Golf Club Recommendations?

A follow-up to the "fat putter grip", Dufner was a terrible putter 2 years ago, switched to the fat grip last year and it helped a ton. This year, his putting has been pretty bad. Even in the PGA Championship, he won that due to his amazing ball striking. He made some bad strokes at times on the weekends. Also, Furyk has tried so many putters the past few years and they all seem to be temporary fixes.

I think most good putters are born with good touch, feel, and can read the greens well.

The one area that my friends say I'm better than them in is putting. I personally think it is because of my attitude towards it. First off...I love putting. Second, I believe it is 95% mental and 5% equipment. I very VERY seldom three put a green and many times I'm sinking decently long putts or leaving them just for a tap in.

Up until last year, I was still using a $12 putter I got from Walmart when I was high school. I changed just simply because I thought after 27 years I deserved a new putter. I got a snake eyes putter that was made by a local guy and spent $75 on it and love it.

BUT, I still claim that there is WAY too much made about which putter you are using and what grip it has...bla bla bla.....Work on technique and actually practice it. Get a preshot routine that greatly improves your odds of hitting it in the right direction and develop your touch. When you get out of your mind that it's the putter and not YOU then your mentality about it changes and you can focus actually on things that make you better.

PS...as for length of putter. 33", 34"...35"....doesn't matter to me. I choke down on the putter so my pointing finger is right at the bottom of the grip so that I am absolutely in the same position every time. It doesn't matter if it's one inch either way as long as I'm consistent.

A follow-up to the "fat putter grip", Dufner was a terrible putter 2 years ago, switched to the fat grip last year and it helped a ton. This year, his putting has been pretty bad. Even in the PGA Championship, he won that due to his amazing ball striking. He made some bad strokes at times on the weekends. Also, Furyk has tried so many putters the past few years and they all seem to be temporary fixes.

I think most good putters are born with good touch, feel, and can read the greens well.

The one area that my friends say I'm better than them in is putting. I personally think it is because of my attitude towards it. First off...I love putting. Second, I believe it is 95% mental and 5% equipment. I very VERY seldom three put a green and many times I'm sinking decently long putts or leaving them just for a tap in.

Up until last year, I was still using a $12 putter I got from Walmart when I was high school. I changed just simply because I thought after 27 years I deserved a new putter. I got a snake eyes putter that was made by a local guy and spent $75 on it and love it.

BUT, I still claim that there is WAY too much made about which putter you are using and what grip it has...bla bla bla.....Work on technique and actually practice it. Get a preshot routine that greatly improves your odds of hitting it in the right direction and develop your touch. When you get out of your mind that it's the putter and not YOU then your mentality about it changes and you can focus actually on things that make you better.

PS...as for length of putter. 33", 34"...35"....doesn't matter to me. I choke down on the putter so my pointing finger is right at the bottom of the grip so that I am absolutely in the same position every time. It doesn't matter if it's one inch either way as long as I'm consistent.

I used to choke down on the putter, as well. But when I went to a shorter putter, I actually had a better stroke. I agree 100% with the pre-shot/putt routine. I have been doing the same thing during putting for the last few years, and I have good success with it. I don't 3-putt very often and do a good job with the 5-10 footers. Of course, I went out with TeacherCD earlier this summer and I had 4 three-putts in a row on the front 9. It was ugly, I just couldn't get the speed right on the greens. I was leaving 20 foot putts like 6 feet short.

Early season putting is tough for me because I need to regain my touch. My biggest problem right now is that I will leave long puts 2" short. Last time I was out, I shot a 45 which isn't bad but I can do a lot better. I swear I left at least 4-5 long puts 2" short of the hole. Dead nuts right on line and it stops just short. I gotta improve my touch a little more so that if I miss, it's 12" past..

90% of golf is mental. The other half is physical.

Early season putting is tough for me because I need to regain my touch. My biggest problem right now is that I will leave long puts 2" short. Last time I was out, I shot a 45 which isn't bad but I can do a lot better. I swear I left at least 4-5 long puts 2" short of the hole. Dead nuts right on line and it stops just short. I gotta improve my touch a little more so that if I miss, it's 12" past..

