What did we learn

JJ Husker

I learned we have a bunch of negative nellies on this board! :lol:

Chillax guise. It's just one bad quarter, really. We take that quarter away and we're right in the thick of it. Let's just ignore the third quarter.

I think when the fellas here on the board re-watch the game, they're going to find some real positives we can build on.

You've got to be kidding. How do you write off a whole quarter of football and if you think for a second we held them in the 4th quarter....UCLA just started chewing clock. They had it in the bag and knew it. We were defeated, demoralized...we quit. I can't spin this thing positive...at all. We've played one good full game this year and it was against a team that's currently riding a 15 game losing streak with a new head coach. This team has become an embarrassment....and I'm trying my best to not be too negative cause my BP can't handle it.

I was kind of poking fun at the "it's just 5 bad minutes" argument that made the rounds after Wyoming. If you were here in my office when I read my post out loud before slamming the "Enter" button, you would have picked up on the touch of sarcasm. That's all on you, bud.

Honestly my first reaction was "he's got to be making a joke"...then you fooled me with you argument about watching tape and such....seriously though...there's been some people that can't EVER see a problem with this team. Plus I really, REALLY needed to vent all that anyway...

I learned we have a bunch of negative nellies on this board! :lol:

Chillax guise. It's just one bad quarter, really. We take that quarter away and we're right in the thick of it. Let's just ignore the third quarter.

I think when the fellas here on the board re-watch the game, they're going to find some real positives we can build on.

You've got to be kidding. How do you write off a whole quarter of football and if you think for a second we held them in the 4th quarter....UCLA just started chewing clock. They had it in the bag and knew it. We were defeated, demoralized...we quit. I can't spin this thing positive...at all. We've played one good full game this year and it was against a team that's currently riding a 15 game losing streak with a new head coach. This team has become an embarrassment....and I'm trying my best to not be too negative cause my BP can't handle it.

I was kind of poking fun at the "it's just 5 bad minutes" argument that made the rounds after Wyoming. If you were here in my office when I read my post out loud before slamming the "Enter" button, you would have picked up on the touch of sarcasm. That's all on you, bud.

Honestly my first reaction was "he's got to be making a joke"...then you fooled me with you argument about watching tape and such....seriously though...there's been some people that can't EVER see a problem with this team. Plus I really, REALLY needed to vent all that anyway...

Imagine the impact if UCLA didn't have to count their bad 1st quarter?

How do people blame the defense when the offense doesn't score a point for 37 minutes? An offense that goes 3/14 on 3rd down? An offense that had two of three touchdowns off turnovers on drives of 26 and 28 yards?

When your Defense lets the opponent score on 6 or 7 consecutive drives, most being touchdowns, it hard to not put the majority of the blame on the Defense. Taylor sucked today, but that is not the reason for the loss.

Has to be the most ignorant response I've ever seen. Why did they score on those 6 or 7 drives? How often were they out there? Why were they out there that much? How fast was UCLA running that offense?

Come on...every loss is a TEAM loss. That offense of ours which was supposed to be all-star fantastic went three and out AT LEAST FIVE TIMES IN A ROW.

Bo and Pap lack any ability to motivate their players. Scheme is fine, we had players in position most of the time. Players made those plays the first half of the game, so its not a lack of talent. Everything points to Bo and Pap lack the know how to motivate their players. Carl used the same scheme, but our defense played tough and with an attitude. Carl may not be a great coach, but at least our defenses didn't just stop playing for 2 quarters a game. Does Bo attitude rub off on the Offense? or is Beck lacking at times too?

Carl also had the NFL talent that Callahan left him. Pap is stuck with what Bo has recruited. Last year and this year the the first time that Bo has ever had to use players that he recruited, and you see the result of that on a weekly basis.

True, but much less talented teams do more with less. There is no excuse for the last 4 of 5 games. Hey, anyone would have looked good against So Miss.

How do people blame the defense when the offense doesn't score a point for 37 minutes? An offense that goes 3/14 on 3rd down? An offense that had two of three touchdowns off turnovers on drives of 26 and 28 yards?

