Defensive Scheme

Giving up 70 to a 5 loss team was the most disappointing defensive performance I have ever watched (I have been a fan since 1968). With all the high powered offenses NU has had over the years I only recall a couple 70 point games. The 2012 defense was one of the worst in NU's history, and should not be tolerated. If a scheme requires all american players to work, then it should be changed. There is no reason NU should ever be ranked in the bottom half on defense or offense.

BTW, does anyone know what scheme Rutgers runs? Rutgers was ranked 4th in scoring defense last year, and I have to believe NU has better talent than Rutgers.

Take a look at Rutgers schedule before you proclaim them as truly a top 5 defense...

Giving up 70 to a 5 loss team was the most disappointing defensive performance I have ever watched (I have been a fan since 1968). With all the high powered offenses NU has had over the years I only recall a couple 70 point games. The 2012 defense was one of the worst in NU's history, and should not be tolerated. If a scheme requires all american players to work, then it should be changed. There is no reason NU should ever be ranked in the bottom half on defense or offense.

The more I've thought about it the last few months, the more I agree with the bolded. The last time we had dominant defenses was when we had a dominant athletes. As those dominant athletes have left, our defense has become progressively worse where it matters most (the front seven).

Just look who we sent to the NFL in 2009 and the prospects (specifically, lack thereof) in 2012. It's bad. And while the NFL is not the be all end all to determining how good a team or player is, it's still something worth analyzing.

There has to be a balance between coaching and talent. I don't think the coaching has gotten worse, but I do think the talent we had through 2011-2012 did get worse. Pelini has a big job this summer to find out what he's got on this team and what he can do to make them as successful as possible. I don't think the scheme we've been running has worked with the players we've had the last couple of years, and if we aren't going to get the talent to do it, then we need to make schematic changes.

Or maybe recruiting should improve?

I'm not saying minor changes wouldn't make sense, but at some point, it boils down to talent.

We can have the best f'ing scheme for our players, but if we don't have the talent, we aren't going to beat any top teams.

It's all about talent.

Saban didn't change his defense at MSU or LSU or BAMA, he just went and recruited better players to fit the scheme.

Strength of Schedule the last five years (the Pelini Era):

Rutgers

Year - SOS - (W - L) - Notes

2008 - 73 - (8 - 5) - Started the season 1-5. First two games were blowout losses to Fresno State and North Carolina. Last three losses to Navy, West Virginia and Cincinnati by a combined 15 points.

2009 - 83 - (9 - 4) - Worst loss was their first game against Cincinnati, 47-15. Another blowout at Syracuse, 31-13. Two other losses by a combined ten points.

2010 - 67 - (4 - 8) - Lots of blowouts. Lost by 14 or more at Pitt, at Cincinnati, against Louisville and at West Virginia.

2011 - 69 - (9 - 4) - Worst loss was 40-22 at UConn. Their other three losses were by a combined 14 points. Lost to West Virginia by 10, lost to Louisville and North Carolina by two apiece. Greg Schiano's final season.

2012 - 72 - (9 - 4) - Worst loss was 27-6 at Pitt. Their other three losses were by a combined 18 points. Lost to Kent State by 12, lost to Louisville and VA Tech by three apiece. Kyle Flood's first season as head coach.

Nebraska

Year - SOS - (W - L) - Notes

2008 - 38 - (9 - 4) - Blowout losses to Missouri (52-17) and at Oklahoma (62-28). Other two losses were by a combined 11 points to VA Tech and Texas Tech (overtime). Bo Pelini's first season as head coach.

2009 - 52 - (10 - 4) - One blowout loss, to Texas Tech at home, 31-10. Other four losses were by a combined five points to VA Tech, at home against Iowa State (8 fumbles) and by one point to Texas in the Big XII Championship.

2010 - 39 - (10 - 4) - No blowout losses. Lost at home to Texas by 7, at Texas A&M by three (screwjob) and in the Big XII Championship by three to Oklahoma. Lost the Holiday Bowl to Washington by 12.

2011 - 26 - (9 - 4) - Blowout losses to Wisconsin (48-17), Michigan (45-17) and South Carolina in the Cap One Bowl (30-13). Other loss to Northwestern at home by three points.

2012 - 20 - (10 - 4) - Blowout losses to Ohio State (63-38) and Wisconsin (70-31). Two other losses by a combined 20 points at UCLA and against Georgia in the Cap One Bowl.

Note - for the sake of this breakdown, a "blowout loss" is any loss by more than two touchdowns, or anything 15 points or over.

The 2012 defense was one of the worst in NU's history

We led the nation in passing defense so.....no it wasn't.

Leading the nation is passing defense means absolutely nothing. Points, and forcing turnovers to help the offense score points is all that counts. I can take any team in college football and and design a defensive scheme that would lead the nation in passing defense. All you have to do it let the other team run all over you. Kind of like Wisconsin in the CCG.

