Post Game Wyoming Tweets

Nobody

It's the same problem we had with Eric Martin. Martin could slice through most OTs and get into the backfield on most every play, but that's not what he was allowed to do. He had to create the containment pocket with the rest of the line most of the time, and that simply doesn't play to his strength.

I want you to go watch Eric Martin specifically in the play that Dennard Robinson got hurt.

I want you to go read the quote you responded to, specifically the part I highlighted in bold, underlined, italics, red, and made bigger so it's more difficulter to miss.

One play does not disprove a trend. It is Bo's defense, and it has been since at least the VA Tech game in Blacksburg.

After you've gotten what I'm on about there, go watch Michigan's game against Western Michigan. Three down linemen against a five-man front and two seconds after the snap, the Chippewa QB has pressure in his face. Why? Because Hoke's scheme allows his D Linemen to put pressure on the QB. Bo's doesn't, lately against even immobile QBs.

Rewatch the game and honestly tell me we didn't get pressure with our front four. Comparing our game against Wyo to Michigan's against a terrible Central Michigan team is laughable.

I'm not worried about really anything on defense but the LBs. we rolled the pocket plenty of times and got to the QB, just didnt make the plays we need to.

Yes and no. We brought pressure against Smith quite a bit. He was able to side-step a lot of it. He had a brilliant game, so have to give him credit for a lot of that. Aside from Gregory's sack and Mitchell's hit on the two-point conversion try, Smith was able to elude pass rushers by a hair several times.

Had he been just a touch off, slow by less than half a step on about seven-eight plays, that would have been a very different game.

I agree. Pelini said we are going to get the personnel in there that can get the quarterback to the ground. We were in position to do so a few times and didn't get it done.

So Pelini is using the excuse that the most athletic players are on the bench? Wasn't this the excuse last year? If we can't get a sack against Wyoming what is going to happen in BIG play? Seven or 8 replays of the CCG if something doesn't change in this passive scheme.

These games are when we need to empty the bench of the "better, more athletic" kids and get them experience prior to conference play. IMHO, the Fresh and younger kids played better than some of the seniors on D.

Stay tuned to the battles at LB and DE.

Steven M. Sipple@HuskerExtraSip3m

Ameer Abdullah addressed team right after Saturday's game. Gist of his message: #Huskers didn't play up to their standards. Ameer is leader.

Good to hear...

Love seeing this!!! Leaders need to let everyone know what is expected. Just think what the Peter bros or Wistrom, Tomich etc would have been "saying" to the team. Expectations on the team should be high and they need to know games like Wyo aren't acceptable.

Why do people use Martinez as a reason we should blitz more? The team that blitzes the most in the B1G is MSU, and TM had 365 yards of offense against them.

Read-and-react works sometimes and not at others. Blitzing works sometimes and gets burned others. There's no simple answer or there'd be no reason to argue over defenses.

The only real problem I had with the defense last night was the missed tackles (AGAIN!!!!) and letting Wyoming run up the middle on us. We held on to some interceptions finally, and that made a really big difference.

• Fire 1
Why do people use Martinez as a reason we should blitz more? The team that blitzes the most in the B1G is MSU, and TM had 365 yards of offense against them.

Read-and-react works sometimes and not at others. Blitzing works sometimes and gets burned others. There's no simple answer or there'd be no reason to argue over defenses.

The only real problem I had with the defense last night was the missed tackles (AGAIN!!!!) and letting Wyoming run up the middle on us. We held on to some interceptions finally, and that made a really big difference.

I don't know about us blitzing more. Yea we could blitz more but not a whole lot. My comments are more directed toward not even allowing the front four to get after it.

I don't know about us blitzing more. Yea we could blitz more but not a whole lot. My comments are more directed toward not even allowing the front four to get after it.

Ok, that's similar in philosophy - turning guys loose to attack vs reading and keeping the play in front of you. Pelini has said many times that he'd prefer to make the offense earn it's yards and usually it's hard to not make a mistake in a long drive. Basically, preventing the big play. Attacking defenses try to force mistakes but tend to give up more big plays as a result. High risk, high reward. If one was obviously better than the other, we wouldn't we discussing it. I think a mix is the right approach, depending on personnel and opponent. But that requires the dreaded "multiple" defense.

