Ranking Big 10 coaches - Bo # 7

Recruiting rankings say that other than last year, we've recruited well outside the top 25, and yet, we've finished in the top 25 every year. Those are facts, not opinions.

2008 - #30

2009 - #28

2010 - #22

2011 - #15

2012 - #25

2013 - #17

:lol:

It was an average between the services (Scout, Rivals, Max Preps, ESPN, 247, etc...).

I'll see if I can find the original link.

This one?

Screen-Shot-2013-01-23-at-10.55.35-AM.png

http://hailvarsity.c...ings-1987-2012/

1. We're not consistently recruiting "well outside the top 25."

2. If recruiting rankings are a reasonably accurate indicator of talent than Pelini isn't really getting more or less out of the kids that he has recruited. The end of season rankings seem roughly in line with the talent that Pelini brings in.

So, going back to the original post, do you agree wt Bo's # 7 rank? Is his rank consistent wt the type of recruits he is bringing in?

I get what you are trying to say, however I am pointing out the countless double standards used by many on this board. Not necessarily you specifically, but right now you are using the environment at Utah St as an excuse for Anderson. As reasonable as it is, when posters like me point out the disadvantage of our location as it pertains to recruiting it isn't even taken into account. So if you are going to allow Anderson slack because of this, you should also allow slack for two JUCO DTs that you specifically dubbed as "whiffs by the staff" that chose to stay close to home to play football when everything in the staffs power was done to get them in red. So again, why is Anderson allowed slack for his obvious disadvantages but Bo isn't?

Also, in no way is going 11-2 in that conference in a year they played against 3 BCS teams and went 1-2 in more impressive than a year NU lost two BIG games against an Urban Meyer led team and one that we had to play twice. I'm not claiming Anderson is a chump, but get your anti-Bo glasses off before you make any stupid claims.

Utah State didn't get embarrassed and out-coached in either of their losses. And yeah, there is a double standard. We have different standards at Nebraska, and Bo isn't meeting them. . . yet. There are recruiting disadvantages, I've acknowledged them, but they're obviously not impossible to overcome. We're a talented enough team to not lose to Ohio State and Wisconsin by 30-40 points. We lost those games in embarrassing fashion not because of our recruiting disadvantages, but because of our coaching disadvantage. We also continue to allow lousy teams to hang with us, and sometimes beat us, year after year because teams with even less advantages than us have better coaches.

Just wanna get that on record now . The Dude acknowledges the double standard.

Look, does Bo have a ways to go?? Yes. It would be wrong to say he doesn't. But fortunately for us and unfortunately for your unobjective standpoint, he is not the worst coach to ever foul the earth. He was only really out-coached twice last year. Losing on the road to a good UCLA team by one possession without your best player really isn't getting out-coached. Georgia game I really would t say we were out-coached. Ameer holds the ball and I would lean towards Bo having the advantage over Richt in that game.

It's like you're arguing just for the sake of arguing. I've never, ever, said he was the worst coach to foul the earth. Bill Callahan is.

I agree with the Georgia game. Did they even run one jet sweep? It's like they didn't even watch the Wisconsin film.

I get what you are trying to say, however I am pointing out the countless double standards used by many on this board. Not necessarily you specifically, but right now you are using the environment at Utah St as an excuse for Anderson. As reasonable as it is, when posters like me point out the disadvantage of our location as it pertains to recruiting it isn't even taken into account. So if you are going to allow Anderson slack because of this, you should also allow slack for two JUCO DTs that you specifically dubbed as "whiffs by the staff" that chose to stay close to home to play football when everything in the staffs power was done to get them in red. So again, why is Anderson allowed slack for his obvious disadvantages but Bo isn't?

Also, in no way is going 11-2 in that conference in a year they played against 3 BCS teams and went 1-2 in more impressive than a year NU lost two BIG games against an Urban Meyer led team and one that we had to play twice. I'm not claiming Anderson is a chump, but get your anti-Bo glasses off before you make any stupid claims.

Utah State didn't get embarrassed and out-coached in either of their losses. And yeah, there is a double standard. We have different standards at Nebraska, and Bo isn't meeting them. . . yet. There are recruiting disadvantages, I've acknowledged them, but they're obviously not impossible to overcome. We're a talented enough team to not lose to Ohio State and Wisconsin by 30-40 points. We lost those games in embarrassing fashion not because of our recruiting disadvantages, but because of our coaching disadvantage. We also continue to allow lousy teams to hang with us, and sometimes beat us, year after year because teams with even less advantages than us have better coaches.

Look, does Bo have a ways to go?? Yes. It would be wrong to say he doesn't. But fortunately for us and unfortunately for your unobjective standpoint, he is not the worst coach to ever foul the earth. He was only really out-coached twice last year. Losing on the road to a good UCLA team by one possession without your best player really isn't getting out-coached. Georgia game I really would t say we were out-coached. Ameer holds the ball and I would lean towards Bo having the advantage over Richt in that game.

It's like you're arguing just for the sake of arguing. I've never, ever, said he was the worst coach to foul the earth. Bill Callahan is.

I agree with the Georgia game. Did they even run one jet sweep? It's like they didn't even watch the Wisconsin film.

