Bo Pelini Turnovers in Big Games

Nobody

So, if we are comparing stats here. We have won 17 of our last 18 home games against non-conference games, and have won 10 straight home games.

Western Michigan - W

San Jose State - W

New Mexico St - W

Virginia Tech - L

Fla. Atlantic - W

Arkansas St - W

LA-Lafayette - W

Western Kent. - W

Idaho - W

SDSU - W

UT-Chatt. - W

Fresno St - W

Washington - W

Wyoming - W

Southern Miss - W

Arkansas St. - W

Idaho St. - W

Wyoming - W

Southern Miss - W

UCLA - ?

Starting in 2011 with a win over Iowa we have won 10 straight home games.

Wins in order:

Iowa, Southern Miss, Arkansas St, Idaho St, Wisconsin, Michigan, Penn St, Minnesota, Wyoming, Southern Miss.

Also this is the first time since winning 26 straight 1998 to 2002 that we have won 10 straight home games.

There's always been an interesting balance between telling your players to do something and actually getting them to do it. Maybe it comes down to recruiting better, maybe the coaches just can't get the best message across... I'm not sure.

I'm reminded of our bowl game against South Carolina. IIRC, there was a deep pass touchdown where Alshon Jeffrey got behind our safeties. I believe the coaches were quoted sometime after the game as saying just before that play, they specifically told the players what to do to prevent the big play. The players just flat out didn't do it, and it had nothing to do with athleticism or Jeffrey being too good. The players were out of position after specifically being told where and what to do.

With fumbles, I also wonder where that disconnect comes from. I'm less inclined to think it's coaching when I hear about the emphasis placed on it or Ron Brown's "pledge of allegiance" philosophy when running the football. Fumbles haven't been an issue yet this year but Saturday will certainly be a benchmark for how the team has responded to the increased emphasis on turnovers.

I think it has more to do with Bo is afraid to sit anyone. Look at 2010 When Martinez got hurt. We had a capable back up in Lee and rather than sitting Martinez for the rest of year(or let him heal) and letting Lee play he risked further injury to Martinez than to sit him and happened again in the Wyoming game. Hell all we had to do in the Wyoming game was run the ball on their defense and we win comfortably. He doesn't seem too concerned about the health of his players.

Never sits anyone? Care to explain to me the Texas '09, SDSU '10, and Texas '10 games?

There's always been an interesting balance between telling your players to do something and actually getting them to do it. Maybe it comes down to recruiting better, maybe the coaches just can't get the best message across... I'm not sure.

I'm reminded of our bowl game against South Carolina. IIRC, there was a deep pass touchdown where Alshon Jeffrey got behind our safeties. I believe the coaches were quoted sometime after the game as saying just before that play, they specifically told the players what to do to prevent the big play. The players just flat out didn't do it, and it had nothing to do with athleticism or Jeffrey being too good. The players were out of position after specifically being told where and what to do.

With fumbles, I also wonder where that disconnect comes from. I'm less inclined to think it's coaching when I hear about the emphasis placed on it or Ron Brown's "pledge of allegiance" philosophy when running the football. Fumbles haven't been an issue yet this year but Saturday will certainly be a benchmark for how the team has responded to the increased emphasis on turnovers.

I think it has more to do with Bo is afraid to sit anyone. Look at 2010 When Martinez got hurt. We had a capable back up in Lee and rather than sitting Martinez for the rest of year(or let him heal) and letting Lee play he risked further injury to Martinez than to sit him and happened again in the Wyoming game. Hell all we had to do in the Wyoming game was run the ball on their defense and we win comfortably. He doesn't seem too concerned about the health of his players.

Never sits anyone? Care to explain to me the Texas '09, SDSU '10, and Texas '10 games?

No, not really. I forgot Lee came in for Martinez against Texas in '10 until ez e said something.

Taylor Martinez is responsible for 75% of the fumbles and INTS. This is a TM problem. Ive never seen any one player have as many problems holding on to the ball, NFL or college, as he does. He's been dead last in the NCAA in fumbles the last THREE YEARS. Don't know how you can even begin to blame ANYONE else. The kid just can't hang onto the ball.

