Bo Pelini Turnovers in Big Games

Nobody

Didn't we have quite a few turnovers during Osborne's tenure? Especially running the option in the 70s and 80s. I don't think we had as many fumbles running the option in the 90s. But I'm not sure where you can look up fumble stats.

Didn't we have quite a few turnovers during Osborne's tenure? Especially running the option in the 70s and 80s. I don't think we had as many fumbles running the option in the 90s. But I'm not sure where you can look up fumble stats.

Fumble stats are easy to find. Fumble stats for individual players don't exist as far as I can find pre-2003ish.

teamrankings.com has fumble stats for players but it only counts FBS vs. FBS games.

Fumble stats are easy to find. Fumble stats for individual players don't exist as far as I can find pre-2003ish.

teamrankings.com has fumble stats for players but it only counts FBS vs. FBS games.

I know I've run across old historical fumble stats before. Just can't find them right now.

/ I blame my wife. Because I always blame her when I can't find something. Somehow she moved that url to a new location and didn't tell me. :lol:

There's always been an interesting balance between telling your players to do something and actually getting them to do it. Maybe it comes down to recruiting better, maybe the coaches just can't get the best message across... I'm not sure.

I'm reminded of our bowl game against South Carolina. IIRC, there was a deep pass touchdown where Alshon Jeffrey got behind our safeties. I believe the coaches were quoted sometime after the game as saying just before that play, they specifically told the players what to do to prevent the big play. The players just flat out didn't do it, and it had nothing to do with athleticism or Jeffrey being too good. The players were out of position after specifically being told where and what to do.

With fumbles, I also wonder where that disconnect comes from. I'm less inclined to think it's coaching when I hear about the emphasis placed on it or Ron Brown's "pledge of allegiance" philosophy when running the football. Fumbles haven't been an issue yet this year but Saturday will certainly be a benchmark for how the team has responded to the increased emphasis on turnovers.

I think it has more to do with Bo is afraid to sit anyone. Look at 2010 When Martinez got hurt. We had a capable back up in Lee and rather than sitting Martinez for the rest of year(or let him heal) and letting Lee play he risked further injury to Martinez than to sit him and happened again in the Wyoming game. Hell all we had to do in the Wyoming game was run the ball on their defense and we win comfortably. He doesn't seem too concerned about the health of his players.

There's always been an interesting balance between telling your players to do something and actually getting them to do it. Maybe it comes down to recruiting better, maybe the coaches just can't get the best message across... I'm not sure.

I'm reminded of our bowl game against South Carolina. IIRC, there was a deep pass touchdown where Alshon Jeffrey got behind our safeties. I believe the coaches were quoted sometime after the game as saying just before that play, they specifically told the players what to do to prevent the big play. The players just flat out didn't do it, and it had nothing to do with athleticism or Jeffrey being too good. The players were out of position after specifically being told where and what to do.

With fumbles, I also wonder where that disconnect comes from. I'm less inclined to think it's coaching when I hear about the emphasis placed on it or Ron Brown's "pledge of allegiance" philosophy when running the football. Fumbles haven't been an issue yet this year but Saturday will certainly be a benchmark for how the team has responded to the increased emphasis on turnovers.

I think it has more to do with Bo is afraid to sit anyone. Look at 2010 When Martinez got hurt. We had a capable back up in Lee and rather than sitting Martinez for the rest of year(or let him heal) and letting Lee play he risked further injury to Martinez than to sit him and happened again in the Wyoming game. Hell all we had to do in the Wyoming game was run the ball on their defense and we win comfortably. He doesn't seem too concerned about the health of his players.

Swing and a miss.

• Fire 1

Swing and a miss.

is that what happens when you are up to bat?

Martinez obviously turns the ball over too much and seems to be the main culprit. But we also seem to turn the ball over a lot as a team. Coaching is a part of that. And I'm not sure why some take such offense when people point out that turnovers are a problem or question why Pelini and his staff have been unable to take care of that problem.

• Fire 2

Swing and a miss.

Or make a stupid comment.

Coming into his senior campaign, there are few Nebraska fans who are unaware of Martinez's biggest problem—he has been a turnover machine. Take a look at Martinez's career turnover numbers:

Year

Fumbles*

Fumbles Lost*

Interceptions*

2**

Total

* Fumble stats from teamrankings.com, which compiles statistics only from games between FBS opponents. Interception stats from cfbstats.com.

** 2011 fumble stats are derived from a game-by-game review of box scores. That number is remarkable in itself, in that Martinez had thirteen fumbles and lost only two. Talk about whistling past the graveyard.

http://m.bleacherrep...-scouts-in-2013

Ok so give me the numbers that show fumbles from him getting hit in the pocket on his blindside versus him fumbling downfield, otherwise those numbers are pointless.

Has Bo ever thrown a touchdown pass? Ran for a touchdown? Made an interception? Made a tackle?

Let's base his success on his on the field results. His offense has been quite atrocious, averaging 0 yards per game and 0.0 points per game. Although you could argue he hasn't had a fair shake, averaging only 0.0 carries and 0.0 pass attempts per game

His defense, on the other hand, has been phenomenal, giving up just 0 yards and 0.0 points per game.

I think it's fair to say it's been a mixed bag so far, and we're going to have to wait for more numbers to come in to make a clear judgment.

• Fire 1

Swing and a miss.

whatever.

Eventually, I don't think 9 wins will be enough for the fan base. The turnovers are one of a couple major issues that have been prevalent in recent years, and as the data shows, NU loses the turnover battle significantly more times than win it in big games. Now, some of those games were certainly against better teams, but there are several games against teams of equal or lesser value where NU still loses the battle.

I think Nebraska has a standard of at least winning conference titles. If that doesn't change for Pelini soon, we could see the program go in a different direction.

Not to derail the thread too much, of course.

Is a 9 win season that impressive if 5 of those wins are against Wyoming, Southern Miss, S. Dakota State, Minnesota, and Iowa? Virtually any mid-to-upper mid-level major conference team goes undefeated against that. Heck... even Purdue is fairly mediocre. 9 wins when half are against fish is not that impressive. And yes... if that is all that continues to be produced and no championships of any sort are won (especially coupled with blow-out losses to good teams) --- it will doubtless leave no choice but to go in another direction.

Eventually, I don't think 9 wins will be enough for the fan base. The turnovers are one of a couple major issues that have been prevalent in recent years, and as the data shows, NU loses the turnover battle significantly more times than win it in big games. Now, some of those games were certainly against better teams, but there are several games against teams of equal or lesser value where NU still loses the battle.

I think Nebraska has a standard of at least winning conference titles. If that doesn't change for Pelini soon, we could see the program go in a different direction.

Not to derail the thread too much, of course.

Is a 9 win season that impressive if 5 of those wins are against Wyoming, Southern Miss, S. Dakota State, Minnesota, and Iowa? Virtually any mid-to-upper mid-level major conference team goes undefeated against that. Heck... even Purdue is fairly mediocre. 9 wins when half are against fish is not that impressive. And yes... if that is all that continues to be produced and no championships of any sort are won (especially coupled with blow-out losses to good teams) --- it will doubtless leave no choice but to go in another direction.

You could say the same thing about many of the seasons in the 80s. We played OU and then every once in a while CU or Mizzou would get strong. Maybe we played one good OOC team. Other than that, the schedule was full of KU, KSU, ISU, OSU (all of which were pathetic back then).

Swing and a miss.

whatever.

111tloz.jpg

Every other school plays a comparable schedule and group of teams. Yet somehow we're one of the few that can keep winning consistently. Why?