Bo Pelini's Job Security Examined

Most fan bases in the nation would kill to know they could expect nine or 10 wins every year; unfortunately, Nebraska's is not one of them. I have personally been calling for Bo Pelini's job for more than a year now. It seems to me that he can coach, but he can't recruit (which, strangely, was the opposite problem of coach Bill Callahan before him). In my opinion, the Huskers have reached the apex of what they can be under Pelini. However, I seem to be in the minority on this one. Should Pelini be on the hot seat if he can't get Nebraska to a BCS game this year?

-- Ryan, Lincoln, Neb.

Ryan surely knows this joke already, but for those of you who don't know it: Have you heard they've changed the spelling of the Nebraska head coach's last name? It's now Bo PeLLLLini.

Pelini's case is truly unique. On one hand, his program is the model of consistency (it doesn't get much more consistent than 9-4, 10-4, 10-4, 9-4, 10-4 over the last five years), and it regularly competes for championships (three conference title game appearances in five seasons). Yet on the other, the Huskers have not taken that final step and actually won a trophy, and last year's 63-28 loss to Ohio State and, more notably, 70-31 Big Ten title game meltdown against Wisconsin sullied what otherwise should have been a commendable 10-2 regular season. The 2012 team did nothing to inspire confidence that the Pelini regime is making progress. In fact, it served as the latest reminder of just how far the once-vaunted Blackshirts have slipped since the spectacular Ndamukong Suh-led 2009 unit.

Nebraska is now the complete opposite of where it started under Pelini. Its offense, led by seemingly 18th-year quarterback Taylor Martinez, could well be the most explosive in the Big Ten this season. T-Magic quietly improved as a passer last season (62 percent completion rate, 2,871 passing yards), though he continued to be a turnover machine (20 combined interceptions and lost fumbles). He'll be surrounded by ample playmakers like receiver Kenny Bell and running back Ameer Abdullah. However, the defense, already so awful against the run last season (No. 90 nationally), returns just one starter up front. Pelini talked at Big Ten media days last week about his plans to utilize more three-man fronts and brought up juco defensive end Randy Gregory and several freshmen and redshirt freshmen as possible reinforcements. He's ever the optimist.

Nebraska is a legitimate conference title contender this year, and if the Huskers win the Big Ten, this whole topic becomes moot. However, if 2013 results in another nine-win, Capital One or Outback Bowl season, AD Shawn Eichorst may face a bit of a quandary. In most cases, a consistent nine-to-10 win coach should not be on the hot seat. Nebraska already made that mistake once with its handling of Frank Solich. Yet this is Nebraska -- as in, five-time national champion Nebraska.

The Huskers are a consistent Top 25 team, but they're still well behind the national elite. The program's NFL output has gradually dipped during Pelini's tenure. Personally, I don't have much confidence that he will ever lead Nebraska to national glory. If it hasn't happened in five years, it probably never will. I suspect many Huskers fans feel the same way but aren't yet ready to give up on a guy who runs a clean program and wins 71 percent of his games. I don't blame them. Let's see where Pelini stands in four months.

LINK

EDIT - just saw that the next question after this one was from Cedar Bluffs, NE. just 40 miles north of the Star City.

I seriously don't get this obsession with the idea that a first time head coach can't improve after the first x years. It took Dr Tom 20 years to win a MNC.

Firing Pelini would be the worst thing we could do for this program. At best we get another Calahan. Worse... I don't even want to think about it.

• Fire 4

That's just the thing. How long do we wait? On one hand we're certainly a long way from that 7-7 season. On the other hand for we're nowhere close to where this program used to be in terms of national prominence not necessarily in national championships and obviously we all want to get back there.

For me and this is just me. 2 more seasons. This and the next. Heck I'd take a top 15 finish at this point but where it stands now we're still not there yet nor does it feel like we're heading in that direction.