130902143522-taylor-martinez-single-image-cut.jpg

For some reason, Huskers used a worn out football thus no pimples grip and very slick. Equal to wet noodle. Too expensive to buy a new football ?

Taylor-Martinez.jpg

Virginia Tech - NU: 2, VAtech: 0................L

Without questionable back-to-back personal foul calls we may survive this one, but I'll give it to you as it DOES fit your premise of turnovers in big games

#4 Missouri - NU: 2, MU: 0.........................L

Did anyone really expect us to not get blasted in this game? Like....really.

#7 Texas Tech - NU: 0, TT: 2......................L

Wasn't this the "No Joe Ganz NO!" Overtime game with the missed extra point when pretty much all of us were like "OK we're gonna be cool"? Also I believe almost everyone had written us off in this game as well given the previous performance against Mizzou

#4 Oklahoma - NU: 4, OU: 1.......................L

Again, did anyone expect us to win this game...like seriously....

#13 Virginia Tech - NU: 2, VAtech: 0........L

Fair enough, two turnovers, but the real problem was 5 FGs and 0 TDs. And O'Hanlon hadn't been turned into the best safety in football yet

#20 Oklahoma - NU: 1, OU: 5....................W

No real complaint here, just leaving it because it was probably one of the most badass games I remember

#3 Texas - NU: 3, TX: 3...............................L

Win but whatever. #deadhorse

#18 Texas A&M - NU: 2, A&M: 0...............L

Amazing this was only two. One legged QB and a tired and completely figured out offensive gameplan. Plus also a win.

#10 Oklahoma - NU: 4, OU: 1.....................L

See game above, Watson sucks, blah blah blah.

Washington - NU: 2, WU: 0.........................L

Did anyone have any faith in the season at this point? I know I was done.

#6 Georgia - NU: 3, UG: 2...........................L

There's a lot of hate on this game, but I don't get how hanging with a team that was 5 yards from the NC game is a bad performance. Sure the last 15-20 minutes we didn't score but it ended up being only a two score game, when we were clearly the weaker team. I know moral victories are for losers, but "losers" was probably one of the nicer descriptions of the team as far as Huskerboard is concerned.

EDIT: Quoting this was way too complex for me at 2am, and I'm way too lazy to do it now. My comments are in blue as colors I can handle.

No, not really. I forgot Lee came in for Martinez against Texas in '10 until ez e said something.

There was also the South Dakota St game that same year. In 2009 in the conference championship game, Lee was benched for a series for Cody Green, but they stuck Green in back on the 1 yard line.

For some reason, Huskers used a worn out football thus no pimples grip and very slick. Equal to wet noodle. Too expensive to buy a new football ?

From my experience playing with balls, the old, broken-in ones are actually easier to grip.

In other words, pigskin pimples are unnecessary. Hmmm.....my experience was just the opposite from you especially moisure environment i.e. sweat, dew grass, rain, etc.

BTW, is it banned Stickum and other sticky goo in CFB? Lester Hayes (Raiders DB) practically covered himself in the stuff.

Still haven't seen anything on WHEN Taylor's fumbles were.

If you want to know look it up yourself. Im not going to do a ton of research just to show you. He fumbles alot when hes running the football, thats not hard to figure out. You would have to go back and watch all the games. I think you would be hard pressed to find any stats on when he fumbles. I think the vast majority of his fumbles came running the football, i think thats fairly obvious, but if you dont agree get a pen and paper go watch all 40 of his starts and come back and prove me wrong. Just watching the Michigan State and Wisconsin part 1 recently on BTN all those fumbles were running the football. I cant remember the last time hes fumbled getting hit on a blindsided sack.

Taylor Martinez is responsible for 75% of the fumbles and INTS. This is a TM problem. Ive never seen any one player have as many problems holding on to the ball, NFL or college, as he does. He's been dead last in the NCAA in fumbles the last THREE YEARS. Don't know how you can even begin to blame ANYONE else. The kid just can't hang onto the ball.

130902143522-taylor-martinez-single-image-cut.jpg

Taylor-Martinez.jpg

Some quarterbacks just prefer a worn ball. I was the exact same way...hated throwing brand new balls. New footballs often have a slippery feel to them, whereas a worn ball is normally more tacky and easier to grip.

• Fire 1