Ranking Big 10 coaches - Bo # 7

I would argue that Bo should be ranked higher than Anderson of Wisconsin, but that's really it. Everyone else above him is fairly placed. Though I'd be really curious to see what Pat Fitzgerald could do at a place with the resources of OSU.... Easily could be as good as Urban Meyer.

As for Nebraska, I don't watch much Nebraska football as some of the games aren't shown here in Michigan, but from what I've seen, I think Nebraska needs to get bigger at the LOS if they want to win the Big Ten. The team is talented and BP is a good coach. I think the issue is, the team is too small upfront. I believe that's why Nebraska has suffered blowout loses to teams like Michigan (2011), Wisconsin (2011 and the 2012 BIg Ten Championship Game), and Ohio State (2012). In each of those games, Nebraska was beaten up at the LOS. If the team gets bigger and more phyiscal upfront, they will be good to go. Just my humble opinion, thats all.

Our dline has been a real problem area the past two seasons, mainly due to (you got it right) lack of size. Especially last year when we were reduced to playing Cam Meredith, a DE by trade, at DT. He's a good DE, but at 260 lbs is not a DT. The past couple of recruiting classes we have focused alot of time on the front 7 of the defense, so you should see some improvement. Thanks for the input, it's always nice to hear what other Big Ten teams have to say.

Though Brady Hoke may not be the best coach in Michigan football history (Feilding Yost, Fritz Crisler, and Bo Schembechler all probably deserve that honor), I think its asinie to say that he's not a good coach, given the mess the man inherited back in January, 2011. Not only was Michigan coming off a 7-6 season, which included blowout losses to Michigan State, Iowa, Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Mississippi State in the Gator Bowl, they were coming off three of the worst seasons in Michigan Football history. Recruiting wasn't up to Michigan standards and the team was unprepaired in most games, especially in conference play. Not to mention, there was division within the program. Michigan football was a total mess.

In one year, Hoke took a team that went 7-6 in 2010, and manage to have a 11-2 season, including a major bowl win. Second year, manage to go 8-5 in one of the toughest schedules in the nation, where they were competitive in every game except one (Alabama, which is no shame, since that team won another National title). Though the team hasn't won a Big Ten title yet, the fact that this team went 19-7 in two seasons, given the roster problems this team had (lack of depth and talent at critical positions), I say Hoke has done a fantastic job with this program. To say Michigan isn't on the rise is inaccurate. Recruiting has picked up considerably over the past couple years, and the team is definately a program on the rise. They should be better in 2013. Just saying.

I say the list ESPN has is accurate. Not a fan of Urban Meyer or Ohio State, but one has to give credit where credit is due.

Michigan backed into and very closely won a BCS bowl game against an ACC team. That is the ONLY thing Hoke has on Bo. Bo inherited just as much if not more of a mess as Hoke. They have split head to head. They've each had their ups and downs. Bo's been to the conference championship game. No one is saying Hoke isnt a good coach (unless I'm wrong?), it's that he for some reason is regarded as a clear #2 or #3 coach in the Big 10, and Bo is so lowly regarded. Why? Is it the recruiting classes that we know nothing about yet? For whatever the reason, it's bullsh#t. Hoke probably does deserve to be in the top 5 of Big 10 coaches, but if so, then so does Bo.

• Fire 1

Bo inherited a team, based on stats, the worst defensive team in the country when he arrived in 2008. Took them to a top 40 overall D in 2008, and in 2009 we had the best defense in the cluntry (spare me the Bama arguement, no one had sh#t on our defense).

Bo inherited a team, based on stats, the worst defensive team in the country when he arrived in 2008. Took them to a top 40 overall D in 2008, and in 2009 we had the best defense in the cluntry (spare me the Bama arguement, no one had sh#t on our defense).

Best defense in the country-IN AN OFFENSIVELY LOADED CONFERENCE EVEN.

How good was that defense the past two years?

And that is why he's not rated higher.

Did we still win 10 games each of the last two seasons, and make the Big Ten Championship game?

Did we still win 10 games each of the last two seasons, and make the Big Ten Championship game?

Did we get play our best in big games, win the Big Ten Championship game, or win a bowl game?

Bo's demeanor (in a very VERY few and well-publicized instances) is what's holding him back more than anything, and we all know that, as well as Bo himself.

This is false if you mean in a "needs to change his attitude" kinda way. But true if you mean in a perception/recruiting kinda way.

Bo's demeanor (in a very VERY few and well-publicized instances) is what's holding him back more than anything, and we all know that, as well as Bo himself.

This is false if you mean in a "needs to change his attitude" kinda way. But true if you mean in a perception/recruiting kinda way.

Yes, in the perception kinda way. It's fact. Media has taken an instance, maybe 2, and blown them up to epic proportions. Is looked at as an a-hole outside of Nebraska-probable from a near unanimous point of view. And he's actually not. Hell, we even have some out of state posters on this exact board that have a very distorted view of Bo. My brother's future mother in law is from Wisconsin. Grew up in Nebraska. Loves the Huskers. Cant stand Bo. Doesnt understand how he gets away with treating kids like that. Her exact words. That is a pretty widespread mindset throughout the country outside of Nebraska. Where does it come from? One maybe 2 particular events. He's no more cranky with the media than many other coaches after a loss. He doesnt yell at players or refs anymore after a loss, but he's had 2 pretty signature moments that have been blown way out of perspective.

Yes, in the perception kinda way. It's fact. Media has taken an instance, maybe 2, and blown them up to epic proportions. Is looked at as an a-hole outside of Nebraska-probable from a near unanimous point of view. And he's actually not. Hell, we even have some out of state posters on this exact board that have a very distorted view of Bo. My brother's future mother in law is from Wisconsin. Grew up in Nebraska. Loves the Huskers. Cant stand Bo. Doesnt understand how he gets away with treating kids like that. Her exact words. That is a pretty widespread mindset throughout the country outside of Nebraska. Where does it come from? One maybe 2 particular events. He's no more cranky with the media than many other coaches after a loss. He doesnt yell at players or refs anymore after a loss, but he's had 2 pretty signature moments that have been blown way out of perspective.

It's because he hasn't won anything of substance. Saban has hit his own guys on the sideline, but you don't hear about it because he wins.

It's because he hasn't won anything of substance. Saban has hit his own guys on the sideline, but you don't hear about it because he wins.

Very true Sabin and others do get away with a lot more, because they have won more.

Very true Sabin and others do get away with a lot more, because they have won more.

That too. I left that out because it's I figured it was common knowledge.