Ranking Big 10 coaches - Bo # 7

It depends on your standards for quality. Was Nebraska's class better than 5 years ago?

Have we improved on the level of players we have signed.

Are we recruiting kids that are perceived to get us to MNC by any source other than Nebraska Fan.

My take.

We are recruiting better than 5 years ago. Hard not to.

Are we getting better players. Yes

Are we getting kids that will lead this program to a MNC/playoff. Not likely.

Are we getting kids that should improve the win/loss record, to close to call, but we are getting kids that should keep the scores closer against quality opponents. So we are making headway.

I agree with this assessment. Especially getting the guys will get us that crystal football. But the thing is, I just dont think thats possible here. Osborne had a tremendous development program. It was a step ahead. Sure he got those few great players, but he never got classes full. We dont have that 3-6 top notch players within that state that we're 100% sure are coming here every year to lean on like every other state in the country.

Accountability---I stopped after your first sentence. It's ludicrous. It's not a development issue. It's a recruiting/talent issue. You dont pay much attention to anything outside of gameday do you? Suh? Bo did that. Prince Amukamara? He was a frickin WR when Bo got here. Dennard? That's one of Bo's recruits. Rex? The same. Crick? Hagg? Gomes? O'hanlon? Turner? Allen? LAVONTE DAVID? Taylor Martinez? Kenny Bell? SPENCER LONG?

Yeah. Youre right. Even given talent like any other coach, Bo can't develop sh#t.

Even the great coaches have to have the talent to start with. Bo has not had that the last couple years. His recruiting has improved. That is fact. You cant make chicken salad out of chicken sh#t.

As far as Nick Saban goes....

His time at Michigan St was a borderline failer. 1 9-win season in 5 (since that seems to be the judging point of which Bo is deemed such a failure in comparison), and that was Nicks 2nd HC job. He tucks tail to the SEC where it's easier to nab top notch talent (it is, dont kid yourself) and all a suddent he's winnin championships. Odd how that happens when you have elite talent at your disposal. But it's Nick cant develop players either :rolleyes:

EDIT: Ok, I read the rest out of curiousity. This is not 1995 and it's never gonna be again. It's gonna take time to restore what he had as far as intangibles go within this program. Why cant some understand that it doesnt happen overnight. It's not that the kids are not being developed, it's that everyone else is developing them just as well. We dont have the 3-steps-above-the-rest S&C and psychological programs anymore that gave us that edge with walk-ons. Good grief, why is this so hard to grasp? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. It's the same old "back in the 90's yeeda yoo"

Lastly. Winning cures all. It's an ugly fact of life. When Bo finally wins something of substance, all the Bo haters will lining up behind us Bo lovers to kiss his toes just the sam

Just checked the NFL draft. 174 taken, not one from Nebraska. Tell me again how we are recruiting quality players and how Pelini develops players? You could not be more wrong! It is an embarrassing joke.

Well considering it was Pelini's first ever recruiting class... and the fact he still won ten games with that group of seniors last year... and the fact he won 10 games on a brutally tough schedule... I'd say we should have a better team on the field this year. You're thinking too much if you ask me.

The fact there were that many 'untalented' seniors that started on last year's 10 win team would imply that Pelini is a very good coach. Wouldn't it?

The Seniors may have had some talent but were not developed. 3-4 star recruits need to be 5 star players by their 5th year. If they were it would have been 14-0 instead of 10-4. You want to remember that the Big 10 was not a very strong league last year. Only two listed in the top 25 of the Coaches Poll, Northwestern (16) and Nebraska (23).

Yep. None of the seniors were better on January 1, 2013 than they were Sept 1, 2009. Not one bit. :rolleyes:

Dont you see? They just werent that good to begin with. That's the point trying to be made to you, but it doesnt seem to be getting through.

I think it is possible, but it takes a kid like Maisel.(spelling) Kind of unknown, lights out player, that just comes in on fire. As to being a every year in the hunt program, I really do not think that will ever happen again. Are we a program that should be mentioned nearly every year, possibly. But we should be a top ten program. We need to be.

We'd all be in a much better mood if the 'Blackshirts' hadn't given up 115 points in their final 2 games, not to mention the fact that they really weren't that impressive in the Spring Game. We'll see how things go with what should be an easier schedule, but this group of 18-22 year-olds probably won't live up to our expectations. Yet again. I still contend that the hurry-up may get us some yards, but only hurts us overall. We need to take advantage of being the 8th best rushing team in the nation. I'm not saying we try to re-create 90's glory, but since we can run the ball, so eat clock, and the better the defense will do. Pelini made the football program and all of us look pretty bad during the Buckeye Beatdown and Wisky2. Since he's still the coach, all I can take from it is that it was a hard lesson to learn, hopefully he still learned it, and Nebraska NEVER again gets blown out once, let alone twice in one season. Considering EVERYTHING he has at his disposal, you'd think the Big Red would have more to show for the last 5 years. Curse of Black Friday (11-23-01) - I won't stop believing it until we win a conference title and/or a BCS bowl game. Until then, Chris Brown is still running for 6, taking our dignity with him.

