Defensive Scheme

Your response to me was as though I said Crick was a horrible player, which isn't true. I just think he was a little overrated. After he got hurt in 2011, our D-Line play really didn't drop off at all. That doesn't mean I think he was bad. I think somebody just pissed in your cheerios.

I agree with you. Prior to Crick's injury, he hadn't been a significant factor, and the d-line we put on the field in 2011 was nearly the same as the one in 2010. That said, he was still a good defensive tackle, further evidenced by him being a regular contributor for the Texans. I know you're not disputing this, of course.

For some reason, though, he wasn't playing that well to begin in 2011. There were several discussions on this board about it and in the media, as I remember.

Your response to me was as though I said Crick was a horrible player, which isn't true. I just think he was a little overrated. After he got hurt in 2011, our D-Line play really didn't drop off at all. That doesn't mean I think he was bad. I think somebody just pissed in your cheerios.

I agree with you. Prior to Crick's injury, he hadn't been a significant factor, and the d-line we put on the field in 2011 was nearly the same as the one in 2010. That said, he was still a good defensive tackle, further evidenced by him being a regular contributor for the Texans. I know you're not disputing this, of course.

For some reason, though, he wasn't playing that well to begin in 2011. There were several discussions on this board about it and in the media, as I remember.

I have said it before and I'll say it again Crick was never 100% in 2011 from game 1. I think he had a torn muscle prior to Ohio State.

So I'm listening a little bit to this round table talk, and PJ Smith was a guest on the show. I'm sitting here listening to PJ basically bash the scheme that we play on defense. I guess he and Daimion Stafford told Bo all the time how much they hated how the safeties were asked to play within the defense...

I have to say that my mind is blown a little bit...

So I'm listening a little bit to this round table talk, and PJ Smith was a guest on the show. I'm sitting here listening to PJ basically bash the scheme that we play on defense. I guess he and Daimion Stafford told Bo all the time how much they hated how the safeties were asked to play within the defense...

What are you listening to again? I'd like to hear it.

What are you listening to again? I'd like to hear it.

http://www.huskermax.com/games/2013/photos/00/1620roundtable.html#.UYG7uIKJ3Hs

I am listening to segment #2 right now. The links are right above the pictures.

I have said it before and I'll say it again Crick was never 100% in 2011 from game 1. I think he had a torn muscle prior to Ohio State.

I fully agree. I think he was hurt very early in the season or even in fall practice and finally torn it completely in the OSU game to the point he could no longer play.

Basically what I'm getting from PJ is that there was a lack of trust on the defense last year. He said that during big moments last year, guys on the defense would rather do their own thing and try to show off than play within the system and trust their teammates. That part is something that we all knew already. PJ said it himself: if every guy on the defense plays his job and doesn't try to play beyond the scheme, this defense will work.

Basically what I'm getting from PJ is that there was a lack of trust on the defense last year. He said that during big moments last year, guys on the defense would rather do their own thing and try to show off than play within the system and trust their teammates. That part is something that we all knew already. PJ said it himself: if every guy on the defense plays his job and doesn't try to play beyond the scheme, this defense will work.

He also seemed pretty bitter about the lack of talent on the defensive line and the safeties getting all the grief for missing tackles. He's trying to be polite about it though.

He also seemed pretty bitter about the lack of talent on the defensive line and the safeties getting all the grief for missing tackles. He's trying to be polite about it though.

Yep. And late in his interview, he keeps talking about "guys doing their own thing" instead of playing the defense. My question is, if that was the case, then why were those guys still allowed to be on the field?

I'd also like to know what guys were the prima donnas. That's pretty unacceptable stuff.

Yep. And late in his interview, he keeps talking about "guys doing their own thing" instead of playing the defense. My question is, if that was the case, then why were those guys still allowed to be on the field?

I'd also like to know what guys were the prima donnas. That's pretty unacceptable stuff.

I wonder if he's referring to a specific position group. Not sure who he's referring to but would be nice to know.

I do think at times Bo is unrealistic in what his scheme expects guys to handle assignment-wise, in terms of what guys are able to handle knowledgewise or talent-wise. That said, guys have to buy-in and work the scheme. It isn't like Bo hasn't had plenty of success before and proven the scheme works when executed.

As far as the D-line goes not being able stay healthy and lacking depth at DT really hurt us the past two seasons. Throw in a fair amount of very average players around those DT's and you have safeties that have to do too much.

I do think at times Bo is unrealistic in what his scheme expects guys to handle assignment-wise, in terms of what guys are able to handle knowledgewise or talent-wise. That said, guys have to buy-in and work the scheme. It isn't like Bo hasn't had plenty of success before and proven the scheme works when executed.

As far as the D-line goes not being able stay healthy and lacking depth at DT really hurt us the past two seasons. Throw in a fair amount of very average players around those DT's and you have safeties that have to do too much.

Talent has been the issue as of late.... In my opinion, it is really that simple. When Bo has talent on that side of the ball his defenses have been among the best....

Talent has been the issue as of late.... In my opinion, it is really that simple. When Bo has talent on that side of the ball his defenses have been among the best....

I agree that talent is the biggest culprit in the D struggling. This draft reflected the mediocrity of those first two classes. The first three classes are chock full of defensive front misses. Now we seem to be getting the talent back up now with these last two classes but we'll have to watch a year of struggles because we field a crew of newbs. At least this D should improve over the course of the season, unlike last year's senior-heavy-but-slow squad.