Players that aren't fulfilling their responsibilities

HuskerShark

Wow... Just wow... These are kids. Blame the people who put these kids in a position to fail. Ya know, the guy who makes $3 million/year to make sure these kids play well (large nose, short tempered). Blame that guy!

As the OP, don't take this topic the wrong way. I absolutely blame the coaches for the things that are going wrong. And that includes who they put on the field.

Listen, it's not like I'm calling out any of the true freshmen or anything like that. I cited 3 guys on defense who are seniors and have been pegged as leaders of this team, and yet they haven't played anywhere close to good enough to deserve a lot of praise. These guys are only a couple years younger than me. It's time for them to step it up, and if someone who mentions them in a thread on a message board affects them in a negative way, then they aren't very mentally strong. It's time to put up or shut up for these guys, or else next guy up. JMO.

Here is what I don't understand. Most people are saying we lack mental toughness. We play uninspired.

After the first game, which was embarrassing to say the least. We still seem to play uninspired. Why? How do you not get pissed off and try to fire up your teammates. Why do our players seem to hold back?

This quote pisses me off.

uYZoGTQ.png

• Fire 1

Here is what I don't understand. Most people are saying we lack mental toughness. We play uninspired.

After the first game, which was embarrassing to say the least. We still seem to play uninspired. Why? How do you not get pissed off and try to fire up your teammates. Why do our players seem to hold back?

uYZoGTQ.png

That pissed me off too when I read that. There's ALWAYS something you can do about it. It's called leading by example by making a big play, and then getting up, looking your discouraged teammates in the eye, and yelling "Come on!" The only guy doing that on Saturday was Ameer.... And then he fumbled.

uYZoGTQ.png

Classic Taylor, the old foot-in-mouth syndrome.

I can't blame anyone on the D-line when they are obviously not being told to rush. There were so many times they were just standing there, literally, slapping hands with the OL. Takes 1 OL to stand in front of 1 DL. All coaching.

I can't blame the DBs when the DL play is set up to force them to maintain coverage for 5+ seconds.

I can't blame the Rbs when they are clearly being schemed out of the game plan.

I can't blame the OL when they are being asked to operate as 4-5 different offensive units.

You can blame a player for a missed tackle, but where are the other 3-4 guys that used to be there gang tackling? 1 guy misses, he's taking it to the house. Blame the guy, or blame the scheme that put him on the island. I'm going to go w/ the scheme.

I agree with the OP. I've been saying it for quite some time now that Ciante is one of the most overrated players on our team. Aside from that tackle on the goal line against Blaine Gabbert, he hasn't done much of significance. He whiffs on tackle after tackle and isn't as great in coverage as we are lead to believe.

Andrew Green....well, what is there to say? He's basically Anthony West. Constantly getting beat, constantly missing tackles, constantly playing mistake ridden football.

Corey Cooper - I think he will end up being a very solid safety for us. Needs a couple more games under his belt.

Thad Randle - Either he is incredibly out of shape or he just plays the laziest brand of football I have ever seen. Game after game, he just stands up waiting to be blocked. There were a couple of screen shots in another thread of our front four and it's apparent that Thad is lethargically rushing the passer. I've been in his corner, hoping he'd get things turned around his senior year, but the injuries have clearly take a toll.

David Santos - I don't recall seeing him on the field much against UCLA. Hope to see more of the same going forward.

There's a player mentioned in this thread as an example of someone who's doing it right who really, really, really shouldn't be. He's a diva and even though he has all the talent in the world, I'd love to see him benched in favor of some of our younger guys.

That man is Jamal Turner. Drops passes that hit him in the hands. Half-hearted blocks. Complains about the officiating constantly, complains when a pass isn't exactly to his liking. That's not the attitude we need on this team.

• Fire 1

These kids are doing what they are being taught. They fail to accomplish what we as fans set as standards, name them for their failures and their coaches go unscathed. They read this stuff, so do future recruits. Tread lightly on this subject. It can do far more harm than it could ever do good.

