure he wasn't hiding anything.

Randy Gregory

A ton goes into recruiting. I'm going to assume our training staff made damn sure he wasn't hiding anything.

Thats not exactly what I meant to say...

I meant to say unless his therapy was hindered or not progressing as was anticipated and lack of playing physical football for a year is a bigger deal than we've been led to believe it is.

^^ Clearly, I think he is fine and will be our best DE.

Randy Gregory

I meant to say unless his therapy was hindered or not progressing as was anticipated and lack of playing physical football for a year is a bigger deal than we've been led to believe it is.

That would be great for it to be true, but I have to see it 1st.

Randy Gregory

I see what you mean.

I keep hearing mixed reviews about Valentine. If he's not in shape, that is concerning. There's a lot of "want to" involved in defense, particularly Bo's defense, and if you don't bother getting into shape after being here over a year, what else aren't you going to do?

This has been stated already, but I think the starting lineups won't mean much, because there will be alot of individuals rotating in and out; both on offense and defense. The only player I see staying in for just about every play is Martinez.

I don't think there is too much to get alarmed about with VV. He is a true freshman, he'll develop over time. But I agree with you that the lineup will be fluid, because of constant rotations.

I don't think there is too much to get alarmed about with VV. He is a true freshman, he'll develop over time. But I agree with you that the lineup will be fluid, because of constant rotations.

Hes a Rs Frosh and should have good weight on him after a year with the program. If not and he's heavy cause of bad eating or what have you, then I'm worried. We need him to take a leadership role even as a young player. It's all in front of him. Will he want to work for it?