Huskers NOT in SI Post Spring Power Rankings

Aww, andy is buying into the MSU hype again. He'll be wrong, just like last year.

Michigan State (7-6) (3-5 in conference)

Lost (three best players):

• Le'Veon Bell: 1793 yards and 12 TD. Backup RB had 108 yards ... and graduated. Third-string RB had 48 yards.
  • Deon Sims
  • William Gholston

Predicted to be #14? RIGHT.

The best Michigan State player last season was this white Middle Linebacker

Aww, andy is buying into the MSU hype again. He'll be wrong, just like last year.

Michigan State (7-6) (3-5 in conference)

Lost (three best players):

• Le'Veon Bell: 1793 yards and 12 TD. Backup RB had 108 yards ... and graduated. Third-string RB had 48 yards.
  • Deon Sims
  • William Gholston

Predicted to be #14? RIGHT.

The best Michigan State player last season was this white Middle Linebacker

Max Bullough

We're still less than 4 months away from the first snap being taken, and yet somehow Copernicus has his "post spring game preseason midsummers night Top 25"...

These top 25's are the desperation of having nothing left to write about from the spring games, nobody transfering, and nobody being arrested for anything...

We're still less than 4 months away from the first snap being taken, and yet somehow Copernicus has his "post spring game preseason midsummers night Top 25"...

These top 25's are the desperation of having nothing left to write about from the spring games, nobody transfering, and nobody being arrested for anything...

Exactly. And you get a rise out of certain fanbases by ranking them too high, too low, or not at all.

It generates discussion and it drives hits to his website. I think most everyone knows that's what he's doing - it is his business, after all - but it still rankles to be left out. Just like it's supposed to.

We're too easily manipulated, even when we know we're being manipulated and we should strive against it.

Evaluating our spring game you get an awful look at where we are as a team. We had 3 possible starters on the DL sitting out (Randle, McMullen, Valentine) and our hands down best LB in Santos. With a team so young on defense We looked soft on defense up front missing so many pieces. Two horrible busts in our spring game were by LB's that will never see the field for a defensive snap. Most teams went 1's on 1's and 2's on 2's during their spring game to match up. They will look a lot better bd you have a cohesive unit playing. All parts of defense will make each other look better when you go 1's on 1's. We split guys and we looked lost at times. I can see why coming out of spring if you dont cover our team then you would question us being a legit team.

We will be better up front this year than we were last year. Cant be any worse?? Sorry but Meredith playing DT made me throw up in my mouth. But he did it to the best of his ability and he was playing out of position. LB's with Santos and ZA we should be better at LB. Find a young buck to plug in next to them (Rose, Afalava, Brown) and we are solid. WE should have the best secondary in the B1G or at least right there with OSU.

For guys that dont know much about our team, but what they saw at the spring game then I could see Andy would think their is too many holes on defense to leave us out of his top 25. But this just shows that he doesnt follow each team closely and is just taking blind guesses based off spring game hype. Cant wait to prove this guy wrong. GBR!!!

Mich st could have won every game but Notre dame and have an easy schedule this year. Defense should be better this yer. That is the logic they r using. I do not agree with it, but my opinion means about as much as his preseason poll

Coulda woulda shoulda.

Their D might be better this year, but their O will be worse than last year when they were abysmal.

Exactly. And you get a rise out of certain fanbases by ranking them too high, too low, or not at all.

It generates discussion and it drives hits to his website. I think most everyone knows that's what he's doing - it is his business, after all - but it still rankles to be left out. Just like it's supposed to.

We're too easily manipulated, even when we know we're being manipulated and we should strive against it.

Maybe you're right about the manipulation, but I'm wondering if that comes from our own perception about not getting the respect we deserve...

Maybe you're right about the manipulation, but I'm wondering if that comes from our own perception about not getting the respect we deserve...

It's just how news is marketed today. It's a product they're selling rather than information they're disseminating. Especially with opinion pieces like this, that are designed to drive traffic to the website (or paper, or TV channel). The less controversy, the fewer eyeballs paying attention. Controversy sells, and this top 25 is rife with it.

