Ranking Big 10 coaches - Bo # 7

I think Bo gets a lot of it because he so different than Coach Osborne. Clownahan never was accepted, Bo has been by most and by the media as the Nebraska Head Coach. So when he gets riled up it seems far more than it is. I live on the West Coast, and most football fans that I talk with think he is a raving lunatic. As someone stated, Bo when angry looks mean, nasty, out of control veins bulging and saliva flying. That is just Bo. There has to be a pretty good man under that mask. He has made Nebraska better in every thing that means anything. Jack showed that the wizard truly has a heart.

Bo knows his image is not the greatest. And he has really worked on it. He has changed tremendously since charging Coach Snyder, my first negative with Bo. Virginia Tech, in a sense costing his team the win at home. A&M and Taylor, were tough to watch. But since those he has really cleaned up his act. Still needs to work on his media relationships, but he has improved by leaps and bounds. I am not sure any of the others are any worse or any better. We just seem to think so because he is one of ours.

Unfortunately for everyone who is an NU fan, Pelini has cast is image with the rest of the sports world. That will be a huge and almost insurmountable image to overcome. Most folks I know outside the program, from other states, all have the same negative image of this man. Comments like, "A very angry man who can't recruit." When I travel, I usually wear an NU baseball hat. Upon observing my hat, the conversation usually starts out with something negative about Pelini. It is my belief that if he does not win a conference championship or a national title very soon, he will be kicking rocks down the road. He may well be a very reserved, nice, quality person in his private life, but his NU spot light image is not good on the national register of perceptions. Recruiting is what college football is all about. If his image is as most see it, he will continue to have a hard time getting the "difference makers" to attend NU. Thus, he has written his own epitaph.

Unfortunately for everyone who is an NU fan, Pelini has cast is image with the rest of the sports world. That will be a huge and almost insurmountable image to overcome. Most folks I know outside the program, from other states, all have the same negative image of this man. Comments like, "A very angry man who can't recruit." When I travel, I usually wear an NU baseball hat. Upon observing my hat, the conversation usually starts out with something negative about Pelini. It is my belief that if he does not win a conference championship or a national title very soon, he will be kicking rocks down the road. He may well be a very reserved, nice, quality person in his private life, but his NU spot light image is not good on the national register of perceptions. Recruiting is what college football is all about. If his image is as most see it, he will continue to have a hard time getting the "difference makers" to attend NU. Thus, he has written his own epitaph.

General national perception of Bo perpetuated by the media != recruits and parents' perception of Bo. I know it can easily seem like that's the case, but it's not. We're recruiting at a quality, solid level and getting in the door with some top shelf talent. And that's all we need; to get in the door.

His greatest strength as a recruiter is his in-home visits, and his impact and respect garnered by parents. Every time.

General national perception of Bo perpetuated by the media != recruits and parents' perception of Bo. I know it can easily seem like that's the case, but it's not. We're recruiting at a quality, solid level and getting in the door with some top shelf talent. And that's all we need; to get in the door.

His greatest strength as a recruiter is his in-home visits, and his impact and respect garnered by parents. Every time.

I will have to respectifully disagree with that part of your statement. If he was recrutiing at that level, we wouldn't have the holes that we do on this team. Espically on the defensive side of the ball, which is inexcuesable with the "defensive genius" reputation he had upon his arrival here. All he has proven is that he can win with other coaches players and that he can't recuit to a level that keeps NU competive in every game on the schedule.

I will have to respectifully disagree with that part of your statement. If he was recrutiing at that level, we wouldn't have the holes that we do on this team. Espically on the defensive side of the ball, which is inexcuesable with the "defensive genius" reputation he had upon his arrival here. All he has proven is that he can win with other coaches players and that he can't recuit to a level that keeps NU competive in every game on the schedule.

We have those holes because we WEREN'T recruiting well. As in, in the past. Present-tense is an entirely different story.

Again. And this is broken record in regards to my past mindset. If a top talent and his mother and/or father are going to let an obviously biased media (not just in regards to Bo, BUT IN EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE) and its perception of Bo dictate their decision, and not actual time spent with the man, which has been proven over and over to be a positive experience, then whoever does get them, can have 'em. I dont want that brat in our program, because they obviously dont have the mind and heart to be a Husker anyway.

