Defensive Scheme

By problem I meant slow and couldn't tackle. Which is what we are used to all of last year. The blown coverage in the VT game was pretty much par for the course for him until the OU game. But he shoudln't have had a chance to blow an easy coverage if Bo had the balls to go for it on 4th and 1 at the VT 40 when Helu was averaging 6 ypc. Coaching lost that game just as much as Matt's boneheaded fall for a play fake in cover 2 in that situation.

My momma says that happiness come from magic rays of sunshine that come down when you feelin' blue.

you know somebody is going to bring up the VAtech game now...

That'd be pretty unfair. We miss the hell out of Matty, have ever since he left. O'Hanlon and Hagg were totally underrated during their time here, and left big voids.

O'Hanlon was worthless until the OU game. He had a great last half of his Sr. season, but to say anything else is untrue. He was a big problem for most of his career here.

Aside from the VA Tech thing, what are some other examples of O'Hanlon being a big problem?

There you go talking football again. You're gonna get it.

Don't tell anyone. I have a reputation to uphold.

you know somebody is going to bring up the VAtech game now...

That'd be pretty unfair. We miss the hell out of Matty, have ever since he left. O'Hanlon and Hagg were totally underrated during their time here, and left big voids.

O'Hanlon was worthless until the OU game. He had a great last half of his Sr. season, but to say anything else is untrue. He was a big problem for most of his career here.

lol.... just..... lol........

Post-OU his senior year he was our best safety. He wasn't Damian Stafford athletic but he wasn't Brett Maher either. Who was a better safety than him???

I would say Asante, but I can understand if you say O'Hanlon. I don't get the knock on O'Hanlon's athletic ability. He was really fast actually. Way more athletic than Austin Cassidy last year (not that that says a whole lot...).

Back on his infamous play he did manage to run that VTech wr down from far behind. He was far from slow. Plus that play also lies on West, cb can't just let a wr go flying down the sideline.

Maybe Bo's scheme takes two very good DTs to work. Below are the defensive rankings for the past 5 years. In 2008 we had SUH as a lone dominant tackle and had a poor defense. In 2009 we have Suh and Crick and have the best defense in CFB. In 2010 we have Crick and Baker and have a top 10 scoring defense, but without a monster like SUH, the rushing defensive ranking drops to 63rd. In 2011 Crick gets hurt and the defense drops to 42nd in scoring. In 2012 we have no dominate DTs and the results are disastrous.

Year Scoring Rushing Pass Efficiency

2012 58 90 9

2011 42 64 34

2010 9 63 3

2009 1 9 1

2008 79 21 82

Maybe Bo's scheme takes two very good DTs to work. Below are the defensive rankings for the past 5 years. In 2008 we had SUH as a lone dominant tackle and had a poor defense. In 2009 we have Suh and Crick and have the best defense in CFB. In 2010 we have Crick and Baker and have a top 10 scoring defense, but without a monster like SUH, the rushing defensive ranking drops to 63rd. In 2011 Crick gets hurt and the defense drops to 42nd in scoring. In 2012 we have no dominate DTs and the results are disastrous.

2012 58 90 9

2011 42 64 34

2010 9 63 3

2009 1 9 1

2008 79 21 82

Don't get me wrong, Crick was a great compliment to Suh, and he was able to take advantage of Suh being double teamed, but he was never quite able to be the #1 guy very effectively.

2012 58 90 9

2011 42 64 34

2010 9 63 3

2009 1 9 1

2008 79 21 82

Don't get me wrong, Crick was a great compliment to Suh, and he was able to take advantage of Suh being double teamed, but he was never quite able to be the #1 guy very effectively.

For real. Being 8th on the all time list for sacks means he sucked big time. I'd say he proved himself in 2010 to be the #1 guy. 9.5 sacks and 17 tackles for loss ranking him second in the Big 12. 70 total stops, 36 solo...averaged 5 stops per game which was #1 for offensive lineman in the Big 12. Boy this guy sure was horrible. :sarcasm

People forget that Crick was a 280 lb 6'4" heap of a man that recorded a 31 inch vertical. He was EXPLOSIVE. I was a receiver in college and I only had a 36 inch vertical...and I weighed in at 180lbs. It's crazy to me that he was able to post that vertical leap.