Using you more as an example for all of the other posters that think its okay to say moronic things.

The deal in the Georgia game was that Damian Stafford decided to not be the worst safety I've ever seen and make tackles. Damian had the worst game out of any safety in the Wisconsin game than any other safety since Bo has been here. I feel very confident saying that.

Using you more as an example for all of the other posters that think its okay to say moronic things.

The deal in the Georgia game was that Damian Stafford decided to not be the worst safety I've ever seen and make tackles. Damian had the worst game out of any safety in the Wisconsin game than any other safety since Bo has been here. I feel very confident saying that.

It was so painful to watch, please don't remind me.

So, going back to the original post, do you agree wt Bo's # 7 rank? Is his rank consistent wt the type of recruits he is bringing in?

Bo should be #5.

Bo Pelini's record will roughly reflect his recruiting results. If he can get elite talent he will probably field an elite defense. Getting that talent seems to be the obstacle.

Bo should be #5.

Bo Pelini's record will roughly reflect his recruiting results. If he can get elite talent he will probably field an elite defense. Getting that talent seems to be the obstacle.

I believe the potential to be elite is there. For example, Valentine is probably the DT with the most potential that Bo has ever signed. But right now, potential doesn't mean sh#t.

I believe the potential to be elite is there. For example, Valentine is probably the DT with the most potential that Bo has ever signed. But right now, potential doesn't mean sh#t.

Could be and I hope that you're right. I'm firmly in the doubt column at this point but that doesn't mean that I'm rooting for Bo to fail.

I just want the Huskers to win.

Could be and I hope that you're right. I'm firmly in the doubt column at this point but that doesn't mean that I'm rooting for Bo to fail.

I just want the Huskers to win.

i just want my kids back.

If it's not so special why don't more coaches win 9 games every year? It can't be too easy if you can count the # of coaches who have done it over the past 5 years on one hand.

Every year 20-30 or more coaches win 9 games. Bo has been consistent in that, but lots of coaches win 9. It's not a number that is difficult to reach. The fact that Bo is the only one of that handful that doesn't have a championship or a meaninful win to go w/ his 9 could mean that he's failed to take the risk required to get over the hump. Plenty of companies can maintain the status quo and grow at 2-3% a year. But the great ones will take a risk to exceed that. Saban did it in 2010 building the foundation on that defense for his 2011, 2012 titles.

If it'sso easy why didn't michigan do it last year with a fairly favorable schedule instead of losing to every team that would be considered a tossup game?

If we had lost Taylor Martinez in the middle of the season last year, would we have won as many games as we did? They were within 5 points of an tOSU team that blew us out of he water, and 5 points of beating a USC team that drilled us the prior year.

If it's so easy why didn't the "great" Urban Meyer do it his last year at Florida with a cakewalk nonconference schedule, a bowl game against a weak Penn State team and games against 4 of the bottom 5 teams in the conference instead of losing to a 5-7 Missisppi State team at home during homecoming and get completely blown out in 3 of his other 4 losses?

They played the #1, #12, #22, #22 teams and lost all 4. Based on Bo's history, he would have lost 3 or 4 of those as well...including a game to a team we should have beat (Miss. State?). When a good chunk of the 2 deep late in the season are freshman this is what happens. If we didn't have a senior laden offense to back up our young defense this year, we'd likely see what 8-5 feels like too.

If it's so easy why didn't Nick Saban do it at Alabama in 2007 instead of losing at home to a 6 win Louisiana-Monroe team that got blown out by Tulsa and Troy and needed OT to beat Florida Atlantic

No idea here - but none of the losses were by more than a score, and he did come back w/ an undefeated regular season in 2008, w/ a top 10 ranking...why can't Bo rebound from 4 losses if it is so easy for Saban to do it after 6?

If it's so easy why didn't Bob Stoops do it at Oklahoma in 2009 with multiple high first round picks on the roster instead of going 8-5 with losses to BYU and a Miami team that the week before got anhialated 31-7 by Virginia Tech. (the same Virginia Tech that the week before playing Miami needed a last second miracle to beat Nebraska.

Again, if our Heisman candidate QB goes down in game one...don't expect the Huskers to be winning 9.

If it's so easy why doesn't Texas do it every year with the easist recruiting job in the nation and some very soft nonconference schedulesro

The did do it every year...for 12 years in a row. Every team eventually his a point where they have to rebuild. Even rebuilding - they owned Bo & Co.

Know why? Because it's not easy. It's kinda hard to win 9 games every year.

If it's not so special why don't more coaches win 9 games every year? It can't be too easy if you can count the # of coaches who have done it over the past 5 years on one hand.

Every year 20-30 or more coaches win 9 games. Bo has been consistent in that, but lots of coaches win 9. It's not a number that is difficult to reach. The fact that Bo is the only one of that handful that doesn't have a championship or a meaninful win to go w/ his 9 could mean that he's failed to take the risk required to get over the hump. Plenty of companies can maintain the status quo and grow at 2-3% a year. But the great ones will take a risk to exceed that. Saban did it in 2010 building the foundation on that defense for his 2011, 2012 titles.

