Ranking Big 10 coaches - Bo # 7

Using you more as an example for all of the other posters that think its okay to say moronic things.

Again, I didn't say the moronic thing you said I said. So you're using a made-up moronic argument, crediting me for it (for whatever reason), and using that as an example for all of the other posters that think it's okay to say moronic things.

I think it's because you secretly love me.

I suppose exaggerations and sarcasm doesn't transfer well online. Let me rephrase:

You are part of the anti-Bo crowd. It's easy to see. We had this conversation in rumorville several months ago. Some of the posts that you put out there make it sound like you want us to believe that Bo is the worst coach to ever live. You notice how nowhere in that post did I ever say those are your direct quotes??? Within the context of your posts, we can usually conclude that you don't like him. With your anti-Bo agenda and a lot of other people's, comes a lot of double standards I have pointed out and you have admitted to.

Quit with the hyperbole already. I've said in this very thread I'd put him above Andersen (and obviously I think highly of Andersen as a coach), said he has a lot of upside, and credited him for winning a lot of regular season games. And for the record I think he's the 5th best coach in the Big Ten right now, hardly the worstest coach of all time. Not that you bothered asking, for whatever reason you'd rather make up your own narrative on what I think of Bo.

I've complimented him on his improved recruiting, I thought his Bernie was the bees knees, and called him one of the more entertaining coaches to watch on the sideline while dismissing the criticisms about his sideline demeanor.

All part of my super secret anti-Bo agenda. Whatever that means.

• Fire 1

Lets agree on this then. Anderson has inherited a program that has been to 3 straight Rose Bowls and is in far better shape than the one Bo took over. He will be held to the same standard. This is a guy who rightfully shouldn't have low expectations like Bo's first year. Revisiting the original purpose of the thread, who would you put 1-4 and why?

Lets agree on this then. Anderson has inherited a program that has been to 3 straight Rose Bowls and is in far better shape than the one Bo took over. He will be held to the same standard. This is a guy who rightfully shouldn't have low expectations like Bo's first year. Revisiting the original purpose of the thread, who would you put 1-4 and why?

Agreed. At least 7 regular season wins and placing at least 3rd in the division seems to be a perfectly reasonable expectation for Wisconsin this year.

1. Urban Meyer - This is universally agreed upon, yes? His resume speaks for itself. One of the truly elite coaches in college football. If he's not on a list of coaches who have won X number of games per year for Y number of years, well that tells us pretty much everything we need to know about that arbitrary statistic.

2. Brady Hoke - BCS bowl winner, numerous deserved Coach of the Year awards, has been relatively successful at all his coaching stops. Has already gone further at Michigan than Pelini has at Nebraska. Teams show up prepared to play week in and week out. Only real blowout loss at Michigan was against Alabama.

3. Pat Fitzgerald - At a bottom-feeder program but doesn't run a bottom-feeder team. Coaches a team that's usually smaller, slower, and weaker than their opponents but can go toe-to-toe with the big boys most any week because he has them prepared to.

4. Mark Dantonio - Resume comparable to Pelini's. Pelini has the better winning percentage and head-to-head advantage, Dantonio has the conference title and 11-win seasons. He and Pelini are pretty much interchangeable, but I'm giving Dantonio the nod because his teams are usually better prepared. Not as susceptible to blowout losses.

5. Bo Pelini - Good winning percentage. Has won X number of games per year for Y number of years. 3 CCG participation trophies. 0-5 in postseason games over the last 3 years - I wonder how many coaches are on that list.

6-12. Argue amongst yourselves.

Agreed. At least 7 regular season wins and placing at least 3rd in the division seems to be a perfectly reasonable expectation for Wisconsin this year.

1. Urban Meyer - This is universally agreed upon, yes? His resume speaks for itself. One of the truly elite coaches in college football. If he's not on a list of coaches who have won X number of games per year for Y number of years, well that tells us pretty much everything we need to know about that arbitrary statistic.

2. Brady Hoke - BCS bowl winner, numerous deserved Coach of the Year awards, has been relatively successful at all his coaching stops. Has already gone further at Michigan than Pelini has at Nebraska. Teams show up prepared to play week in and week out. Only real blowout loss at Michigan was against Alabama.

3. Pat Fitzgerald - At a bottom-feeder program but doesn't run a bottom-feeder team. Coaches a team that's usually smaller, slower, and weaker than their opponents but can go toe-to-toe with the big boys most any week because he has them prepared to.

4. Mark Dantonio - Resume comparable to Pelini's. Pelini has the better winning percentage and head-to-head advantage, Dantonio has the conference title and 11-win seasons. He and Pelini are pretty much interchangeable, but I'm giving Dantonio the nod because his teams are usually better prepared. Not as susceptible to blowout losses.

5. Bo Pelini - Good winning percentage. Has won X number of games per year for Y number of years. 3 CCG participation trophies. 0-5 in postseason games over the last 3 years - I wonder how many coaches are on that list.