It's the same problem we had with Eric Martin. Martin could slice through most OTs and get into the backfield on most every play, but that's not what he was allowed to do. He had to create the containment pocket with the rest of the line most of the time, and that simply doesn't play to his strength.

I want you to go watch Eric Martin specifically in the play that Dennard Robinson got hurt.

I want you to go read the quote you responded to, specifically the part I highlighted in bold, underlined, italics, red, and made bigger so it's more difficulter to miss.

One play does not disprove a trend. It is Bo's defense, and it has been since at least the VA Tech game in Blacksburg.

After you've gotten what I'm on about there, go watch Michigan's game against Western Michigan. Three down linemen against a five-man front and two seconds after the snap, the Chippewa QB has pressure in his face. Why? Because Hoke's scheme allows his D Linemen to put pressure on the QB. Bo's doesn't, lately against even immobile QBs.

Rewatch the game and honestly tell me we didn't get pressure with our front four. Comparing our game against Wyo to Michigan's against a terrible Central Michigan team is laughable.

I'm not worried about really anything on defense but the LBs. we rolled the pocket plenty of times and got to the QB, just didnt make the plays we need to.

Agreed. If we can collapse the pocket and create pressure with the front 4 like we did against Wyo, we should be fine. There will not be a better QB we face that can evade pressure and throw on the run like Brett Smith. The margin for error on many of his throws was very low. Miller, if we ever play them, will be very tough to contain running wise, but he is for everyone. I also agree about the LBs. Santos didn't have a great game. It will be interesting to see what Zaire Anderson and Afalava bring to the table.

Remember 3 years ago when South Dakota St came in here, gashed our D with a power running game and then we had to go play Kstate down there, and the sky was falling here for a few days? Everyone was worried what that Kstate back was gonna do. Well, what happened. Bo has a proven track record of getting teams prepared very well to respond to these situations. I'm gonna take the less stressful approach and just sit back and have a little patience.

Your tone is patronizing bro. Its as if you're suggesting that it's ok to hang around with a team like Wyoming the way that we did. We aren't elite now and we weren't elite then. No matter how much hype that K State got before that game, they still got trounced by us... and then proceeded to get beat by Baylor, AND okie state, AND Misery, AND Colorado AND Syracuse. Big deal, we beat K state. It's a sh**ty win, let's not try and spray perfume on the pig.

My goodness. You really have no clue of the point I was making.

Let me try again. We were all in panic mode cuz our defense couldnt stop the run of a 1-AA team. Then we got to work over the week and got the job done. Youre nitpickin the competition and bla bla and whatever the hell else your trying to do. All I'm doing is comparing situations and saying that a lot can change and get better in a week.

By the way. What does patronizing even mean?

I agree. I for one think that one of the most underrated attributes of a championship team is their ability to get better each week. It just feels like the ceiling isn't as high as some of us had hoped. I'm not here to talk about my stance before the season... but let's just say i'm not as crushed by what I saw against wyo as others are.

Central Michigan is better than Wyoming. Zerlon Tipton will be drafted by the 3rd round.

If NU had MSU's defense last year we would have been ranked in the top 5.

Yes and no. We brought pressure against Smith quite a bit. He was able to side-step a lot of it. He had a brilliant game, so have to give him credit for a lot of that. Aside from Gregory's sack and Mitchell's hit on the two-point conversion try, Smith was able to elude pass rushers by a hair several times.

Had he been just a touch off, slow by less than half a step on about seven-eight plays, that would have been a very different game.

Had Mitchell not missed the tackle, and Cooper the next on back-to-back plays in the fourth quarter, Wyoming likely doesn't score that last-second TD.

Here's something else that baffled me - anyone with the game recorded, go back and check how many times we ran misdirection, or any line stunts on defense.

When people talk about Nebraska playing "vanilla" in that game, it's an understatement. There was ZERO subterfuge on our side of the ball Saturday night. Bo and Beck clearly felt we could line up and show them absolutely nothing, yet still win the game. They were right - but just barely.

We're well past the days when we can take any opponent lightly. We very clearly took Wyoming lightly. We do that too often, then appear surprised when the opponent doesn't just lay down at the feet of the Mighty Huskers.

Nearly cost us this game.

+1. Wyoming was better than the coaches, and the fans thought. That was obivious very early in the game. I'm getting tired of the "saving stuff for so-and-so". Why not show it and work on it in a real game situation so that you are better at it when it comes time to face Team X?

• Fire 1