S Marquise Doherty [Missouri - Signed LOI]

No longer attending BRW but says he's still very interested in both football and baseball at NU. Plans to visit later this summer.

I'll be the one to say it....wonder if this is a calculated move by the coaches to allow Dale and Sunderland (sp?) to check us out and commit if they want too first.

I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist but something seems odd here. He has been set to come for some time but now has a different commitment that he supposedly can't get out of. And he can't come the following weekend because of a baseball commitment (which is probably legit). But it does seem odd that he's been on the list for some time and all of the sudden he has a conflict. Not that it couldn't be right, just odd.

But I'm not sure the coaches would handle it that way either so I don't know what to make of it.

You're probably right, just been thinking quite a bit on which how we are going to turn down a few good players. On a side note....how does the whole baseball/football scholarship thing work? Could two way players accept a baseball scholarship instead of a football one and it not count against us?
Baseball scholarships are only partial because they have 11.7 scholarships for up to ~22 players. Dual players get put on full scholarships from the 85 designated to football.

Technically, he could come in under a baseball scholarship. The second he stepped on the football field in a game though, he'd count against the 85. Considering the limited scholarships in baseball, this would never happen. He'd come in on a football ship from the start.

Technically, he could come in under a baseball scholarship. The second he stepped on the football field in a game though, he'd count against the 85. Considering the limited scholarships in baseball, this would never happen. He'd come in on a football ship from the start.

Works the same way with academic scholarship. We could get a really smart player in on an academic scholarship, but as soon as he hit the football field he would be a scholarship player on the 85.

Works the same way with academic scholarship. We could get a really smart player in on an academic scholarship, but as soon as he hit the football field he would be a scholarship player on the 85.
Are you 100% sure about that? Last I knew kids that come in on academic scholarships wouldn't count towards the limit.

Are you 100% sure about that? Last I knew kids that come in on academic scholarships wouldn't count towards the limit.

It's true. This is the reason that Todd Peterson couldn't take a Regents Scholarship. Otherwise people would just make up scholarships to exceed the 85 limit.

It's true. This is the reason that Todd Peterson couldn't take a Regents Scholarship. Otherwise people would just make up scholarships to exceed the 85 limit.

That's correct. I just wanted to add that the schollie only gets added to the 85 if the player is in an actual game. Can practice and be on the sidelines with a non-football schollie. I think (but am not sure) that the player can go back on the non-football schollie the next year until/unless the player gets on the field again.

My cousin played 97-01 on a full ride academic. He played CB behind Ralph Brown and was a walk on. Kept his academic and was not on football scholarship.

My cousin played 97-01 on a full ride academic. He played CB behind Ralph Brown and was a walk on. Kept his academic and was not on football scholarship.
Either they changed the rules, or your cousin didn't ever get on the field. Are you guys really going to make me go find this in the NCAA bylaws? Haha

• 2 weeks later...