Bo has not cast a long net. He lost his cool a couple times and ESPN picked his name out of the bag to rag on because he aint cheated his way to a god damn crystal football yet. Anyone who matters knows full well that Bo is improving and he's doing it right.

This statement is true. The last two classes have been drastically improved over the previous. Now, the recruiting gurus cant have it both ways. You cant say Bo sucks at recruiting because his first few classes were ranked low and now that he's landed a bunch of higher ranked talent spin that it doesnt matter that he still sucks at recruiting. Not trying to say that's exactly what youre saying AFHusker, but I get this tone from a lot of folks that did nothing but bitch about the lack of star power in Bo's first few classes, but now in these last two classes (face it, the 2012 class wouldve been a top 15 class if we'd a had the numbers of the 2013 class) with the higher ranked talent all I get is "yeah, but.....". Well yeah but what. You wanted higher ranked classes and players. What's your excuse now?

Bo was-and still is-a defensive genius when he got here. Not a recruiting genius. Those are completely difference ends of the spectrum. Bo can get it done with talent. We've been proven that. Even Nick Jesus Jr. Saban had to go to Alabama where he had unlimited resources to gain the talent necessary to make him look like a god.

Saben has done pretty well where ever he has gone in college. I think he also won a MNC at LSU.

Recruiting is getting in the door. No access no sale. Bo's image is Bo's, no one else to blame. He did the things shown on TV. Makes no difference what others have done or will do. He has to deal with it. Has it hurt him? I would say a lot on the recruiting scene. Is he doing better now than in the past. Who knows, we have not seen the results form the most recent classes truly.

The main thing that I see, is that he is trying to correct his image. He is trying to correct the outbursts. He is trying to be less abrasive to the sideline officials. He is making the effort. He is learning. When you refuse to learn, only do things your way, very seldom does it turn out well. He has had numerous sit downs with higher authority, and it has always been quite obvious that it happened. He is a smart man, but he has to overcome the image that he carries nation wide. We need those 5 star kids to consider Nebraska, for what ever reason, whether they come here or not. We need positives from that level of recruit. So it is important how he is looked at. If it wasn't, if it truly did not matter, you would not see the efforts he has made.

I don't care who you think perpetuated it. Bo Pelini, and Bo Pelini alone, is responsible for his actions. It is right there, front and center. Ever watch his post game interviews? How about the way he treats the press. Granted, they ask some really stupid questions, but they have a job to do. And, we are not recruiting quality players. I don't know what brand of beer you drink, but if that is your mind set, change. I was not a big fan of Callahan. However, look at the kids he recruited. His problem was his support staff, namely Cosgrove. Pelini has a somewhat the same problem. Finding good talented players is one thing, having the staff to develop them into round one draft picks is another dimension altogether. All in all, I believe the short walk from Pelini's office to kicking rocks down the road is not long at all. JMO!

I don't care who you think perpetuated it. Bo Pelini, and Bo Pelini alone, is responsible for his actions. It is right there, front and center. Ever watch his post game interviews? How about the way he treats the press. Granted, they ask some really stupid questions, but they have a job to do. And, we are not recruiting quality players. I don't know what brand of beer you drink, but if that is your mind set, change. I was not a big fan of Callahan. However, look at the kids he recruited. His problem was his support staff, namely Cosgrove. Pelini has a somewhat the same problem. Finding good talented players is one thing, having the staff to develop them into round one draft picks is another dimension altogether. All in all, I believe the short walk from Pelini's office to kicking rocks down the road is not long at all. JMO!

What is not quality about the higher touted players of the last two classes?

So Bo cant develop players either?

Make this clear now. I wanna get it right. Are you saying he cant develop?

By the way. Bo wont be kicking rocks down the road. He'll be rollin in private charter to his interview for his next job while he's countin his 5 million $ buyout.

Saben has done pretty well where ever he has gone in college. I think he also won a MNC at LSU.

Recruiting is getting in the door. No access no sale. Bo's image is Bo's, no one else to blame. He did the things shown on TV. Makes no difference what others have done or will do. He has to deal with it. Has it hurt him? I would say a lot on the recruiting scene. Is he doing better now than in the past. Who knows, we have not seen the results form the most recent classes truly.

