Phil Steele's 2013 Nebraska Preview

Despite having to replace their top players, I cannot imagine them being as bad statistically in '13 as they add 2 VHT rFr and a PS#5JC.

This pretty well decides whether we're top 10 or barely cracking the top 25. When your entire defense outlook can be summed up by "they can't be as bad as last year" - it's a little concerning. Hopefully we see a 2008ish type turnaround. That defense w/ this offense wins 11 games on this schedule.

I thought that the '12 defense was 2008ish. With some solid performances against the lesser teams, but also some cases where we completely got ran off the field. Not very consistent is probably the best way of putting it.

He does fit a ton of information into a small area. I don't think he is trying to win the Pulitzer.

I would buy it if he simply made the magazine big enough to fit all that information.

It's like 380 pages as it is...

That's hardly intimidating. That's like a dozen trips to the bathroom.

Despite having to replace their top players, I cannot imagine them being as bad statistically in '13 as they add 2 VHT rFr and a PS#5JC.

When your entire defense outlook can be summed up by "they can't be as bad as last year" - it's a little concerning.

Funny because that was his reasoning in last year's magazine. Whoops-a-daisy.

IndianaPlayer_original.gif?1370291201

What is going on here? That is freaking hilarious .

Indiana revealed new helmets and uniforms for 2013. When you play for the Hoosiers, they can only get excited for the insignificant things.

That is freakin' great... I especially like the guy flopping in the front row...

Should be more talented than last year's senior-heavy-but-slow squad. If the guys do a better job of buying in to the system and playing their assignments they should improve over the course of the season like the '08 squad. I expect a slow start, will likely have to win a shoot-out if we are to get past UCLA.

Although inexperienced on D, how many projected starters are true Fresh. For a lot of the guys, this will be year 2+ in the system. I am hoping that this makes up for lack of actual game experience.

I also hope that the addition of speed (per opinion) can cover a multitude of miscues that we were unable to recover from last year. Until we show we can stop the run, I would expect teams to punch us in the mouth every game. The young guys in the front 7, IMO, will be well seasoned by league play.

This pretty well decides whether we're top 10 or barely cracking the top 25. When your entire defense outlook can be summed up by "they can't be as bad as last year" - it's a little concerning. Hopefully we see a 2008ish type turnaround. That defense w/ this offense wins 11 games on this schedule.

I thought that the '12 defense was 2008ish. With some solid performances against the lesser teams, but also some cases where we completely got ran off the field. Not very consistent is probably the best way of putting it.

Yeah you're right. Almost exactly the same (both gave up 49TDs, both had a couple blowout losses giving up a lot of points) I hadn't looked at it in a while. I remembered that D being a little better - maybe because the 07' D was just so bad, or because we closed pretty strong with the win over Clemson. We had a decent rushing D that year. Gave up just over 200 a few times. Our pass D sucked though.

That's maybe a product of the conference change too though. Comparing the 2008 D, to the 2012 D shows you just how much of a transition there is defensively between the B1G and the B12.

Yeah you're right. Almost exactly the same (both gave up 49TDs, both had a couple blowout losses giving up a lot of points) I hadn't looked at it in a while. I remembered that D being a little better - maybe because the 07' D was just so bad, or because we closed pretty strong with the win over Clemson. We had a decent rushing D that year. Gave up just over 200 a few times. Our pass D sucked though.

That's maybe a product of the conference change too though. Comparing the 2008 D, to the 2012 D shows you just how much of a transition there is defensively between the B1G and the B12.

big difference though KC. '08's obviosly improved. By the time the Gator Bowl came around it was developing into a pretty solid unit. Last year's edition seemed to regress, mostly becuase of injuries, late in the year.

Also, the '08 D faced probably the most prolific and explosive set of offenses that any conference as a whole has ever fielded. The Big 12 was absolutely loaded offensively that year, and as far as rushing D goes, the Big 12 was not nearly as balanced. It really was a "sling it around the yard" type league. I guess looking at it that way, I'll agree and give the edge to '08.

IndianaPlayer_original.gif?1370291201

What is going on here? That is freaking hilarious .

Indiana revealed new helmets and uniforms for 2013. When you play for the Hoosiers, they can only get excited for the insignificant things.

That is freakin' great... I especially like the guy flopping in the front row...

i did not know that lebron james also played indiana football.

• Fire 8

big difference though KC. '08's obviosly improved. By the time the Gator Bowl came around it was developing into a pretty solid unit. Last year's edition seemed to regress, mostly becuase of injuries, late in the year.

This is what's been so frustrating with Pelini's teams of late. 2008 we saw major improvement throughout the year. 2009's D was in beast mode by seasons end. However, 2010 was a disaster late in the year. 2011 was almost identical. 2012 was a couple plays from going the same way, and pretty much did when you throw the championship/bowl games in there.

We used to hear about the "process" all the time. Now we rarely hear it. Maybe the lack of "process" is cause for our lack of "execution"? Regardless, this team hasn't finished strong in years.

• Fire 3

This is what's been so frustrating with Pelini's teams of late. 2008 we saw major improvement throughout the year. 2009's D was in beast mode by seasons end. However, 2010 was a disaster late in the year. 2011 was almost identical. 2012 was a couple plays from going the same way, and pretty much did when you throw the championship/bowl games in there.

We used to hear about the "process" all the time. Now we rarely hear it. Maybe the lack of "process" is cause for our lack of "execution"? Regardless, this team hasn't finished strong in years.

Sorry to nitpick, but I wouldnt say 2010 was a disaster late. the offense went into the tank when the star got hurt, but, the defense play awesome down the stretch aside from one bad 1/2 quarter against OU in Dallas. I refuse to take note of the Holiday Bowl against Washington. That game was a joke, and there was not one player or coach that had half the necessary interest required to win that game. My comments could be found, but I expected a loss there from the moment it was announced. That game was nothing less than one last manipulated kick in the nuts from Beebe and the Big 12. So, aside from that game the end of 2010 wasnt nearly a disaster. It's just a shame the offense wound up revolving around one guy.

• Fire 1

Sorry to nitpick, but I wouldnt say 2010 was a disaster late. the offense went into the tank when the star got hurt, but, the defense play awesome down the stretch aside from one bad 1/2 quarter against OU in Dallas. I refuse to take note of the Holiday Bowl against Washington. That game was a joke, and there was not one player or coach that had half the necessary interest required to win that game. My comments could be found, but I expected a loss there from the moment it was announced. That game was nothing less than one last manipulated kick in the nuts from Beebe and the Big 12. So, aside from that game the end of 2010 wasnt nearly a disaster. It's just a shame the offense wound up revolving around one guy.

We should be kicking ourselves for 2010. We should have been undefeated going into the game with OU. No ands ifs or buts. We beat aTm, the scoreboard just didnt show it. Texas? You f'ing kidding me??? We were up 17 to nothing on OU and if TMart doesn't throw that pick in the end zone we go up 20 to nothing. We should be kicking ourselves.

We should be kicking ourselves for 2010. We should have been undefeated going into the game with OU. No ands ifs or buts. We beat aTm, the scoreboard just didnt show it. Texas? You f'ing kidding me??? We were up 17 to nothing on OU and if TMart doesn't throw that pick in the end zone we go up 20 to nothing. We should be kicking ourselves.

I honestly still think that the 2010 team has been Bo's best fielded team thus far overall.

I honestly still think that the 2010 team has been Bo's best fielded team thus far overall.

No doubt about it. That team should have done great things. If only we had something that resembled an offense.