Bands that should not have been as big as they are or were

I'll learn how to use the quote box one day. Anyway, walksalone is correct. AC/DC is so blues driven it's not even funny. Blues is the bedrock for rock n roll. Having played guiter for 30 plus years I can tell ya that if you can't master those 3 basic AC/DC chords you won't play rock guitar....evah!

• Fire 1

I'll learn how to use the quote box one day. Anyway, walksalone is correct. AC/DC is so blues driven it's not even funny. Blues is the bedrock for rock n roll. Having played guiter for 30 plus years I can tell ya that if you can't master those 3 basic AC/DC chords you won't play rock guitar....evah!

Thank you for your comment. I wanted to say something about Stig's comment, but I don't play. Just because music is simple doesn't make it bad. How bout the Ramones.

Nothing wrong with any of this music. What is it with you tried and true heavy metal guys?

Many of us "tried and true heavy metal guys" have taken so much sh*t from those inviduals that listen to "normal" music, that we've become a bit defense...

Not to mention, there is more talent in most metal bands than 90% of regular bands due to the virtuousity involved in playing music such as this...

What's "normal" music. I like a lot of heavy metal, but I am not aways in the mood for it. I never turn the channel when the Carpenters come on the radio. Karen Carpenter had one of the most soothing voices I have ever heard. So did Patsy Cline. I like to listen to Nat "King" Cole sing also. Sometimes I listen to big band music. I grew up listening to it with my dad.

You don't have to defend Metal to me, but I guess what I am saying is that I don't understand why so many hard core metal fans feel like they have to make metal a superior music form, it's not, it is just a different style. There are ton of great guitar players that never play that style and you know it.

Nothing wrong with any of this music. What is it with you tried and true heavy metal guys?

Many of us "tried and true heavy metal guys" have taken so much sh*t from those inviduals that listen to "normal" music, that we've become a bit defense...

Not to mention, there is more talent in most metal bands than 90% of regular bands due to the virtuousity involved in playing music such as this...

What's "normal" music. I like a lot of heavy metal, but I am not aways in the mood for it. I never turn the channel when the Carpenters come on the radio. Karen Carpenter had one of the most soothing voices I have ever heard. So did Patsy Cline. I like to listen to Nat "King" Cole sing also. Sometimes I listen to big band music. I grew up listening to it with my dad.

You don't have to defend Metal to me, but I guess what I am saying is that I don't understand why so many hard core metal fans feel like they have to make metal a superior music form, it's not, it is just a different style. There are ton of great guitar players that never play that style and you know it.

I never thought I would get into a anthropological discussion about metal, but here it goes...

From what I've seen Metal draws those that don't necessarily "fit in" or "aren't cool". It's a form of music that people hold close to their hearts because they feel that it's theirs, due to the lyrical content and the aggression of the music. When I was a kid listening to those metal and hardcore bands gave me a sense of belonging, that I was still an outsider, but there were other outsiders that I could identify with. Case in point is one of my favorite albums by D.R.I., "Dealing With It". There are so many songs about not liking your school, your parents suck, grown ups are out to f*ck with you, and that life can suck, that a pissed off teenager can identify with. I've had a chance to talk to the guys in D.R.I., and told them that, that album should be issued to every pissed off 15 year old boy.

It's not that it's a superior form of music, the common misconception that it's just noise, but the fact that some of the best musicians on the planet play in metal bands. Stealing a line from a journalist, if Richard Wagner was alive now, he'd have been in Deep Purple...

I concur with you completely...

It cracks me up for those to trivialize the simplicity of AC/DC, because I've never played an instrument.

Are you going to mock the simplicity of Muddy Waters or B.B. King?

It's just been awhile since I've heard a more jackass statement...

I never thought I would get into a anthropological discussion about metal, but here it goes...

From what I've seen Metal draws those that don't necessarily "fit in" or "aren't cool". It's a form of music that people hold close to their hearts because they feel that it's theirs, due to the lyrical content and the aggression of the music. When I was a kid listening to those metal and hardcore bands gave me a sense of belonging, that I was still an outsider, but there were other outsiders that I could identify with. Case in point is one of my favorite albums by D.R.I., "Dealing With It". There are so many songs about not liking your school, your parents suck, grown ups are out to f*ck with you, and that life can suck, that a pissed off teenager can identify with. I've had a chance to talk to the guys in D.R.I., and told them that, that album should be issued to every pissed off 15 year old boy.

It's not that it's a superior form of music, the common misconception that it's just noise, but the fact that some of the best musicians on the planet play in metal bands. Stealing a line from a journalist, if Richard Wagner was alive now, he'd have been in Deep Purple...