We'd all be in a much better mood if the 'Blackshirts' hadn't given up 115 points in their final 2 games, not to mention the fact that they really weren't that impressive in the Spring Game. We'll see how things go with what should be an easier schedule, but this group of 18-22 year-olds probably won't live up to our expectations. Yet again. I still contend that the hurry-up may get us some yards, but only hurts us overall. We need to take advantage of being the 8th best rushing team in the nation. I'm not saying we try to re-create 90's glory, but since we can run the ball, so eat clock, and the better the defense will do. Pelini made the football program and all of us look pretty bad during the Buckeye Beatdown and Wisky2. Since he's still the coach, all I can take from it is that it was a hard lesson to learn, hopefully he still learned it, and Nebraska NEVER again gets blown out once, let alone twice in one season. Considering EVERYTHING he has at his disposal, you'd think the Big Red would have more to show for the last 5 years. Curse of Black Friday (11-23-01) - I won't stop believing it until we win a conference title and/or a BCS bowl game. Until then, Chris Brown is still running for 6, taking our dignity with him.

Good post! Glad someone else has their rose colored glasses off. The "hurry up offense" is a gimmick. When you have to resort to gimmicks, trick plays, and other non-traditional football crap, it is a sign of weakness. Football, like any other sport, has fundamental things you must be able to do to be successful. The two things you must be able to do in football are blocking and tackling. Lacking those two basic skill sets will result in complete meltdowns. In order to perform at a high level, you have to have athletes who can, on every designed play, execute blocking and tackling. If those two objectives can be honed and executed, the rest of the game plan will fall in place. We simply do not have the athletes that can do those fundamental things to make for a consistent winning program. It is possible to schedule winning seasons. The non conference schedule alone can yield 4 of your total wins. It is not possible to consistently win championships with inferior talent. The complete drubbing like Ohio State and Wisconsin were not anomalies. We were beaten by superior teams who had better over all talent and most of all,------------better coaching.

Pretty good post. Couple issues though.

If youre creating defensive expectations based on the spring game, it's time to step off the ledge. Half of the highly touted players didnt play, and the ones who did were split up into separate teams anyway. I'll be honest, I took more away from the 2012 spring game than the 2013 edition (but there wasnt a 2012 spring game-exactly).

2nd, as landlord said. My mood is perfectly fine.

3rd. Bo and the team did not make us look bad with some bad losses. It's a god damn game. Again, I think you need to step back off the ledge a little.

Lastly. I do see your point about the Black Friday. It really seems that program just cant get over what that day did, even though a day like that was in the makings for a good 4 years to begin with.

If youre creating defensive expectations based on the spring game, it's time to step off the ledge. Half of the highly touted players didnt play, and the ones who did were split up into separate teams anyway.

I get what you're saying about the guys who didn't play, but the offensive guys were split up too. You can't really use that as an explanation of why the defense didn't perform well.

I still contend that the hurry-up may get us some yards, but only hurts us overall. We need to take advantage of being the 8th best rushing team in the nation. I'm not saying we try to re-create 90's glory, but since we can run the ball, so eat clock, and the better the defense will do.

Perhaps one of the reasons we run the ball so well is because of our tempo?

I still contend that the hurry-up may get us some yards, but only hurts us overall. We need to take advantage of being the 8th best rushing team in the nation. I'm not saying we try to re-create 90's glory, but since we can run the ball, so eat clock, and the better the defense will do.

Perhaps one of the reasons we run the ball so well is because of our tempo?

It might also be because we've gotten spoiled with a couple guys named Helu and Burkhead past few years...

Speaking of developing players? Check out how many native Nebraska kids were on the 1995 team. I think I counted over 100. These kids, recruited or walk-ons, were part of a system that developed players. (And subsequently, national championships).

http://www.huskers.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=4&SPID=22&DB_OEM_ID=100&Q_SEASON=1995

We had a ton more in state talent then than we do now. This year is a good year for Nebraska, however if we were a state like Missouri we wouldn't have to work as hard to recruit.

I think we have a ton of talent on our roster and a lot of potential. I do believe that the kids we have on our roster have the POTENTIAL to be elite and get us to MNCs/Playoffs.

Speaking of developing players? Check out how many native Nebraska kids were on the 1995 team. I think I counted over 100. These kids, recruited or walk-ons, were part of a system that developed players. (And subsequently, national championships).

http://www.huskers.c...0&Q_SEASON=1995

We had a ton more in state talent then than we do now. This year is a good year for Nebraska, however if we were a state like Missouri we wouldn't have to work as hard to recruit.

I think we have a ton of talent on our roster and a lot of potential. I do believe that the kids we have on our roster have the POTENTIAL to be elite and get us to MNCs/Playoffs.

There are about 60 kids from Neb. on the current team. That is a significant drop off. There was only 1 Nebraska recruit on the 2013 class list. Are we saying that there was only one kid in the state of Nebraska with enough talent and ability to play on the NU football team? Only one recruited for the 2012 team? Thee from the 2011 class? Four from the 2010 class? That is a total of 9 Nebraska kids in the last four years! I do not believe that the talent level has dropped off that much.

Duh.

Our strenght and conditioning as well as our phsycological programs were about 6 steps ahead of the rest of the country. Development, yes. It's what we're saying. But right now those things are just as good everywhere else.

Duh duh duh.

Duh.

Our strenght and conditioning as well as our phsycological programs were about 6 steps ahead of the rest of the country. Development, yes. It's what we're saying. But right now those things are just as good everywhere else.

Duh duh duh.

Duh, everyone knows this. However, our lack of development and the rest of the country passing us by is the whole point! Monumental embarrassing beat downs are the result. If the competition catches up with you, you had better find a way to step it up a notch. NU does not develop players anymore. Boyd Epley was a huge loss. He could develop players physically, evaluate the needs and make the changes. He even invented various weight training apparatus to meet the specific needs of players. We have the finest weight room in the country and still get pushed off of the O line and D line. We have not had a good weight room coach since. The gig is to recruit. And, we don't seem to be able to do that either. Duh x 10000000000000000000000!