Taylor's Potential - We Need Fourth-Quarter Taylor in the First Quarter, Every Game

knapplc

Taylor has some pretty awesome moments, but if you read through what you wrote, and then do the exact same thing for the UCLA game - the script is almost identical. Only the outcome is VERY different and Beck is widely criticized for going full Watson. Same script, different outcome and he's brilliant. Show's how much trust he must have in Taylor - because I wouldn't think he'd go 12 essentially straight passes to end a game after what we saw at UCLA. But he did, and it worked that time.

When was that sequence in the NW game when we converted a 3rd and 10, got called for holding, converted a 3rd and 18 or so, got called for another penalty, and still almost converted a 3rd and nearly 30? I know it was pretty late. Maybe it was right before the comeback began.

It was the first drive of the 4th quarter, and I was just going to bring it up (surprised knapp didn't mention it). That sequence was actually the moment in my head where I thought, "Okay. Taylor Martinez has grown up and is going to win this game for us."

If I remember it right (I'm at work so I can't watch it), it went like this:

3rd and 14 - Taylor drops back, protection sucks, he looks to take off running, runs into a NW player, shakes him and pulls it back scrambling to the left, stiff-arms another defender to the ground and throws what would have been a first down completion if not for pass interference. However, we had a penalty as well and then a sideline interference penalty.

3rd and 19 - Taylor has to scramble for his life again, and finds Jamal Turner for another gutsy first down on 3rd and long, only to have it called back due to illegal formation.

3rd and 24 - Taylor threw a pretty decent ball to Kenny Bell but it was incomplete.

Even though the result of the drive was a punt, it showed me how far Taylor had come and how he was capable of winning games, even if it was despite his team and not with the help of them.

It was the first drive of the 4th quarter, and I was just going to bring it up (surprised knapp didn't mention it).

Taylor really played well throughout the game, bulling his way for first downs and running tough. He most definitely set the tone for the offense, but I was lazy and didn't want to describe the whole game, so I highlighted our last two scoring drives.

That illegal formation was called against Andrew Rodriguez, who was - again - lined up off the ball because he was supposed to go into pass-pro on the play. The TV announcers mentioned something about that in a 2011 game, said it was a dead giveaway that he was either pulling or going to pass-pro. It always baffled me that the coaches didn't fix this, or if it was by design, that they didn't get flagged for it more often. Because he did it nearly every such play for two years.

I really liked the QB sweeps we ran in that game. Was kind of disappointed we didn't seem more of it throughout the rest of the season.

That's an interesting play. It tries to capitalize on fast-pursuing defenses, but in order to work it relies on strong backside blocking. If we're talking about the same play, it's the one where Taylor's in the shotgun (or pistol - can't remember) with a running back to either side. He gets the snap, takes his first step to the right while both RBs break left, then Taylor turns and follows them as lead blockers.

With Imani and a strong blocking TE on the play side that could be a big gainer for us. The one time I specifically recall that play in the NW game we got five or six yards.

That Northwestern game was a crazy game. Every time Nebraska seemed to gain momentum (with a sustained drive or 3 and out by the D) there was a mistake to stop everything. In the first half, there were 2 fumbled punts (one that gave NW a short field for a TD) in the first half, and another fumble at NW's 22 yard line. In the 2nd half, NW had the long run to jump out to a 2-score lead, and NU was fighting from behind the rest of the game.

I was very impressed with the way the D hung in there for most of the game, and with the way TMart and the WR's responded in the passing game. Enunwa was a stud that game. He was a great target down the middle at the end of the game.

The thing that hurt the NU offense last year was inconsistency. It caused NU to fall behind big against Wisky, NW, MSU, and Penn State. That inconsistency also led to a poor 2nd half against UCLA. The offense potential is very high if the mistakes (penalties and turnovers) are cleaned up.

I really liked the QB sweeps we ran in that game. Was kind of disappointed we didn't seem more of it throughout the rest of the season.

That's an interesting play. It tries to capitalize on fast-pursuing defenses, but in order to work it relies on strong backside blocking. If we're talking about the same play, it's the one where Taylor's in the shotgun (or pistol - can't remember) with a running back to either side. He gets the snap, takes his first step to the right while both RBs break left, then Taylor turns and follows them as lead blockers.

With Imani and a strong blocking TE on the play side that could be a big gainer for us. The one time I specifically recall that play in the NW game we got five or six yards.

Yep that's the one. I think Taylor also made a nice throw on the run off of it - for a 1st down.

Yep that's the one. I think Taylor also made a nice throw on the run off of it - for a 1st down.

Now that you mention it, I remember that, too. For a guy who's not a natural QB he's made impressive strides in his skill set. I don't buy in to Bo's statement that Taylor could be an NFL QB, but for college he's just fine.