Taylor Martinez opens up

knapplc

I've always felt Martinez was one of the best players on our team, and I still feel this way. He has exceptional speed, clearly put the work in to become a better passer and always played hard. Even with the fumbling issues, he's a damn good player.

He'll go down as one of the best quarterbacks in Nebraska history. A lot of that has to do with being a four year starter and racking up the stats, but he's a phenomenal player in my eyes. And we've never lost a game due to him. Sure, he had his bad games, but he's also played with some monumental challenges. 2012 was the first year I thought he had a respectable offensive line. 2012 and 2011 were plagued by average-to-poor defensive play. 2010 was marred with injury and a fickle offense across the board.

If Martinez had been surrounded by a better team from the beginning, his legacy probably would have been filled with some conference trophies and maybe even serious Heisman consideration beyond his freshman year. Such is not the case, which is too bad. I've always felt for the guy, and I can't wait to see what he does this year.

He truly is a spectacular Husker.

Zach Taylor gets a lot of credit for holding N together during some rocky years. Deservedly so.

But the fact Bo has stuck by Martin-ez for 4 straight years, basically saying "we will be with him no matter what" deserves a lot of kudos, even more than ZT.

How many dozens of position swithces has there been all over the 2-deep? Yet with TM, for better or worse, he has been our guy while Bo and the staff has figured a lot else out.

After TM got hurt agaisnt mizzery and still showed up every week (putting aside his future health. Heisman hype, etc) and just balled out--I've been a huge fan of his and knew he was our guy leading Bo to his next 5 yrs--which to me are important than the 1st five.

I put TM into my top 7 players last 15 years EASY.

Well to be honest, Bo really didn't have a choice since all of our back-ups didn't really size up to what they should have been.

That is simply not true. WE had a healthy Zac Lee who would have been more than adequate. Bo went off on a tangent and he screwed the OC at the same time. I guess you missed the Holiday Bowl.

Zach Taylor gets a lot of credit for holding N together during some rocky years. Deservedly so.

But the fact Bo has stuck by Martin-ez for 4 straight years, basically saying "we will be with him no matter what" deserves a lot of kudos, even more than ZT.

How many dozens of position swithces has there been all over the 2-deep? Yet with TM, for better or worse, he has been our guy while Bo and the staff has figured a lot else out.

After TM got hurt agaisnt mizzery and still showed up every week (putting aside his future health. Heisman hype, etc) and just balled out--I've been a huge fan of his and knew he was our guy leading Bo to his next 5 yrs--which to me are important than the 1st five.

I put TM into my top 7 players last 15 years EASY.

Well to be honest, Bo really didn't have a choice since all of our back-ups didn't really size up to what they should have been.

That is simply not true. WE had a healthy Zac Lee who would have been more than adequate. Bo went off on a tangent and he screwed the OC at the same time. I guess you missed the Holiday Bowl.

Fun fact:

Naysayers will claim Taylor's stats are only due to volume of games played.... well, to date he has only played one more game than Eric Crouch (including MU, A&M, ISU and OU with a bum leg).

Bad example.

Look at this guy.

We were not winning that 2010 Holiday Bowl. If you knew anything about sports or every played competitive sports, you would know that the team packed it in after the Big 12 championship game. That was there goal, and a BSC game. Not some second tier bowl game against a team you already beat by 40 point 3 months ago at a game you were just at 12 months ago. They did not want to be there. Bo did not throw the holiday bowl. The whole program did, including the AD, coaches, fans, water boys, and secretaries. NOBODY CARED. And yet we still only lost by 12.

And what screwing of the OC are you referring to? You mean that one he refused to fire and kept on until he found another job instead of just kickin him to the curb to fend for himself? That one? Sure sure. Ok.

I was wondering how Watson was screwed by Bo. Bo let him have his job for 3 years longer than most fans thought he should. Yes, it was Bo who named TMart the QB, but Watson had no idea how to use him. Bo had a clear vision of how he wanted his offense to operate, and Watson couldn't deliver that vision. The OC works for the HC, not vice versa.

I was wondering how Watson was screwed by Bo. Bo let him have his job for 3 years longer than most fans thought he should. Yes, it was Bo who named TMart the QB, but Watson had no idea how to use him. Bo had a clear vision of how he wanted his offense to operate, and Watson couldn't deliver that vision. The OC works for the HC, not vice versa.

I think I get what you're saying here, but I think a better way to say it is to say Watson's offensive philosophy is just different than Bo's. Neither is right or wrong and both can succeed at the highest levels in college ball. They're just on different pages.

Watson (and Gilmore) provided that stabilizing link between the Callahan regime and the Bo regime, just like Turner did after Frank was let go. You keep those guys on for a year or two so the kids have that little bit of continuity during the change, and then they move on, too.

Nobody's the good guy or the bad guy in that situation and Watson most certainly did not get screwed. Watson knew from day one what system Bo wanted to run and could have learned it and ran it here. He didn't HAVE TO be here any more than Bo HAD TO keep him or fire him.