Know the Foe: Brett Smith

It's funny how different fan bases look at their players. A comparison of Brett Smith and Taylor Martinez from 2012:

SOS Faced

Smith - 101

Martinez - 20

QB Rating

Smith - 157.7

Martinez - 141.6

Passing Yards

Smith - 2,837

Martinez - 2,871

Touchdowns Passing

Smith - 27

Martinez - 23

Interceptions Thrown

Smith - 6

Martinez - 12

Completion Percentage

Smith - 62%

Martinez - 62%

Top 30 Pass Defenses Faced

Smith - 2

Martinez - 6

Record Against Top 30

Smith - 0-2

Martinez - 4-2

So, against drastically stronger competition, Martinez threw for more yards, has a better record and the same completion percentage, but a slightly lower TD total, QB Rating and threw double the interceptions.

The funny thing is, while these numbers are pretty similar, a sizable portion of Nebraska's fans don't like Martinez and never will, while just about all of Wyoming's fans believe Smith could be a Heisman contender on a better team.

• Fire 6

Kind of worrisome that in an article praising him for his off-season work and looking ahead to 2013 that one of the main points they made was that Smith is concussion-prone.

We've got a few rush ends who may - according to Fall Camp hype - be able to crash the pocket pretty quickly on Smith. I would hate to see him get hurt.

Virginian - can you tell us more about this? How big of a worry are concussions for Smith?

Does anyone know why football helmets are designed with hard shells and inflexible padding? It seem like a soft shell and spongy padding (like a baseball helmet) would limit the ability to hurt someone with the helmet, while also reducing the blow to the head when you get hit.

It's funny how different fan bases look at their players. A comparison of Brett Smith and Taylor Martinez from 2012:

SOS Faced

Smith - 101

Martinez - 20

QB Rating

Smith - 157.7

Martinez - 141.6

Passing Yards

Smith - 2,837

Martinez - 2,871

Touchdowns Passing

Smith - 27

Martinez - 23

Interceptions Thrown

Smith - 6

Martinez - 12

Completion Percentage

Smith - 62%

Martinez - 62%

Top 30 Pass Defenses Faced

Smith - 2

Martinez - 6

Record Against Top 30

Smith - 0-2

Martinez - 4-2

So, against drastically stronger competition, Martinez threw for more yards, has a better record and the same completion percentage, but a slightly lower TD total, QB Rating and threw double the interceptions.

The funny thing is, while these numbers are pretty similar, a sizable portion of Nebraska's fans don't like Martinez and never will, while just about all of Wyoming's fans believe Smith could be a Heisman contender on a better team.

Just for clarity you may mention that Smith missed like three games

Kind of worrisome that in an article praising him for his off-season work and looking ahead to 2013 that one of the main points they made was that Smith is concussion-prone.

We've got a few rush ends who may - according to Fall Camp hype - be able to crash the pocket pretty quickly on Smith. I would hate to see him get hurt.

Virginian - can you tell us more about this? How big of a worry are concussions for Smith?

Does anyone know why football helmets are designed with hard shells and inflexible padding? It seem like a soft shell and spongy padding (like a baseball helmet) would limit the ability to hurt someone with the helmet, while also reducing the blow to the head when you get hit.

they were concerned with skull fractures, not realizing that the real threat is the brain slamming into the skull.

Just for clarity you may mention that Smith missed like three games

Just for clarity, it was 2 and one of those games your Wyoming team lost to Cal Poly...

really, so the first game our best player missed we lost, thanks for the reminder.

All I was saying was Smiths stats were from 10 games

how many games are included in Martinezs stats.

on second thought look at the stats however you like.

Just don't Start the Fire Pelini thread when Smith puts a few yards pn your defense.

(Disclaimer: in no way am I predicting a Wyo win. I am also not predicting the Heisman for Smith)

I'm not sure what this was in response to, but isn't it fair to point out that one guy plays for Nebraska and another plays for Wyoming? Granted I have no idea how good Smith really is.