Bo Pelini's Job Security Examined

If we were still in the Big 12 and our program was at around 9-10 wins and no conference title yet, I could see somewhat where the writer was coming from.

I was one of them, and I was wrong in thinking we would roll through the Big Ten with little issue. With the personel on the roster, and dealing with losing a guy that had something like 13? sacks the year before from the DT position the year before to injury, we did well our first year in The Big Ten having to prepare for a different opponent each week that we had never seen. Does anyone know how many linebackers we recruited between 08-10 before we knew we were going to the Big Ten? I remember off the top of my head 5? David, Compton, Fisher, Santos, Williams (left program) and Whaley???? I rewatched the 09 conference championship game the other night and at times we played with 7 DBs on the field. I believe we called it the diesal package. Anthony West would pick up Newton out of the backfield and was at times the only LB on the field. AND HE WASN'T A LB!!!! I remember looking at stats last year and IIRC, KSU was the only team that ran the football remotely close to as many times as any other BIG Team. I am happy with how rapidly the coaching staff has begun to shift the style of play and the defensive players we recruit to suit the football teams that we play. Our linebackers will be a strength in the years to come rather than a liability as they were last year.

The Big Ten is now really starting to pick up and the gap between our conference and the SEC is closing. Make no mistakes, the athletes were on the roster to beat Georgia last year guys. We had every opportunity to beat them as we did South Carolina the year before. Funny how each game turned with an Ameer fumble. What would be the feeling on this board had we beat Georgia? We would be talking MNC run. To further my point, NW beat an SEC team in their Bowl Game, Michigan had every chance to beat South Carolina, and the funny thing about this whole thing is that everybody was playing one bowl game up from where they should have been. In all actuality, our conferences best team was in the Club House come bowl season and another team in Penn State that would have been a tough draw for any team was doing the same.

I completely agree with Bo on his thoughts about the SEC. Bama is absolutely the best program in CFB currently, but lets not for one minute think that every team in that conference is Bama.

Agreed.

Well said. I think some of the perception problems comes from the timing of losses. I don't stand by coaches 100%, but it's hard to say Bo isn't doing a good enough job to keep his position. He still makes mistakes, like RSing too many guys last year. He also owns those mistakes, learns from them, and moves on.

Bo Pelini has to talk up the defense and remain optimistic about it.

How would you react if Bo just came out and said "Yea, our defensive line is gonna suck this year" ?

And thats just pretty much it. He hasn't done that. Its not like the year Carl and Bo (mostly Carl) were talking about how great the dline was and we stunk it up. He's not said much about them other they are young and athletic and they'll need to find guys who can play. He even called out VV at media days which is huge because that means the kid has huge upside and for those that know the two understand the motivation behind it. If you haven't noticed they are usually pretty quite about an area when they feel better about it. He's been pretty hush about things.

Was going to post something about Bo's little call outs. "We haven't had a playmaker there since Jared Crick."

If we were still in the Big 12 and our program was at around 9-10 wins and no conference title yet, I could see somewhat where the writer was coming from.

I was one of them, and I was wrong in thinking we would roll through the Big Ten with little issue. With the personel on the roster, and dealing with losing a guy that had something like 13? sacks the year before from the DT position the year before to injury, we did well our first year in The Big Ten having to prepare for a different opponent each week that we had never seen. Does anyone know how many linebackers we recruited between 08-10 before we knew we were going to the Big Ten? I remember off the top of my head 5? David, Compton, Fisher, Santos, Williams (left program) and Whaley???? I rewatched the 09 conference championship game the other night and at times we played with 7 DBs on the field. I believe we called it the diesal package. Anthony West would pick up Newton out of the backfield and was at times the only LB on the field. AND HE WASN'T A LB!!!! I remember looking at stats last year and IIRC, KSU was the only team that ran the football remotely close to as many times as any other BIG Team. I am happy with how rapidly the coaching staff has begun to shift the style of play and the defensive players we recruit to suit the football teams that we play. Our linebackers will be a strength in the years to come rather than a liability as they were last year.

The Big Ten is now really starting to pick up and the gap between our conference and the SEC is closing. Make no mistakes, the athletes were on the roster to beat Georgia last year guys. We had every opportunity to beat them as we did South Carolina the year before. Funny how each game turned with an Ameer fumble. What would be the feeling on this board had we beat Georgia? We would be talking MNC run. To further my point, NW beat an SEC team in their Bowl Game, Michigan had every chance to beat South Carolina, and the funny thing about this whole thing is that everybody was playing one bowl game up from where they should have been. In all actuality, our conferences best team was in the Club House come bowl season and another team in Penn State that would have been a tough draw for any team was doing the same.

I completely agree with Bo on his thoughts about the SEC. Bama is absolutely the best program in CFB currently, but lets not for one minute think that every team in that conference is Bama.

Agreed.

We need to stop doing this.

I guess the question is if Bo is ever fired from a 9 win season who is going to come in here and get over the hump? All these new coaches up and coming at other big schools are good coaches from slack MAC, WAC, and CUSA teams, or else coordinators promoted. I'm not sure we could get a great name in here without another 5 year transition. Maybe we really won't get back to where we need to be :/

Agreed.

We need to stop doing this.

Get a room

Agreed.

Well said.

I laughed.

Agreed.

Well said.

I laughed.

Agreed.

I think this speculation is moot.

I do not believe we are that far behind the Bama's of the World. Georgia was a good measuring stick and we did well through 3 1/2. If we can quit fornicating our self at key times during the games this season, who knows how far we can go! I know, maybe I am being optimistic but I waited, watched and wondered when we would break through during Tom's days as head coach and although he had more success (bowls and CCG wins) than Bo has so far (equal time frame), I believe we would be better off with keeping Bo for as long as it takes with 10 win seasons than too take a chance with a new hire (unless it was one of about 3 or 4 hot list coaches). :dunno

I think this speculation is moot.

I do not believe we are that far behind the Bama's of the World. Georgia was a good measuring stick and we did well through 3 1/2. If we can quit fornicating our self at key times during the games this season, who knows how far we can go! I know, maybe I am being optimistic but I waited, watched and wondered when we would break through during Tom's days as head coach and although he had more success (bowls and CCG wins) than Bo has so far (equal time frame), I believe we would be better off with keeping Bo for as long as it takes with 10 win seasons than too take a chance with a new hire (unless it was one of about 3 or 4 hot list coaches). :dunno

This.

And every year our athletes get better...

Once we actually win something, a CCG or BCS bowl level-game (not sure what the equivalent will be in the playoff format) then I think you'll see recruiting get a major boost with an infusion of even more speed.

• Fire 3

Looking back at the article... we finished 90th nationally against the run and only return one starter up front... shouldn't that be a reason for optimism? In my opinion we can only get better on the line.

The flaws in that logic are

1) The trend is downward

2) It might not be able to get much worse but we could stay around 90

3) It could get a lot better and still not be very good.

I seriously don't get this obsession with the idea that a first time head coach can't improve after the first x years. It took Dr Tom 20 years to win a MNC.

Firing Pelini would be the worst thing we could do for this program. At best we get another Calahan. Worse... I don't even want to think about it.

You missed an L in Callahan. Actually there are quite a few more L's in CaLLLLLLahan.

But yes, I agree firing Pelini would probably set us back to another Callahan or worse.