Most fan bases in the nation would kill to know they could expect nine or 10 wins every year; unfortunately, Nebraska's is not one of them. I have personally been calling for Bo Pelini's job for more than a year now. It seems to me that he can coach, but he can't recruit (which, strangely, was the opposite problem of coach Bill Callahan before him). In my opinion, the Huskers have reached the apex of what they can be under Pelini. However, I seem to be in the minority on this one. Should Pelini be on the hot seat if he can't get Nebraska to a BCS game this year?

-- Ryan, Lincoln, Neb.

Ryan surely knows this joke already, but for those of you who don't know it: Have you heard they've changed the spelling of the Nebraska head coach's last name? It's now Bo PeLLLLini.

Pelini's case is truly unique. On one hand, his program is the model of consistency (it doesn't get much more consistent than 9-4, 10-4, 10-4, 9-4, 10-4 over the last five years), and it regularly competes for championships (three conference title game appearances in five seasons). Yet on the other, the Huskers have not taken that final step and actually won a trophy, and last year's 63-28 loss to Ohio State and, more notably, 70-31 Big Ten title game meltdown against Wisconsin sullied what otherwise should have been a commendable 10-2 regular season. The 2012 team did nothing to inspire confidence that the Pelini regime is making progress. In fact, it served as the latest reminder of just how far the once-vaunted Blackshirts have slipped since the spectacular Ndamukong Suh-led 2009 unit.

Nebraska is now the complete opposite of where it started under Pelini. Its offense, led by seemingly 18th-year quarterback Taylor Martinez, could well be the most explosive in the Big Ten this season. T-Magic quietly improved as a passer last season (62 percent completion rate, 2,871 passing yards), though he continued to be a turnover machine (20 combined interceptions and lost fumbles). He'll be surrounded by ample playmakers like receiver Kenny Bell and running back Ameer Abdullah. However, the defense, already so awful against the run last season (No. 90 nationally), returns just one starter up front. Pelini talked at Big Ten media days last week about his plans to utilize more three-man fronts and brought up juco defensive end Randy Gregory and several freshmen and redshirt freshmen as possible reinforcements. He's ever the optimist.

Nebraska is a legitimate conference title contender this year, and if the Huskers win the Big Ten, this whole topic becomes moot. However, if 2013 results in another nine-win, Capital One or Outback Bowl season, AD Shawn Eichorst may face a bit of a quandary. In most cases, a consistent nine-to-10 win coach should not be on the hot seat. Nebraska already made that mistake once with its handling of Frank Solich. Yet this is Nebraska -- as in, five-time national champion Nebraska.

The Huskers are a consistent Top 25 team, but they're still well behind the national elite. The program's NFL output has gradually dipped during Pelini's tenure. Personally, I don't have much confidence that he will ever lead Nebraska to national glory. If it hasn't happened in five years, it probably never will. I suspect many Huskers fans feel the same way but aren't yet ready to give up on a guy who runs a clean program and wins 71 percent of his games. I don't blame them. Let's see where Pelini stands in four months.

LINK

EDIT - just saw that the next question after this one was from Cedar Bluffs, NE. just 40 miles north of the Star City.

Taylor Martinez thread in 3...2...1...

<insert comparison to Tom Osborne's first five years here>

Taking over for B2B national champs and Bob Devany: 5 top 10 finishes. 1 (shared) conference title, 2 major bowl appearances, 1 major bowl win.

Taking over for Bill Callahan: 0 top 10 finishes. 0 conference titles, 0 major bowl appearances.

Han-Solo-trollface-troll-star-wars-1300627027V-620x330.jpg

• Fire 3

Yep. I hope that I'm wrong . . . but I, too, would be surprised.

<insert comparison to Tom Osborne's first five years here>

Taking over for B2B national champs and Bob Devany: 5 top 10 finishes. 1 (shared) conference title, 2 major bowl appearances, 1 major bowl win.

Taking over for Bill Callahan: 0 top 10 finishes. 0 conference titles, 0 major bowl appearances.

Han-Solo-trollface-troll-star-wars-1300627027V-620x330.jpg

The Bill Callahan excuse went out of style after the 2011 season. You look very unfashionable right now.