The huskers have only given up an average 25 ppg 3 times since 1980. Last year, Bo's first year and KG's last year. CM coached a defense from 1980 to 2001 that never averaged more than 20 PPG. Since 1980 the huskers defense has averaged 16.4 ppg. I'd say that qualifies 2012 as one of the worst defenses in Husker history.

Leading the nation is passing defense means absolutely nothing. I can take any team in college football and and design a defensive scheme that would lead the nation in passing defense.

No you can't, and yes it does mean something. It means it wasn't the worst defense in school history~

It is kind of odd we need exceptional players to make Pelini's scheme look better than horrible. Part of it might be other coaches have the blueprint to beat his system, and he's too stubborn to make any significant changes? I don't know.

Leading the nation in pass defense is awesome, until you get absolutely shredded by the one team you play that can actually complete a forward pass.

Leading the nation is passing defense means absolutely nothing. I can take any team in college football and and design a defensive scheme that would lead the nation in passing defense.

No you can't, and yes it does mean something. It means it wasn't the worst defense in school history~

Yes I can. No team is going to throw the ball against my defense if I allow 10 yards per carry. It is easy to be very good in a single area, but a good defense defends the pass and the run.

It's all about talent.

A balance is more important than anything else. I don't think the talent we've been pulling in the last couple of years has been bad, and this last recruiting class evidenced that. You can make up for poor talent with good coaching, and bad coaching can ruin good talent. I definitely think the talent we pulled in during Bo's first class, whom were seniors last year, were not very talented. We have to continue improving recruiting, no question.

But I also think we've lacked quality coaching at times, evidence by poor fundamental play, execution and focus. We've shown on more than one occasion we're capable of competing with other top division one programs.

It's all about talent.

A balance is more important than anything else. I don't think the talent we've been pulling in the last couple of years has been bad, and this last recruiting class evidenced that. You can make up for poor talent with good coaching, and bad coaching can ruin good talent. I definitely think the talent we pulled in during Bo's first class, whom were seniors last year, were not very talented. We have to continue improving recruiting, no question.

But I also think we've lacked quality coaching at times, evidence by poor fundamental play, execution and focus. We've shown on more than one occasion we're capable of competing with other top division one programs.

I agree that last years senior class was below average. What I don't understand is why so many seniors started? On offense juniors, sophomores and even freshman played and NU had a really good offense despite the poor senior class. It doesn't make sense that one poor recruiting class had a huge impact on the defense and no impact on the offense. Either there is no talent on the defense this year, or the coaches were stupid for not putting the talent on the field last year.

It's all about talent.

I agree that last years senior class was below average. What I don't understand is why so many seniors started? On offense juniors, sophomores and even freshman played and NU had a really good offense despite the poor senior class. It doesn't make sense that one poor recruiting class had a huge impact on the defense and no impact on the offense. Either there is no talent on the defense this year, or the coaches were stupid for not putting the talent on the field last year.

It makes sense, because offensive players naturally get on the field earlier in their careers than defensive players, especially in a system like Bo's.

It's all about talent.

The class that just graduated was more Callahan's last class than Bo's first. Most of that class was committed before Bo got the job.

The 2009 and 2010 classes - what I really consider Bo's first classes - were sub par. Probably a combination of a lot of things - targeted the wrong guys, said yes to too many middle-of-the-road guys too early, a bunch of new coaches who were still learning everything that goes into it, or whatever. I think the last three classes have shown steady improvement but the 2011 class were sophomores or redshirt freshmen last year and most of the 2012 class redshirted so we haven't seen much of them on the field yet.

Even with a lot of young and/or inexperienced players on the field this year, I think we'll be better. Partly due to an easier schedule and partly due to better athletes. If we haven't made a big jump by 2014, I'll concede there is a problem other than players that probably needs to be fixed.

Pelini knows the team better than any fan or journalist. This doesn't excuse him from making mistakes, but it does mean he evaluated his team and felt putting those players on the field put them in the best position to win.

I think it's more difficult to play defense than it is to play offense. Offenses know what they're doing, while defenses have to react. This naturally gives offenses an advantage. Throw on the fact that we recruited relatively average players, and we've put out relatively average performances beginning in 2011. At this point, I also think it's fair to suggest Pelini and Co. haven't developed players (across the board) as we would like. There are bright spots here and there, but as a whole, it hasn't been great.

But, long explanation short, I think we had players that were far too raw to play (but were more talented) going up against players that knew what they were doing (but lacked talent). It's a pick your poison, and the coaches tried their best. We can only hope that another year in the books has taught them lessons they can use in the future.

The class that just graduated was more Callahan's last class than Bo's first. Most of that class was committed before Bo got the job.

We lost several recruits when Callahan was fired. It was a poor class, regardless of who we attribute it to. Naturally, I don't blame Pelini at all for this, as he was left to pick up the scraps of a failed regime.