If it'sso easy why didn't michigan do it last year with a fairly favorable schedule instead of losing to every team that would be considered a tossup game?

If we had lost Taylor Martinez in the middle of the season last year, would we have won as many games as we did? They were within 5 points of an tOSU team that blew us out of he water, and 5 points of beating a USC team that drilled us the prior year.

If it's so easy why didn't the "great" Urban Meyer do it his last year at Florida with a cakewalk nonconference schedule, a bowl game against a weak Penn State team and games against 4 of the bottom 5 teams in the conference instead of losing to a 5-7 Missisppi State team at home during homecoming and get completely blown out in 3 of his other 4 losses?

They played the #1, #12, #22, #22 teams and lost all 4. Based on Bo's history, he would have lost 3 or 4 of those as well...including a game to a team we should have beat (Miss. State?). When a good chunk of the 2 deep late in the season are freshman this is what happens. If we didn't have a senior laden offense to back up our young defense this year, we'd likely see what 8-5 feels like too.

If it's so easy why didn't Nick Saban do it at Alabama in 2007 instead of losing at home to a 6 win Louisiana-Monroe team that got blown out by Tulsa and Troy and needed OT to beat Florida Atlantic

No idea here - but none of the losses were by more than a score, and he did come back w/ an undefeated regular season in 2008, w/ a top 10 ranking...why can't Bo rebound from 4 losses if it is so easy for Saban to do it after 6?

If it's so easy why didn't Bob Stoops do it at Oklahoma in 2009 with multiple high first round picks on the roster instead of going 8-5 with losses to BYU and a Miami team that the week before got anhialated 31-7 by Virginia Tech. (the same Virginia Tech that the week before playing Miami needed a last second miracle to beat Nebraska.

Again, if our Heisman candidate QB goes down in game one...don't expect the Huskers to be winning 9.

If it's so easy why doesn't Texas do it every year with the easist recruiting job in the nation and some very soft nonconference schedulesro

The did do it every year...for 12 years in a row. Every team eventually his a point where they have to rebuild. Even rebuilding - they owned Bo & Co.

8zlf1i.gif

These are the double standards I am referring to. I am not saying that Kc_Husker says the following, but how many times have we heard:

1) injuries can't be used as an excuse

2) A lot of teams play with back ups and freshman

3) They found a way to win the game is all the matters

4) A tough schedule can't be used as an excuse

What I see above are a ton of excuses given by Kc_Husker for other coaches. If we

can use the above excuses for other coaches why is Bo held to a standard that surpasses perfection?

On an unrelated note, so 20-30 teams win nine or more? Well there are 120 teams??? So we are in the top 30% at the very least.

b

On an unrelated note, so 20-30 teams win nine or more? Well there are 120 teams??? So we are in the top 30% at the very least.

If you want to include Marshall, Fresno, Nevada, Louisianna-Laff, UCF, Ark State, San Jose State, Tulsa, Lousiana-Monro, Ball State, Kent State, SD State, Rice, Duke, Toledo, East Carolina, Troy, SMU, Western Michigan, UTSA, Central Michigan, Texas State, UAB, Western KY, Air Force, Middle Tenn, Akron, New Mexico, Navy, Florida International, Temple, Memphis, Army, Miami (Oh), Bowling Green, UNLV, Tulane, Eastern Michigan, Buffalo, Co St, UTEP, Hawaii, North Texas, South Florida, Florida Atlantic, Maryland, Souther Miss, New Mexico State, South Alabama, Wake, Kansas, Kentucky, Mass, etc, etc, etc....

...as PEERs of ours...then yeah, we're in the top 30%. Yay us! Helps when you throw all that garbage into the sample....

These are the double standards I am referring to. I am not saying that Kc_Husker says the following, but how many times have we heard:

1) injuries can't be used as an excuse

2) A lot of teams play with back ups and freshman

3) They found a way to win the game is all the matters

4) A tough schedule can't be used as an excuse

What I see above are a ton of excuses given by Kc_Husker for other coaches. If we

can use the above excuses for other coaches why is Bo held to a standard that surpasses perfection?

If we are in the top 30% every year for five years, then during that stretch, we are in the top 0.24%, based on the law of statistics.

If you want to include Marshall, Fresno, Nevada, Louisianna-Laff, UCF, Ark State, San Jose State, Tulsa, Lousiana-Monro, Ball State, Kent State, SD State, Rice, Duke, Toledo, East Carolina, Troy, SMU, Western Michigan, UTSA, Central Michigan, Texas State, UAB, Western KY, Air Force, Middle Tenn, Akron, New Mexico, Navy, Florida International, Temple, Memphis, Army, Miami (Oh), Bowling Green, UNLV, Tulane, Eastern Michigan, Buffalo, Co St, UTEP, Hawaii, North Texas, South Florida, Florida Atlantic, Maryland, Souther Miss, New Mexico State, South Alabama, Wake, Kansas, Kentucky, Mass, etc, etc, etc....

...as PEERs of ours...then yeah, we're in the top 30%. Yay us! Helps when you throw all that garbage into the sample....

Respond to the rest of the post. Or do you know you've been owned and you are dodging it???