Yeah, I understand the don't fit/not cool angle of it. But there are other genres that claim the same appleal. Goth/Punk/Grunge. They were all a backlash against what is "Normal". Pearl Jam/Nervana/Soudgarden/AiC etc. were the anti hair band music of the early 90's. Rock n Roll is the music of the teen that doesn't fit it/ or isn't cool. It's just that not fitting in or not "normal" is redefined about every 10 years. Look at heavy metal itself. Their are so many genres. Each claiming kids that don't fit/ or arn't cool.

Deep Purple needs to go in to the HOF before Kiss...

I won't agree or disagree with this (because they both deserve to be in) but wanted to point out that, based on people/groups who are in the HOF and those who aren't, the Rock N Roll HOF is pretty much a joke. They've got groups in there I wouldn't even begin to classify as rock and there is a huge list that would appear to be no brainer choices who aren't. I don't think they know what the hell they're doing at the HOF.

Deep Purple needs to go in to the HOF before Kiss...

I won't agree or disagree with this (because they both deserve to be in) but wanted to point out that, based on people/groups who are in the HOF and those who aren't, the Rock N Roll HOF is pretty much a joke. They've got groups in there I wouldn't even begin to classify as rock and there is a huge list that would appear to be no brainer choices who aren't. I don't think they know what the hell they're doing at the HOF.

The Rock and Roll HOF has a fairly broad definition of what constitutes RandR. I don't really have a problem with this, I do have a problem with how they select to get into it. The Rock and Roll HOF is basically run by all the cronies at Rolling Stone Magazine. If they don't like you then you aren't getting in. Rush should have been int the HOF the first year they were eligible something like 1999. But, they didn't get in because Rolling Stone has never liked their work. It took years of outcry from fans before they were inducted. Yet a Punk Rock chick by the name of Patty Smith who had 2-3 good songs back in 1975 and one of them was a Springsteen cover gets in no problem. Why, becuase the old cronies at Rolling Stone love her. I'm actually surprised that Led Zep got in so quickly. They panned their first 3 albums.

Kiss deserves to be in the HOF because of how they changed the way concerts and rock and roll was done and marketed. They were the first to really mass market themselves and they deserve that credit whether you like their music or not. I like Deep Purple a lot, I am not sure their body of work stands out enough to warrent induction, IMO.

I wouldn't have a problem if it were called the Music Hall of Fame or some such thing but it is the Rock & Roll HOF.

Here is a short list of some that have already been inducted:

Public Enemy, Laura Nyro, Beastie Boys, Neil Diamond, Run DMC, Grandmaster Flash, Herb Alpert, Miles Davis, Isaac Hayes

Here is a partial list of some who have not been inducted yet:

Kiss, The Cars, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Joan Jett, B-52's, Cheap Trick, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Iron Maiden, Moody Blues, Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, Joe Cocker, The Monkees, Journey, Chicago, Hall & Oates, The Cure

Now I won't say the ones that are in aren't deserving of something or that I necessarily like all of those listed that aren't in but, this is the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I happen to like Neil Diamond and can appreciate the music of Herb Alpert and Miles Davis but no way guys like that belong in there before these others.

More than a few of these just astound me; SRV, Kiss, Joe Cocker.... c'mon.

It seems they stayed pretty true to R&R from 1986 to about 2002 but since then there have been some real head scratchers and very notable slights IMO.

Thank you for your comment. I wanted to say something about Stig's comment, but I don't play. Just because music is simple doesn't make it bad. How bout the Ramones.

I never said "simple = bad", its more "endlessly repetitive = bad" Which even Angus will admit to. Making a comment that they pretty much just change the album cover. Like I have said before, its not that the songs are 3 chords (most songs are) its they never change up which 3 they are using.

The Ramones were hugely influential, largely due to the simplicity. They inspired tons of people, with a "Hey, I can do that" thought, and they went out and picked up gear and started bands.

I never said "simple = bad", its more "endlessly repetitive = bad" Which even Angus will admit to. Making a comment that they pretty much just change the album cover. Like I have said before, its not that the songs are 3 chords (most songs are) its they never change up which 3 they are using.

The Ramones were hugely influential, largely due to the simplicity. They inspired tons of people, with a "Hey, I can do that" thought, and they went out and picked up gear and started bands.

Yeah the Ramones were influential and used pretty much the same 3 cords all the time. It's ok you can admit you don't care for AC/DC, but your reasoning is flawed. I think Angus was commenting on the fact that all of their musics sounds the same, and I think he said they didn't know how to do it any other way. He said they are just a rock and roll band. All the Ramones music sounds the same also.

Chicago. Bouncy, she can't dance a lick. Milly Vanilly. T_O_B

Bull...Someday I've got to hear what ever happened between you and CTA...They seem to be one of your most hated bands while they were a great bonding moment between me, my oldest Brother, and my Dad..(One of the few bands we all could enjoy and jam to).