Strange Things Ive Noticed Lately

Hey guys how's everybody?

Couple things I've noticed are some just odd opinions and viewpoints that hopefully I can help put into perspective.

1) People claim we don't have NFL talent.

It was evident that we didn't have any seniors that were worthy of being drafted. In my opinion, that is correct. We didn't recruit very well in 08 and 09. Those would have been this years seniors. Don't make the mistake that we don't have NFL talent in the lower classes though. We have players that will be drafted. Just not in the 2013 draft.

2) We haven't developed the kids we have.

I don't believe you should use a draft class as proof of that. After Eric Martin's sophomore year I as on record saying he would never have a major impact on our team. He developed into a good college defensive end that I would take back for this year. Jake Cotton is a kid that will be drafted as is Spencer Long and they were both nowhere near as highly touted as Andrew Rodriguez. These are just very small examples, but my point stands that the 2013 draft class does not indicate how we are developing our young men.

3) Our scheme on defense isn't one that will win games

Listen, Les Miles before he hired Bo said that he was one of the toughest DCs to gameplan for because his scheme changes with the way he wants to go at offenses. In my opinion, we did not have the horses to run what Bo wants. That stems back to the 08 and 09 class. Which ultimately you have to hold Bo accountable for and he has accepted the blame. Patience is what I will tell you.

4) Our Coaching Staff isn't competent

Well, based on points one and two, shouldn't we credit the coaching staff's schemes week in and week out that allowed us to win games against teams with more experienced NFL draftees??? I don't think it's unfair to ask.

Cheers guys

• Fire 5

3) Our Coaching Staff isn't competent

Well, based on points one and two, shouldn't we credit the coaching staff's schemes week in and week out that allowed us to win games against teams with more experienced NFL draftees??? I don't think it's unfair to ask.

Cheers guys

I agree 100% with everything you said!

I want to emphasize on this one just a bit more, if that is ok with you.

I don't get why people are saying these things, when simply, some of our assistants haven't been here long enough, to show what they can do.

Look at Ross Els. IIRC, this will be his 3rd season with us. Our defensive side of recruiting has become a LOT better since he has been here. All credit to him? No, but not enough is given to him. With the lack of talent we had at LB last year, I think we performed much better than some of us expected. Ross Els got more I imagined he could have out of them. Had we had a competent DL, they would have looked even better that what they did. Sure you can blame Special Teams on him, but honestly, don't you think he was overloaded (LB Coach, Head Recruiter, Special Teams Coach) with work, and couldn't spend a lot of time there? This year, all coaches are helping with Special Teams, rather than just one person. We should see a major improvement.

Speaking of DL... Coach Kaz... This will be his 2nd year. I expect our DL to be better than we had last year. Due to this guy. He came here before the Capital One Bowl last year, a little over a month from signing day. He brought Aaron Curry with him, who I think will be a great player. He hadn't been here long enough to form our guys into what he wanted, let alone, he wasn't working with much talent as it was.

Terry Joseph... I think his name speaks enough if you follow what he does. It also helps that he took over a successful secondary as well when Raymond left.

Papuchis, 2nd year as a DC. I am not sold on him at DC just yet, but did we really think we were going to have a top notch defense with the lack of talent we had? Take your blinders off, and realize that its not just the schemes that weren't working... you need good players for any scheme to work. I don't think it was the scheme that was our problem, it was the lack of athleticism, size, and speed. When your DB's have to worry about the run, just as much they do protecting against the passing game, you know there is only so much you can do.

Garrison, this is his first year being head of the OL. This guy formed a walk-on, into our first All American in over a decade. This year will tell if he is what we have been looking for. His KC connections should only help our recruiting for the OL.

Also, our lack of "knowledge" at Safety hurt us a lot this year too. Not a knock on Stafford, but he didn't have what it took to be a safety in Pelini's system. I don't think a lot of kids have what it takes, in my opinion. There are a lot of responsibilities that your normal Safety isn't use to having, and it takes a lot of "football smarts" to be successful in that position. He would have been a successful Safety in a lot of other systems, just not this one.

• Fire 2

Listen, Les Miles before he hired Bo said that he was one of the toughest DCs to gameplan for because his scheme changes with the way he wants to go at offenses. In my opinion, we did not have the horses to run what Bo wants. That stems back to the 08 and 09 class. Which ultimately you have to hold Bo accountable for and he has accepted the blame. Patience is what I will tell you.

Pelini hasn't shown he can run an effective defense that doesn't have top level NFL talent. LSU, Oklahoma, and here all his top defenses had multiple first round talent. Pelini so far has shown he's an average defensive coach, that only excels with top talent. This year will be a test as how good of a d-coach he is.

Pelini hasn't shown he can run an effective defense that doesn't have top level NFL talent. LSU, Oklahoma, and here all his top defenses had multiple first round talent. Pelini so far has shown he's an average defensive coach, that only excels with top talent. This year will be a test as how good of a d-coach he is.

Who was the other first rounder on the 09 defense????

Prince Amukamara.

Prince Amukamara.

That was 2011

I truly believe that he is starting to get the guys for his system. I don't know much about who he had at LSU but we have some athletes especially at the linebacker spot guys who can really run. over all our defense is starting to get depth. I'm excited to see what this young speedy defense can do this year

Honest question - how many coaches excel with bad talent?

• Fire 1

Prince Amukamara.

That was 2011

He wasn't on the 09 defense?

Excellent points EZ.

We're soon going to hit the point where we see if Bo can turn around the talent accumulation part of this program or if that's going to be a recurring issue that continually holds us back. I feel things are looking pretty positive in this area but you just don't know until you see it happen, right?

Some people just can't grasp the concept that when you hire a first time head coach late in the recruiting process there is a chance his first recruiting class isn't going to be as productive as some would hope. In this case, that carried over somewhat into the next class also.

In college, those classes have to wash through the system. It's not like in the NFL where we could go out and get a bunch of free agents the next year to replace them. This graduating class of seniors is not indicative of the health of the program by any stretch of the imagination.

• Fire 1

Some people just can't grasp the concept that when you hire a first time head coach late in the recruiting process there is a chance his first recruiting class isn't going to be as productive as some would hope. In this case, that carried over somewhat into the next class also.

In college, those classes have to wash through the system. It's not like in the NFL where we could go out and get a bunch of free agents the next year to replace them. This graduating class of seniors is not indicative of the health of the program by any stretch of the imagination.

Good post.