6-12. Argue amongst yourselves.

Why can 6-12 be argued but 2-5 can't? What has Fitzgerald accomplished, other than an incalculable and fairly arbitrary "more with less" accomplishment? Hoke backdoored into a BCS bowl, sure, but also hasn't won his division and hasn't shown consistency over his short two years, and you said it yourself, Dantonio and Pelini are pretty close, with each having different edges over the other.

Don't get me started on Michigan's 2011 season and that "BCS win."

Do you wish the 2012 Huskers would have gone 6-2 in conference, not won their division, and backed into a BCS Bowl against an ACC team?

I'll take winning the division, going to the championship game, and competing with an elite SEC team in a bowl. What the hell is a BCS bowl anyway? If you're not first, your last.

Don't get me started on Michigan's 2011 season and that "BCS win."

Do you wish the 2012 Huskers would have gone 6-2 in conference, not won their division, and backed into a BCS Bowl against an ACC team?

I'll take winning the division, going to the championship game, and competing with an elite SEC team in a bowl. What the hell is a BCS bowl anyway? If you're not first, your last.

i feel that, in the scenario you provided between mich. and nu., either way we are last.

I have to disagree with the Hoke assesment as well. Let's be honest. If the BCS wouldve done what it shouldve in 2011 (obviously debateable of course) and put Ok St in the NC game, Hoke may have been on the hot seat at this point already. It would not have been a BCS bowl in 2011. It wouldve been the Cap One or Outback bowl against and SEC team that woulda, well, you know.

No, he as not won his division yet and him and Bo have split the head to heads.

Who puts together this team of players who are completely unable to tackle any and all opposing players on an 8-5 team they had defeated a couple months earlier?

How does a head coach brought in for his defensive genius surround himself with less talented and mistake-prone players in his fifth season?

I watched the whole game, chief. I watched the whole UCLA game and Ohio State game, too. Like most Husker fans, I don't miss the big games when the Huskers have put themselves in position to be meaningful again.

When offense, defense and special teams all go out in the same big game and suddenly get the yips, failing at the most simple executions and acting like spectators at their own 31 - 70 thrashing, that goes to the head coach. And Bo Pelini knows that. Less talented teams beat more talented teams all the time. Part of it is strategy and execution, but it's mostly getting a team's head in the game. That's what head coaches do.

I don't hate Bo. I don't love him, either. My money is on the Huskers showing improvement this year and Bo being safe for another three seasons.

But it's pretty silly to keep making these excuses for him.

Bo got out-coached against Wisconsin and UCLA. And a couple games he just got lucky. But there was some scrap to the Huskers last year, and I don't mind him getting credit for that.

We were pretty lucky to have beaten Wisconsin the first time around. It think we can all admit that. Let alone we were lucky to have had the record we did.

Wisconsin had WAY more talent on the field than we did. Our offense was more talented than they were, but our defense didn't even compare to theirs. They were able to make stops, while our guys couldn't tackle, and make the correct cuts, whatsoever.

How Bo surrounded himself with the lack of talent, was starting from scratch with recruiting and working his way up. Making a name for himself and showing kids the style of football we will be playing. This year will be the year that we can judge, on what Bo can do with talent. Mistakes are going to be made, but the pure athleticism of this group should put us in a WAY better position than we were last year, defensively.

Call them excuses, but I see them as reasons.

We were pretty lucky to have beaten Wisconsin the first time around. It think we can all admit that. Let alone we were lucky to have had the record we did.

Luck has nothing to do with it; in fact, luck doesn't even exist. There's no such thing.

We won those football games because we were the better team on the nights that we played them. That's it. We should have won them because we did win them, and we could have lost them but we didn't. We won. We deserved to win.

I think Bo's lack of recruiting his first couple years is due mostly to just putting too much focus on the other things. Most important things like restoring some sort of self-pride in the program. Getting the '08 defense to play at a halfway respectable manner. Then when he finally does establish some niches in recruiting, style of play, and roster management based on that style, BAM, we change conferences on his ass and send him through the Big 10 gauntlet the first two seasons.

Most days, I feel like we are lucky to even be as good as we've been the last two seasons.

On my phone right now. Don't have time for a lengthy response, but to if Dantonio was better don't you think he would have beaten him once?

depends on if you're arguing which has had the better team, or which is the better coach? I thought we were talking coaching here... - flip Dantonio with Bo, and Dantonio is winning 9-10 games every year too

On my phone right now. Don't have time for a lengthy response, but to if Dantonio was better don't you think he would have beaten him once?

depends on if you're arguing which has had the better team, or which is the better coach? I thought we were talking coaching here... - flip Dantonio with Bo, and Dantonio is winning 9-10 games every year too

If Bo has Sims, Gholston, and Bell, he doesn't lose to Iowa at home.

Except that he hasn't. Half of the time he hasn't.