Pat Forde: 40 Scheduling Observations (#23 Nebraska)

Via his column on Yahoo.com

Of note:

23. Athletic director Tom Osborne’s lovely parting gift for Bo Pelini at Nebraska: four non-conference home games to start the year. The Big Ten added a fifth straight against Illinois. The Cornhuskers do not play a road game against a team that finished 2012 with a winning record until Nov. 9, at Michigan.

Good opportunity for Bo and Nebraska to get back on the main stage, though playing tOSU in the B1G Title Game if we've run through our season untested (quite possible, if MSU and Michigan are not up to snuff) could cause us problems...

is there any evidence to this? we will either play well or we will not. i do not see how previous games have any impact on this other than injuries.

So, if we play no one but high school teams all year we would be just as prepared? We need to be pushed to be our best.

i do not think the ncaa would allow that.

we were not pushed last year during the regular season? how did that turn out?

and then you have teams like boise state or utah who play no one all year and can win bcs bowl games.

Via his column on Yahoo.com

Of note:

23. Athletic director Tom Osborne’s lovely parting gift for Bo Pelini at Nebraska: four non-conference home games to start the year. The Big Ten added a fifth straight against Illinois. The Cornhuskers do not play a road game against a team that finished 2012 with a winning record until Nov. 9, at Michigan.

Good opportunity for Bo and Nebraska to get back on the main stage, though playing tOSU in the B1G Title Game if we've run through our season untested (quite possible, if MSU and Michigan are not up to snuff) could cause us problems...

is there any evidence to this? we will either play well or we will not. i do not see how previous games have any impact on this other than injuries.

So, if we play no one but high school teams all year we would be just as prepared? We need to be pushed to be our best.

i do not think the ncaa would allow that.

we were not pushed last year during the regular season? how did that turn out?

and then you have teams like boise state or utah who play no one all year and can win bcs bowl games.

Exactly....and this is something I don't care for at all....yet I still give the team their respects for going to a bowl and beating a BCS caliber team, however, their Athletic Dept. needs to schedule bigger non-conference foes. I was glad to see Boise St. playing Georgia and Michigan St....but it would be nice if they could add another one. Their schedule needs to be more competitive IMO.

Exactly....and this is something I don't care for at all....yet I still give the team their respects for going to a bowl and beating a BCS caliber team, however, their Athletic Dept. needs to schedule bigger non-conference foes. I was glad to see Boise St. playing Georgia and Michigan St....but it would be nice if they could add another one. Their schedule needs to be more competitive IMO.

i agree. my point is just that the husker's schedule is not lacking in competition to a point where it is a disadvantage.

What if the Huskers go 10-2.... those two losses coming in blow out fashion.... to say UCLA and Mich... and we don't make the CCG? Would Bo be on the hot seat?

If we're talking two blowouts similar to the beatdown we received from Wisconsin, then absolutely. However, two close losses to those teams will probably not bring much heat. Plus, a lot of it probably has more to do with how UCLA and Michigan finish the season rather than by how many points we lost by. If one or both is in the top 5 at seasons end, most fans will overlook a slight pounding.

Both teams have boat loads more talent than Nebraska. If we play them close I think it will show improvement. If we fantastic. I do not expect us to be UCLA. The defense will be to young, to aggressive and Mora will game plan around that. And their QB is back, he dealt us the beating. Our offense will have to be better than it was last year, by quite a bit. We have them at home.

Michigan's QB is being compared to RGIII supposedly. They will be tough to beat at home this year.

For some reason people on this site seem to think the only team that can improve is Nebraska, Northwestern will be better this year and Michigan State will improve. Will the Nebraska defense improve or stay the same is the main question for this program. Or can the Offense actually perform against a top program?

This is going to be a very interesting year. Some are expecting a tremendous amount from a bunch of kids on the defensive side.

Both teams have boat loads more talent than Nebraska. If we play them close I think it will show improvement. If we fantastic. I do not expect us to be UCLA. The defense will be to young, to aggressive and Mora will game plan around that. And their QB is back, he dealt us the beating. Our offense will have to be better than it was last year, by quite a bit. We have them at home.

Michigan's QB is being compared to RGIII supposedly. They will be tough to beat at home this year.

For some reason people on this site seem to think the only team that can improve is Nebraska, Northwestern will be better this year and Michigan State will improve. Will the Nebraska defense improve or stay the same is the main question for this program. Or can the Offense actually perform against a top program?

This is going to be a very interesting year. Some are expecting a tremendous amount from a bunch of kids on the defensive side.

Well we beat RGIII so I guess that's not a huge deal...

I would say UCLA showed our offense a tough game last year, Ohio State and Georgia, and then you might add Wisconsin. Scoring in those games were not dynamic when it was on the line. Yea lots of points, but if they can not keep pace with the other team, I would not call them imposing. That is not a knock against our offense, love Taylor and what Ameer did last year. Do I feel they are as good as what we face at Ohio State, Georgia or UCLA, no.

Yea and we beat Bama, and USC, and LSU and, oh living in the past.

I would say UCLA showed our offense a tough game last year, Ohio State and Georgia, and then you might add Wisconsin. Scoring in those games were not dynamic when it was on the line. Yea lots of points, but if they can not keep pace with the other team, I would not call them imposing. That is not a knock against our offense, love Taylor and what Ameer did last year. Do I feel they are as good as what we face at Ohio State, Georgia or UCLA, no.

Yea and we beat Bama, and USC, and LSU and, oh living in the past.

I don't think anyone could have expected our offense to keep up with OSU and Wisc in the CCG with the way they were scoring. Both of those games fall completely on the defense no questions asked.

I agree, but our offense was not this scoring juggernaut that some seem to think they were, now if Taylor is 100% this year like his freshman year, and they let him go, we might see that.

But when we faced a tough defense, we struggled some.