The main thing that I see, is that he is trying to correct his image. He is trying to correct the outbursts. He is trying to be less abrasive to the sideline officials. He is making the effort. He is learning. When you refuse to learn, only do things your way, very seldom does it turn out well. He has had numerous sit downs with higher authority, and it has always been quite obvious that it happened. He is a smart man, but he has to overcome the image that he carries nation wide. We need those 5 star kids to consider Nebraska, for what ever reason, whether they come here or not. We need positives from that level of recruit. So it is important how he is looked at. If it wasn't, if it truly did not matter, you would not see the efforts he has made.

Not Michigan St.....

By the way. Bo wont be kicking rocks down the road. He'll be rollin in private charter to his interview for his next job while he's countin his 5 million $ buyout.

I seriously do not think Bo can develop players. Look at the quality of our defense las year. Linebackers? We did not have any. Defensive line, we did not have one. Remember back during the glory years when kids walked on at NU, worked on the scout team, spent hours working their rear ends off in the weight room, just to get a chance to play their junior year? That is how one develops depth and players. He does not have the quality staff around him to do that. When Papuchis was elevated to defensive coordinator, it exposed Pelini's inability to construct a competent developmental program. In 2004, Papuchis was an intern. Eight years later he is the defensive coordinator for one of the more storied defensive programs in college football history, the NU Blackshirts? Are you kidding me?

Pelini may be flying out on a jet counting his buyout money but that still does not make him a great coach. That is simply a result of his agent and legal wizards. His salary is dictated by the ridiculous salaries of other big time programs.

I seriously do not think Bo can develop players. Look at the quality of our defense las year. Linebackers? We did not have any. Defensive line, we did not have one. Remember back during the glory years when kids walked on at NU, worked on the scout team, spent hours working their rear ends off in the weight room, just to get a chance to play their junior year? That is how one develops depth and players. He does not have the quality staff around him to do that. When Papuchis was elevated to defensive coordinator, it exposed Pelini's inability to construct a competent developmental program. In 2004, Papuchis was an intern. Eight years later he is the defensive coordinator for one of the more storied defensive programs in college football history, the NU Blackshirts? Are you kidding me?

Pelini may be flying out on a jet counting his buyout money but that still does not make him a great coach. That is simply a result of his agent and legal wizards. His salary is dictated by the ridiculous salaries of other big time programs.

I stopped after your first sentence. It's ludicrous. It's not a development issue. It's a recruiting/talent issue. You dont pay much attention to anything outside of gameday do you? Suh? Bo did that. Prince Amukamara? He was a frickin WR when Bo got here. Dennard? That's one of Bo's recruits. Rex? The same. Crick? Hagg? Gomes? O'hanlon? Turner? Allen? LAVONTE DAVID? Taylor Martinez? Kenny Bell? SPENCER LONG?

Yeah. Youre right. Even given talent like any other coach, Bo can't develop sh#t.

Even the great coaches have to have the talent to start with. Bo has not had that the last couple years. His recruiting has improved. That is fact. You cant make chicken salad out of chicken sh#t.

As far as Nick Saban goes....

His time at Michigan St was a borderline failer. 1 9-win season in 5 (since that seems to be the judging point of which Bo is deemed such a failure in comparison), and that was Nicks 2nd HC job. He tucks tail to the SEC where it's easier to nab top notch talent (it is, dont kid yourself) and all a suddent he's winnin championships. Odd how that happens when you have elite talent at your disposal. But it's Nick cant develop players either :rolleyes:

EDIT: Ok, I read the rest out of curiousity. This is not 1995 and it's never gonna be again. It's gonna take time to restore what he had as far as intangibles go within this program. Why cant some understand that it doesnt happen overnight. It's not that the kids are not being developed, it's that everyone else is developing them just as well. We dont have the 3-steps-above-the-rest S&C and psychological programs anymore that gave us that edge with walk-ons. Good grief, why is this so hard to grasp? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. It's the same old "back in the 90's yeeda yoo"

Lastly. Winning cures all. It's an ugly fact of life. When Bo finally wins something of substance, all the Bo haters will lining up behind us Bo lovers to kiss his toes just the same.