When your Defense lets the opponent score on 6 or 7 consecutive drives, most being touchdowns, it hard to not put the majority of the blame on the Defense. Taylor sucked today, but that is not the reason for the loss.

Has to be the most ignorant response I've ever seen. Why did they score on those 6 or 7 drives? How often were they out there? Why were they out there that much? How fast was UCLA running that offense?

Come on...every loss is a TEAM loss. That offense of ours which was supposed to be all-star fantastic went three and out AT LEAST FIVE TIMES IN A ROW.

Ive seen some of your post, mine couldn't have been any worse than most of yours. We run the same offense here, they had all week to practice against a high paced spread team. Your blaming the loss on UCLA running a hurry up offense? wow

I learned that my day was better spent coaching my six year old girls to a win against a veteran team than it was watching the Nebraska game live.

And as much as I love coaching those girls, I should always care that I missed the game. I don't today, and my apathy disturbs me.

I'm kind of leary about bringing my daughter to her first game this Thanksgiving now, too. I don't want her first live game to be more of this weak sauce s**t against Iowa of all teams.

I'm kind of leary about bringing my daughter to her first game this Thanksgiving now, too. I don't want her first live game to be more of this weak sauce s**t against Iowa of all teams.

Take her to the game man. It would be an unforgettable experience and I don't think she'll care much who wins or loses or how it happens. That's not the important thing.

I learned that my day was better spent coaching my six year old girls to a win against a veteran team than it was watching the Nebraska game live.

And as much as I love coaching those girls, I should always care that I missed the game. I don't today, and my apathy disturbs me.

I'm concerned for you. There should never be a reason NOT to take your kid to their first game. I wouldve done it at the end of '07. Take it easy chief.

Ive seen some of your post, mine couldn't have been any worse than most of yours. We run the same offense here, they had all week to practice against a high paced spread team. Your blaming the loss on UCLA running a hurry up offense? wow

No, I'm not blaming the loss on one thing in particular. I'm blaming the loss on the entire team, period. But to not say that the offense going three and out didn't contribute to the defense allowing score after score is REE DIC YOU LUS

We have until November to figure things out. Here's my take on the game and the first three games of the season:

Today we came out and played with fire and played with intensity. There was, I think, ONE broken tackle by UCLA in the first half. The defensive line was dominating UCLA's strong offensive line. Hundley was pressured, Hundley was sacked, and James was met by a linemen almost immediately after getting the ball. The secondary gave up 2 big pass plays which compromised a majority of the Bruins's first half yards. SJB had another pick and they didn't throw his way for the rest of the game. That defense showed an incredible amount of promise, and why can't we think that can happen again?

Offensively it was just a rough day. UCLA has a young secondary so it amazes me that we didn't try testing them more. I thought we were going to come out with some different looks, but I don't think I saw any of that. Taylor has looked much too hesitant this entire year. He's thrown the ball well, but he hasn't shown that explosiveness in the running game. Why that is? I don't know. Is he hurt? Is Beck and Bo pulling the reigns? I don't know. The offensive line is not the best since Bo has been here, but I think it can be. We have the size, we should be able to open holes a lot better than we have.

So through three games, here's what I think about our defense and our offense. Honestly, I've been more impressed with the defense this year than our offense. And it's not because the expectations for the offense is higher. They have not moved the ball well and they have looked just plain flat every game. Maybe it's because we haven't been able to start fast (our first three drives have started inside the 10 and have all ended in punts after 3 plays). There's a lot to be excited about with this defense. We played well against Southern Miss, and our defensive front has generated more pressure on the quarterbacks than the past couple of years. The linebackers are learning and they've played pretty good as well. UCLA managed 210 yards rushing on 53 attempts (4 yards a carry). That's not bad and is certainly a step up from last year. But the secondary (aside from SJB) has been largely disappointing. Crazy to think that, because that has been our top unit the last couple of years.

We have 6-7 weeks to fix whatever needs to be fixed. The defense is fine. Keep doing what we've been doing as far as practice and scheming during the game. They're playing fine, don't let the yards fool you. But seriously, get that offense back to where it was last year. Come on, Beck. This is where we can make our defense look really good.