Wisconsin's New Red Helmet: They are finally trying to stop looking like Nebraska

The Duke

It appears new Wisconsin coach Gary Andersen is trying to put his own stamp on the Wisconsin football program. Sports Illustrated is reporting that Wisconsin will unveil new red helmets for at least one game, and maybe more this season. The article can be found here http://college-footb...s/?sct=cf_t2_a7

Here is a picture of Wisconsin's new helmet:

new-wisconsin-badgers-helmets-570x420.png

Personally, I am overjoyed by this move because for far too long, at least since Barry Alvarez took over Wisconsin, I thought their uniforms were vastly similar to Nebraska's. Need proof...see below:

Nebraska Home Uniforms

rex.jpg

...compared to Wisconsin's Home uniforms

ncf_u_monteeball_cmg_600.jpg

The changing of their helmets is a step in the right direction. Now if they would only actually wear their correct school colors.

Wisconsin's red color is actually supposed to be "Cardinal Red" like the one on the left. Nebraska's "Scarlet Red" is on the right.

B6212D.pngFF1A00.png

• Fire 1

It appears new Wisconsin coach Gary Andersen is trying to put his own stamp on the Wisconsin football program. Sports Illustrated is reporting that Wisconsin will unveil new red helmets for at least one game, and maybe more this season. The article can be found here http://college-footb...s/?sct=cf_t2_a7

Personally, I am overjoyed by this move because for far too long, at least since Barry Alvarez took over Wisconsin, I thought their uniforms were vastly similar to Nebraska's. Need proof...see below:

Nebraska Home Uniforms

rex.jpg

The changing of their helmets is a step in the right direction. Now if they would only actually wear their correct school colors.

Wisconsin's red color is actually supposed to be "Cardinal Red" like the one on the left. Nebraska's "Scarlet Red" is on the right.

B6212D.pngFF1A00.png

The scarlet red seems brighter than our uniforms. Way brighter. :lol:

Nebraska Home Uniforms

rex.jpg

B6212D.pngFF1A00.png

All depends on lighting.

4cf6784c7065c.preview-300.jpg

50592f76db6f3.preview-300.jpg

Nebraska Home Uniforms

rex.jpg

B6212D.pngFF1A00.png

All depends on lighting.

I agree with you that lighting does really effect what these two red colors truly are. If you go look at Wisconsin's history though, their red color should actually be more of a subtle maroon color than what they have been wearing for the past few decades.

However, when doing some research on the helmets of these two programs I actually learned something new today. I always thought Wisconsin was copying Nebraska's iconic helmets with the red stripe, and red facemask. But in reality, at least according to this website http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/ (you'll have to scroll down a ways) it was Wisconsin who had the first white helmet, red stripe, red facemask back in 1978. (Most likely not the first in college football, but they were before Nebraska). Nebraska switched to their now iconic helmet on January 1st, 1982 for the Orange Bowl game against Clemson.

Either way, I actually like this new red helmet for Wisconsin, and I hope they would consider making it their new primary helmet.

Nebraska Home Uniforms

rex.jpg

B6212D.pngFF1A00.png

All depends on lighting.

I agree with you that lighting does really effect what these two red colors truly are. If you go look at Wisconsin's history though, their red color should actually be more of a subtle maroon color than what they have been wearing for the past few decades.

However, when doing some research on the helmets of these two programs I actually learned something new today. I always thought Wisconsin was copying Nebraska's iconic helmets with the red stripe, and red facemask. But in reality, at least according to this website http://www.nationalc...Helmet_Project/ (you'll have to scroll down a ways) it was Wisconsin who had the first white helmet, red stripe, red facemask back in 1978. (Most likely not the first in college football, but they were before Nebraska). Nebraska switched to their now iconic helmet on January 1st, 1982 for the Orange Bowl game against Clemson.

Either way, I actually like this new red helmet for Wisconsin, and I hope they would consider making it their new primary helmet.

I think the 1970 NC team had a white helmet and red stripe... but silver face mask.

Nebraska Home Uniforms

rex.jpg

B6212D.pngFF1A00.png

All depends on lighting.

However, when doing some research on the helmets of these two programs I actually learned something new today. I always thought Wisconsin was copying Nebraska's iconic helmets with the red stripe, and red facemask. But in reality, at least according to this website http://www.nationalc...Helmet_Project/ (you'll have to scroll down a ways) it was Wisconsin who had the first white helmet, red stripe, red facemask back in 1978. (Most likely not the first in college football, but they were before Nebraska). Nebraska switched to their now iconic helmet on January 1st, 1982 for the Orange Bowl game against Clemson.

I think the 1970 NC team had a white helmet and red stripe... but silver face mask.

That is correct. And actually Nebraska started using the red stripe in 1966. Wisconsin did not start using their double red stripes on their helmets until 1978.