It's not so much what they're being taught, but it what they're not being taught.

They're being taught to believe in a mythical magic scheme, that if you do it just perfectly, nothing bad will ever happen to them on a football field. When something, (and something always will by the way) goes wrong, they feel bad, things snowball, and that mean man with sweatshirt and headset yells at them.

So, what happens when that happens? The mean man gets reprimanded. God forbid we tell those delicate little flowers to toughen up. Hell, lets give then new uniforms! That will cheer them up!

I've had it. Turn Bo loose. I don't care if half the team quits. I want big boys who like to hit. The goddamn bookstore on campus is happy enough to sell me a sticker saying that for the school, but they don't seem to actually provide the actual product.

Wow... Just wow... These are kids

My sons stopped being kids at the age of 16. I suppose you could make the argument that young men are kids until the age of 18. But a 21 year old male is NOT a kid.

Playing college football for a man 18-22 years of age is exactly like working in a meatpacking plant or factory for a man 18-22 years of age. You screw up and you get yelled at by someone. If you don't like getting yelled at when you screw up, then walk on out of the place or stop screwing up.

Now, if you are getting yelled at because your boss screws up, then sound off like you have a pair and put people straight, OR sit their and take it.

Jack during the spring game was a kid. Everybody else out on that field in a football uniform is a man. I don't buy into this extend childhood reaching to 30 somethings.

Wow... Just wow... These are kids

My sons stopped being kids at the age of 16. I suppose you could make the argument that young men are kids until the age of 18. But a 21 year old male is NOT a kid.

Playing college football for a man 18-22 years of age is exactly like working in a meatpacking plant or factory for a man 18-22 years of age. You screw up and you get yelled at by someone. If you don't like getting yelled at when you screw up, then walk on out of the place or stop screwing up.

Now, if you are getting yelled at because your boss screws up, then sound off like you have a pair and put people straight, OR sit their and take it.

Jack during the spring game was a kid. Everybody else out on that field in a football uniform is a man. I don't buy into this extend childhood reaching to 30 somethings.

I agree w/ you, but at the same time I don't. An 18 year old in a meat packing plant is there because he's been forced to grow up. He's moved on with his "school" life. An 18 year old man in the military is forced to grow up. He's moved on with this "school" life. An 18 year old freshman or redshirt freshman is still a kid. College is just an extension of HS. He's still having his meals cooked for him by someone else. He's likely having his laundry done by someone else. His financial situation is taken care of. His next meal is not earned w/ a hard days work. You can go on and on, but at this point most of these are leading a life that's nothing more than a glorified HS experience away from home. They're still kids, because they haven't been yet forced to be men. You could argue that is part of the problem, but I don't believe every one of these kids are yet men. Some maybe, most not so much.

uYZoGTQ.png

Perhaps a good coach would respond, "Yes there is something you can do about it. You can take a seat."

Unfortunately, the coach seems to have the same "not much we can do about it" attitude. Sad.

I guess this is a good of place as any to ask this.

I didn't get to watch the second half and now I'm glad I didn't. Not sure if I'm going to. That said, I obviously didn't listen to any of the post game interviews either. BUT, one guy in my office this morning claimed that Taylor commented on that they came out after half "not to win but instead, not to lose".

Is this true?

if not, then the rest of my post means nothing. But, if it is true....

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you kidding me? You are in a game where you need to make a statement. You are on national TV against another ranked opponent and you have the ability to stomp on all the doubters comments and you come out of the locker room at half time with that attitude?

This is the fault of everyone in the program from the head coach to the water boy. The coaches should have these guys focused but even more so, a player at this level shouldn't have to have the coaches get him pumped up to stomp on a team like UCLA. Obviously, this isn't just Taylor but pretty much every player in the program.

If true, this is very disappointing.