People often forget just how good Crick was because he was, right or wrong, overshadowed by the awesomeness that was Suh. In my opinion, he shined as our #1 guy in 2010.

Crick was very good in 2010, but, in 2011, there was just something missing. Obviously he missed half the year, but even the first half, he just didnt seem the same. Dont know if he got a little timid of his draft stock after the injury in 2011 spring ball, but his 2011 performance was far from the Crick that we came to know.

Crick was very good in 2010, but, in 2011, there was just something missing. Obviously he missed half the year, but even the first half, he just didnt seem the same. Dont know if he got a little timid of his draft stock after the injury in 2011 spring ball, but his 2011 performance was far from the Crick that we came to know.

So instead of remembering his 2 amazingly productive years...you focus on the one year he was injured and state that it is 'the Crick that we came to know;'. Excellent logic.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

his 2011 performance was far from the Crick that we came to know.

And no, I'm not focusing on the one subpar year with a season-ending injury over his two good to great years. Just stating a simple fact, that even before the pect injury in 2011, he did not seem the same as the previous two years. it couldve also been due to an obvious higher lack of talent behind him than previous years as well.

One thing that disturbs me a bit was a previous article that talked about our players learning level '1' base defense vs being able to progress to level's 2 and 3. Some of those guys are redshirt Jr's and Sr's. You would think they would be know what they were doing by the time they were Jr's and Sr and would be at the top level.... So is that a coaching issue or is it too complicated/responsibility specific.

Some kids are just football smart and get it right away and others just never do. They may be smart kids, but they can not pick up the Xs & Os In HS, they compete with a few good players and now in college, they are all good and several are great.

As far as defense, we have not had a great safety since Brown. Like offense, you need great QB on defense. This means high football IQ.

:blink:

Bullocks, Bullocks, O'Hanlon, Asante, Gomes, Hagg?

Gomes & Hagg were nickle backs and please O'Hanlon had the IQ with lack of ability and Asante had ability, but no IQ. Sorry, that I forgot the Bullocks. People do not realize how important of position this is. The problem lies in finding a good athlete who has the IQ to read the offense.

O'Hanlon is easily the best safety of the Pelini era. I'd take him back any day

Anyone who thinks otherwise....is well....a bit off their rocker in my opinion....Didn't have speed or great tackling ability!? Did you see the Holiday Bowl vs. Arizona!???? Watch that game and get back to me peoples!

2012 58 90 9

2011 42 64 34

2010 9 63 3

2009 1 9 1

2008 79 21 82

For real. Being 8th on the all time list for sacks means he sucked big time. I'd say he proved himself in 2010 to be the #1 guy. 9.5 sacks and 17 tackles for loss ranking him second in the Big 12. 70 total stops, 36 solo...averaged 5 stops per game which was #1 for offensive lineman in the Big 12. Boy this guy sure was horrible. :sarcasm

People forget that Crick was a 280 lb 6'4" heap of a man that recorded a 31 inch vertical. He was EXPLOSIVE. I was a receiver in college and I only had a 36 inch vertical...and I weighed in at 180lbs. It's crazy to me that he was able to post that vertical leap.

People often forget just how good Crick was because he was, right or wrong, overshadowed by the awesomeness that was Suh. In my opinion, he shined as our #1 guy in 2010.

Yeah, because obviously I said he was horrible. Good Lord.... Chill out and drink a beer.

2012 58 90 9

2011 42 64 34

2010 9 63 3

2009 1 9 1

2008 79 21 82

Yeah, because obviously I said he was horrible. Good Lord.... Chill out and drink a beer.

Drink a beer yourself and use glasses to see the sarcasm icon.

Your response to me was as though I said Crick was a horrible player, which isn't true. I just think he was a little overrated. After he got hurt in 2011, our D-Line play really didn't drop off at all. That doesn't mean I think he was bad. I think somebody just pissed in your cheerios.