I have a huge deceleration problem when I putt. I hardly ever get long putts past the hole. I don't mind because on long putts, I am just trying to get it close. But, it is a killer when I have the putt right on line and it ends up 1-2 feet short. I am just so afraid of hitting it 3-4-5 feet past and having a tough come backer.

I have a huge deceleration problem when I putt. I hardly ever get long putts past the hole. I don't mind because on long putts, I am just trying to get it close. But, it is a killer when I have the putt right on line and it ends up 1-2 feet short. I am just so afraid of hitting it 3-4-5 feet past and having a tough come backer.

This is a problem I have as well. If its not 1 foot short mine usually end up closer to 5-10 ft by. I've worked a lot on trying to get better at this. Can't seem to do it though. Which is why I asked the question about the putter grips.

This is a problem I have as well. If its not 1 foot short mine usually end up closer to 5-10 ft by. I've worked a lot on trying to get better at this. Can't seem to do it though. Which is why I asked the question about the putter grips.

If you have "speed" issues, the putter grips probably won't help you much. The fat, putter grips are designed to take your "hands" out of the putt so your hands don't pull or push putts off-line. When I watched Dufner at the PGA championship, he would generally do really well on lagging the long putts to tap-in range. Where he struggled were with the putts inside 10 feet (more on Saturday, when he seemed to be more nervous).

When I have distance problems, I usually do a lot of one handed putts. I'm right handed so I do one handed putts with my right hand. Put your left behind your back. I do this because I want my right hand to be the dominant hand as far as distance. I want to feel as though the putter in my hand is actually a ball that I am rolling towards the hole. Do a lot of them and you get the feel you need for distance. THEN, when I actually putt, I (very lightly) put my left hand on the grip so that the back of my hand faces directly towards the target. When I putt, my right hand controls the speed and then I concentrate on the back of my left hand going through the ball directly at the target.

Never ever ever ever break your wrists on a putt no matter how far it is.

PS...I agree that the putter grip won't help your speed problems much.

disc-golf-frisbees.jpg

Cheaper and far more fun. That's my recommendation.

Definitely--and less frustrating, too. Except when you throw the disc in a ravine (i.e. the "river" that runs through the good Lincoln course--not the one in the south end of the city), you usually have to go and get it. If I did that with a golf ball, I'd just be like, whatever--it's gone now, two shot penalty.

A lot of people who have speed issues when putting can benefit from a couple things i do. I consider putting a strong part of my game. First thing about longer putts coming up well short. I walk the putt. Meaning walk a line fairly close to the actual line ill putt the ball. By walking a similar line I can get a feel of the contour of the green. On my way back to the ball, ill stop about half way and see what my line would be if the putt was from there. Usually on longer putts you'll power through any slight slope over the first half of the putt so ill pick a spot halfway that I want my ball to be on the 2nd half of the putt. Also remember that the direction of the grain affects the speed of your putts. Rule of thumb is the grain will run towards the sun. Also remember that a 2 ft putt past the whole at least has a chance to go in. The 2 ft putt short misses 100 percent of the time. And I'll be damned if both putts arent the same distance from the hole.

Another thing to pay attention to if your putts are always coming up short. Does the ball hop on you a lot. This is caused by not squaring the ball at impact. If it jumps right off the putter then you are closing down the face angle/hitting down on the ball.

• Fire 1

A lot of people who have speed issues when putting can benefit from a couple things i do. I consider putting a strong part of my game. First thing about longer putts coming up well short. I walk the putt. Meaning walk a line fairly close to the actual line ill putt the ball. By walking a similar line I can get a feel of the contour of the green. On my way back to the ball, ill stop about half way and see what my line would be if the putt was from there. Usually on longer putts you'll power through any slight slope over the first half of the putt so ill pick a spot halfway that I want my ball to be on the 2nd half of the putt. Also remember that the direction of the grain affects the speed of your putts. Rule of thumb is the grain will run towards the sun. Also remember that a 2 ft putt past the whole at least has a chance to go in. The 2 ft putt short misses 100 percent of the time. And I'll be damned if both putts arent the same distance from the hole.

Another thing to pay attention to if your putts are always coming up short. Does the ball hop on you a lot. This is caused by not squaring the ball at impact. If it jumps right off the putter then you are closing down the face angle/hitting down on the ball.

I've test this theory on many occasions. It seems to hold up universally.

• 2 months later...