I guess it depends on what criteria you think "Power Rankings" or preseason polls are judged on.

You could say they should be a reflection of a team's final ranking from the season before. In that case, Nebraska would be in the neighborhood of 25/23 (AP/Coaches).

Or you could say that they should be in anticipation of where the team might end up this next season. Nebraska has finished the last four seasons ranked 25/23, 24/24, 20/19, and 14/14, so that's probably a pretty good predictor of what we'll do this year too.

Or you could say that Vegas does a better job at predicting things than anyone else (which is completely true), and then note that we have the 19th best odds at winning the national championship. We are also not even favored to win the Legends (and tied with Michigan for 2nd place), and tied with Wisconsin for 4th place in the conference.

So, actually, it doesn't really matter what criteria you want to judge a preseason poll on and the conclusion remains the same: he's more or less right.

While I'm not sure if we deserve to be completely unranked in his poll, I wouldn't say we really deserve to be much higher than 20th either. I also don't think there's really too much of a difference between being anywhere around the 20's, so I don't see the big deal. Our preseason ranking in each of the last four seasons was 17/16, 10/11, 8/9, and 24/22, so we've been moderately overrated each of the last three seasons. Maybe they're just reacting to the fact that we've underperformed relative to expectations lately.

I guess it depends on what criteria you think "Power Rankings" or preseason polls are judged on.

You could say they should be a reflection of a team's final ranking from the season before. In that case, Nebraska would be in the neighborhood of 25/23 (AP/Coaches).

Or you could say that they should be in anticipation of where the team might end up this next season. Nebraska has finished the last four seasons ranked 25/23, 24/24, 20/19, and 14/14, so that's probably a pretty good predictor of what we'll do this year too.

Or you could say that Vegas does a better job at predicting things than anyone else (which is completely true), and then note that we have the 19th best odds at winning the national championship. We are also not even favored to win the Legends (and tied with Michigan for 2nd place), and tied with Wisconsin for 4th place in the conference.

So, actually, it doesn't really matter what criteria you want to judge a preseason poll on and the conclusion remains the same: he's more or less right.

While I'm not sure if we deserve to be completely unranked in his poll, I wouldn't say we really deserve to be much higher than 20th either. I also don't think there's really too much of a difference between being anywhere around the 20's, so I don't see the big deal. Our preseason ranking in each of the last four seasons was 17/16, 10/11, 8/9, and 24/22, so we've been moderately overrated each of the last three seasons. Maybe they're just reacting to the fact that we've underperformed relative to expectations lately.

Yes, I honestly don't know too much about Michigan St. and what they have coming back, but I think it's funny how some use the argument that we should be ranked because our schedule is so easy and we will surely go 10-3 and a solid chance at 11-2 or better but at the same time say Mich st. will only win 6-8 games. Has anyone looked at MSU's schedule? It's easily arguably that it is easier than ours or, at best, equally as easy as ours.

As KJ pointed out, Vegas knows more than any of us, and they have Mich St. favored to win the division. Of course that doesn't mean it is a shoe-in for them to win, but I think they are worth a little more attention than simply saying they are sure to go 6-6 because they lost a few key players. They still return 8 starters on defense (according to Scout) and 8 starters on offense including 4 of their o-lineman.

Man guys, melt down much?

I can easily see how he doesn't have us ranked. Most polls that do have us ranked have us in the 20-25 range. We have a ton of questions and didn't do much to convince people with all our close wins and blowout losses last season. I think we should be ranked ~20 but the difference between 20 and 26 isn't very significant.

HOORAY OFFSEASON

All season long last year, I read post afer post about how lucky NU is to have won, they aren't that good, they'll be exposed etc. The season ended with complete and utter meltdowns about how inexcusable this was (Even though it was predicted)

Now the board's in a kerfuffle about how Nebraska was slighted in a preseason poll, so meaningless it doesnt even register in the eyes of many...